What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My initial setup was running only the RT-AX86U that replaced my pair of AC86U units. No Smart Connect but same SSID on both bands and Roam Assist turned on on both bands. It was a couple of my 2.4g IoT devices that kept dropping of and reconnecting while running 386.7 I decided to add one of my AC86U units as a wired AiMesh node to see if that would solve the disconnects. I was running 386.7 on both units. I still had the drop out issues. I rolled both units back to 386.5_2 and no more drop off issues. I could probably run just the single AX86U but decided to keep the AC86U node for now. Right now, out of 48 wifi devices, only 3 smart switches are connecting to the AC86U node, all on the 2.4g band.

Hmmm I'm curious... were you & Laura running the 2.4 & 5G Radios with a separate SSID for each radio on the router.
Or were you using the combined Single SSID method.
All the electronic voodo magic (I mean automatic settings) with auto-switching & multiple AP or Nodes, Especially with overlapping areas of coverage in a household...
Have me looking as to the "why" a device chooses to disconnect.
Do they assume... suddenly, they have found a superior connection. (as in a Better Signal, or faster wifi connection type)
I have both labeled differently one is mynetwork the other mynetwork5g and smart connect off since that doesn’t work with aimesh.

Hmmm I'm curious... were you & Laura running the 2.4 & 5G Radios with a separate SSID for each radio on the router.
Or were you using the combined Single SSID method.
All the electronic voodo magic (I mean automatic settings) with auto-switching & multiple AP or Nodes, Especially with overlapping areas of coverage in a household...
Have me looking as to the "why" a device chooses to disconnect.
Do they assume... suddenly, they have found a superior connection. (as in a Better Signal, or faster wifi connection type)
My SSIDs are the same for both meshed routers.

AX58U. 1 week of 386.7 and i have had zero issues. My set up is simple and i don't use the 2.4Ghz band, disabled. I know many are having issues just not seeing it here. IPv6 works, no log crashes. Using manual ip addresses and DNS/TLS with DNS filter set to router.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 386.7 working on my AX88U. I could not use WAN Aggregation to get up to 2Gbps and I could never have set up an AIMesh with my AC3100. Full reset, no AIMesh with the 3100 worked. AI Mesh and gutting removing the node did not work. I also disabled ipv6, no idea if that made a difference. Adding back WAN Aggregation (2 network cables between AX88U and CM1050v modem for internet) broke it, using the AC3100 in an AIMesh broke 5Ghz and some of the extra settings like 160mhz and channel selection. No clue, was wanting to upgrade anyway and stuff was on sale.

Now the AX88U is an AIMesh node and primary router is a AX11000 (connected to a CM2050v) and both have been running 386.7 great all day. The network seems more stable and happier/snappier. Probably because everything is fresh. I added AdGuard, Skynet, Unbound, ntpMerlin, connmon, dnvstat, and scmerlin a couple hours ago. Still stable, everything streaming in 4K and HDR plus gaming.

Turned on TrendMicro and ipv6 about 30 minutes ago, still seems happy. We're leaving QoS off since we're getting much higher speeds on wireless and have not saturated the connection yet. This is on Xfinity (Comcast) 1200/50. All the devices are back to their normal 300-700 speed with AI Protection.

My devices: 2 x TR-AX86U / 2.5Gbps backhaul / smatr connect dual-band 2.4Ghz + 5GHz / without factory reset.

I went back to 386.5_2, it's stable and better for me. Version 386.7 = I had a problem with Sam S22 Ultra connections (5GHz / 160MHz channel band). Frequent disconnections and slow connections, WIFI speed drops from 900Mbps ---> 150Mbps ---> 50Mbps.
I have the same problem with my AX68U. I figure out 386.7 use more memory than 386.5_2, When free memory more than 70, my IPhone X can run at 866 Mbps. However, when free memory less than 70, my IPhone X can run at 433 Mbps only.

My initial impressions about AX86U were wrong. The router arrived with Asuswrt 46061 pre-installed and was updated immediately to the new Asuswrt 49447. Then it was flashed to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 firmware. The test results were quite disappointing compared to AC86U, described here:

But... today I had the time to test Asuswrt 46061 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 on AX86U and it shows almost identical performance to AC86U to my test AC clients with very close signal strength numbers reported and real transfer speeds, on any channel. I like better the wireless drivers in GPL 46065 used for Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2. @Smokey613 findings were the reason for my testing today and I can confirm AX86U works better on Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 firmware, at least in my Wi-Fi environment and with my test clients.

This is unrelated to RMerlin's work - different Asuswrt wireless drivers. For some reason the previous AX86U drivers work better.

My initial impressions about AX86U were wrong. The router arrived with Asuswrt 46061 pre-installed and was updated immediately to the new Asuswrt 49447. Then it was flashed to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 firmware. The test results were quite disappointing compared to AC86U, described here:

But... today and had the time to test Asuswrt 46061 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 on AX86U and it shows almost identical performance to AC86U to my test AC clients with very close signal strength numbers reported and real transfer speeds, on any channel. I like better the wireless drivers in GPL 46065 used for Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2. @Smokey613 findings were the reason for my testing today and I can confirm AX86U works better on Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 firmware, at least in my Wi-Fi environment and with my test clients.

This is unrelated to RMerlin's work - different Asuswrt wireless drivers. For some reason the previous AX86U drivers work better.
well, atleast you learned from @Smokey613 , your first initial thoughts on lesser models came to for tuition here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax56u-58u-or-ac86u.73199/page-3#post-706067 .

Short story long, newer is not always better and current stays current longer than the latest and greatest.

RT-AC68U is the golden standard. I rarely had something not working on this model. Some may disagree, but it's the most successful Asus router and perhaps still the most popular in its many variants from RT-AC66U B1 to RT-AC1900P. The cheap RT-AC66U B1 is perhaps the best budget router.

RT-AC68U is the golden standard. I rarely had something not working on this model. Some may disagree, but it's the most successful Asus router and perhaps still the most popular in its many variants from RT-AC66U B1 to RT-AC1900P. The cheap RT-AC66U B1 is perhaps the best budget router.
Well Tech9, I run 6 of them (different generations as well). I completely concur with you. Asus has saw that this model should be kept going through many different revisions. That has more weight than anything. It also tells you they continue to make money on it.

Odd, I’ve had some performance improvement in our home wifi environment. Who ever knows with these things.

Well Tech9, I run 6 of them

Nothing wrong with it. I have an installation with 4x RT-N19 routers model late 2020 with 4x4 Qualcomm 802.11n radios in a 10.000sqf house. All 5GHz communication attempts failed behind a single wall - reinforced concrete structure with 30cm thick aerated concrete blocks. The house is in Europe, built 1990, no network cables. Up to 90Mbps wireless is better than nothing. Older technology to the rescue, works perfectly and at low cost.

Nothing wrong with it. I have an installation with 4x RT-N19 routers model late 2020 with 4x4 Qualcomm 802.11n radios in a 10.000sqf house. All 5GHz communication attempts failed behind a single wall - reinforced concrete structure with 30cm thick aerated concrete blocks. The house is in Europe, built 1990, no network cables. Up to 90Mbps wireless is better than nothing. Older technology to the rescue, works perfectly and at low cost.
Hey if it saves you money and works better than the latest greatest, go for it.

Odd, I’ve had some performance improvement in our home wifi environment. Who ever knows with these things.

I did see higher link rates on Asuswrt 49447 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7, but on higher 149-161 channels only. On lower 36-48 channels the opposite - lower link rates and even few disconnections. Wireless drivers in Asuswrt 46061 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 are more consistent across all channels. Some folks in Asuswrt firmware thread report 160MHz is not working anymore with the newer drivers. Go figure. I'm going to take the router to my downtown apartment and run some tests there. Wi-Fi environment in high-rise buildings is a war zone.

I did see higher link rates on Asuswrt 49447 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7, but on higher 149-161 channels only. On lower 36-48 channels the opposite - lower link rates and even few disconnections. Wireless drivers in Asuswrt 46061 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 are more consistent across all channels. Some folks in Asuswrt firmware thread report 160MHz is not working anymore with the newer drivers. Go figure. I'm going to take the router to my downtown apartment and run some tests there. Wi-Fi environment in high-rise buildings is a war zone.
I use 36-48 and get the same link rates as before, but higher throughput and thankfully no dropouts so far. Could just be my area. But I get 50-100Mbps more throughput. Nothing crazy.

Well on ax86u, firmware is stable but wifi is not as nice compared to 386.5-2. Same experience as others on 386.7 and latest ax86u stock firmware.
I had issues with mobile phones dropping out. Back to last release for me

Is there any fix for rat?
See here for ASUS reply on ZuoRAT:

06/30/2022 Security advisory for ZuoRAT
ZuoRAT is a MIPS file however RT-AC5300, RT-AC68U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC1900P, RT-AC1900 are ARM–based routers. MIPS program cannot run on ARM–based processor.
ASUS strongly recommends that users update the firmware to the latest version which included more security measures to block malware.
To check the latest version, please visit the relevant ASUS support website. Download links are in the below table.
To help owners of these routers take necessary precautions, we compiled a security checklist:
(1) Reset the device to factory default: Login into the web GUI (http://router.asus.com) , go to Administration → Restore/Save/Upload Setting, click the “Initialize all the setting and clear all the data log”, and then click Restore button
(2) Update all devices to the latest firmware.
(3) Ensure default admin password had been changed to a more secure one.
(4) Disable Remote Management (disabled by default, can only be enabled via Advanced Settings).
---------------------------------------
Probably best to discuss that security vulnerability in the following thread to not clutter up this one

Last edited:
See here for ASUS reply on ZuoRAT:

06/30/2022 Security advisory for ZuoRAT
ZuoRAT is a MIPS file however RT-AC5300, RT-AC68U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC1900P, RT-AC1900 are ARM–based routers. MIPS program cannot run on ARM–based processor.
ASUS strongly recommends that users update the firmware to the latest version which included more security measures to block malware.
To check the latest version, please visit the relevant ASUS support website. Download links are in the below table.
To help owners of these routers take necessary precautions, we compiled a security checklist:
(1) Reset the device to factory default: Login into the web GUI (http://router.asus.com) , go to Administration → Restore/Save/Upload Setting, click the “Initialize all the setting and clear all the data log”, and then click Restore button
(2) Update all devices to the latest firmware.
(3) Ensure default admin password had been changed to a more secure one.
(4) Disable Remote Management (disabled by default, can only be enabled via Advanced Settings).
---------------------------------------
Probably best to discuss that security vulnerability in the following thread to not clutter up this one
This should be a new thread. Has nothing to do with this final release other than to install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!