What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can do that, but my findings on 46061 will change nothing since 49447 is out. So far every firmware I test has some issues. It's a balancing act between your needs and what works. If you get better Wi-Fi on 46061, don't use Guest1 network. If you have AiMesh and you need Guest1, don't use 46061.

I'm fine with using either firmware, but prefer using the latest for the usual reasons and because it does not exhibit the DoT/guest1 WLANs issue in 46061, confirmed on 3 AX86Us including one in my 2-node AiMesh.

Just spent the day mowing and working at speed and 2ac distances all around my 2-node AiMesh... my mobile did not skip a beat streaming over TuneIn.

Looking forward to your results...

About Quad9 - it's on the slow side in my area, single server in Toronto and one far in US when DoT is used. I was getting timeouts from time to time. Not very reliable service, feels like overloaded servers in the area. They need to upgrade/add resources or people will move away at one point.

I have the rare instance of browser slow-to-load, but not a show stopper by any means. I prefer Quad9 for its non-profit independence and focus on encrypted DNS, privacy, and crowd-sourced threat blocking... I want them (and AiMesh) to succeed.

OE

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the time to perform a factory reset of settings is right after changing firmware levels.

You want to start out with factory settings as defined by the current firmware level, not by the prior firmware level.
Thanks, now you say it it makes since but as its first time i didnt seem to do this right so if problems persist ill do it again in the right order

Thanks, now you say it it makes since but as its first time i didnt seem to do this right so if problems persist ill do it again in the right order

The default settings belong to the installed firmware. So, after you install firmware, reset it to its defaults and configure it from scratch for a clean install.

Reset FAQ
Reset/Restore - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores firmware defaults from CFE.
Hard Reset/Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs folder.

OE

My initial impressions about AX86U were wrong. The router arrived with Asuswrt 46061 pre-installed and was updated immediately to the new Asuswrt 49447. Then it was flashed to Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 firmware. The test results were quite disappointing compared to AC86U, described here:

But... today I had the time to test Asuswrt 46061 and Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 on AX86U and it shows almost identical performance to AC86U to my test AC clients with very close signal strength numbers reported and real transfer speeds, on any channel. I like better the wireless drivers in GPL 46065 used for Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2. @Smokey613 findings were the reason for my testing today and I can confirm AX86U works better on Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 firmware, at least in my Wi-Fi environment and with my test clients.

This is unrelated to RMerlin's work - different Asuswrt wireless drivers. For some reason the previous AX86U drivers work better.

Try AX clients and you may see a difference in throughput though not as much as the marketing people would make you believe

If it's confirmed broken in 46061 and fixed in 49447 on multiple units, I see no point spending time on it.

It's confirmed on 3 indentically configured routers. No one here has confirmed it, which is what bothers me. I thought it would appeal to your current testing craze.

For what's written on the website. I run few businesses and I'm a board member of non-profit organization. I don't believe in fairy tales.

We get it already... you're all knowing. :)

OE

We get it already... you're all knowing. :)

How many people do you represent with your opinion? I'm sharing my opinion based on personal experience - money don't come from thin air. No organization is independent. No one is giving you free resources just because you look pretty. This is of course completely off-topic for this thread, but stick to your own opinion and skip "we" next time.

Try AX clients and you may see a difference

The only difference is when AX radio is used for wireless backhaul and to few available laptop/desktop AX clients. No difference in user experience whatsoever to existing AC clients and phones/tablets with AX support. I cut off some marketing people already. :)

My internet speed page isn't formatted properly on chrome, I've tried shift+f5 & ctrl+f5 (Ax86u)

Attachments

• 2022-07-02.png
    2022-07-02.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
My internet speed page isn't formatted properly on chrome, I've tried shift+f5 (Ax86u)
Try Ctrl-F5 in eg Firefox.

I've noticed Trend Micro signatures are not updating automatically on my router (GT-AC2900 / 386.7). Manual check / update works fine.
Is this the expected behavior?

1656759743987.png

Now you know why many Indian folks pack their bags and arrive in Canada. They want an IPv4 address too.
healthcare, clean accessible water and sanitation have NOTHING to do with it, then? <eyeroll> <smh>

I've noticed Trend Micro signatures are not updating automatically on my router (GT-AC2900 / 386.7). Manual check / update works fine.
Is this the expected behavior?
There is nothing to update, 302 is latest, and was released only a few days ago.

The automated check is done every 48 hours, and updates are not always pushed to all models at the same time.

The memory use on my AX68U was over 90% after upgrade (and I gave it a few days) and it kept slowly creeping upwards. I went back to 386.5_2 and it's back below 70% used.
RAM is intended to be used...this is why a swap on a USB drive was implemented to great effect.

RAM is intended to be used...this is why a swap on a USB drive was implemented to great effect.
^^+1. It always cracks me up to see people absolutely freaked out to see that their RAM usage went up. In 99% of these cases, they have no negative consequences to report, just alarm on their part.

^^+1. It always cracks me up to see people absolutely freaked out to see that their RAM usage went up. In 99% of these cases, they have no negative consequences to report, just alarm on their part.
what's worse is that they've re-exposed their router and/or their network to the security threats patched by the latest release.
Only roll back if a required functionality is broken by an update; the alpha/beta process mitigates most issues from being issues at release, but edge cases slip through, because humans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!