What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, where could I find the "published Control Zone" for my local airports?
I see you're in the US by your sig (Xfinity is your ISP):
I believe the FAA is who maintains current info and publishes the charts stateside. You may be able to contact them with your GPS coordinates to determine whose airspace you might happen to reside within, but that's not all you should be concerned with: not only am I within a CZ, but there is a NAV beacon used by the commercial carriers at my airport for navigation purposes, so I'm often underneath planes coming from/going to the major international airport ~23NM from here, and the airport the big cargo folks use to the west of it (and me). They have radar emissions happening too, but WAY overhead (3000m+), outside what a router will do to them from the ground, but if my router gets their (higher energy) emissions...
Just stay away from the DFS stuff.

Seems like 386.7 has problems with 5ghz on AC68U, at least as an AiMesh node:

Just set up a new AC68U AiMesh node with 386.7 and wired backhaul. Only 2.4ghz was available, and only ~217mbps connection speed @ ~40dbm.

Switched to the latest official firmware (FW_RT_AC68U_300438648262.trx) and now I have 5ghz @ 1300 TX speed and 38dbm.

I see you're in the US by your sig (Xfinity is your ISP):
I believe the FAA is who maintains current info and publishes the charts stateside. You may be able to contact them with your GPS coordinates to determine whose airspace you might happen to reside within, but that's not all you should be concerned with: not only am I within a CZ, but there is a NAV beacon used by the commercial carriers at my airport for navigation purposes, so I'm often underneath planes coming from/going to the major international airport ~23NM from here, and the airport the big cargo folks use to the west of it (and me). They have radar emissions happening too, but WAY overhead (3000m+), outside what a router will do to them from the ground, but if my router gets their (higher energy) emissions...
Just stay away from the DFS stuff.
40 years as a pilot for USMC & Delta. Aviation sectional or wac charts will have the relevant data, and a google search will yield results for most anywhere in the USA/Canada...

What IPv6 issues do these test builds resolve?
Some people in this thread (or the beta thread, I can't remember) said that they were no longer able to obtain an IPv6 from their ISP with 386.7.

@RMerlin
What would cause a backup "settings" to not load on this build?
I can't get any backup to load now on this build and I've wipe and restored, gone back to stock, started fresh, etc...
I've taken 5 backups today and they all fail.

EDIT: saves are in .txt format (no personal control over this) : should they be .CFG ? I didn't change anything.
Appears to be caused by FireFox, so this is an unwelcome new change???

ASUS Restore not working7.6.2022.JPG

Code:
May  5 01:05:08 kernel: nand: Macronix MX30LF2G189C
May  5 01:05:08 kernel: nand: 256 MiB, SLC, erase size: 128 KiB, page size: 2048, OOB size: 64
May  5 01:05:08 kernel: bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: Adjust timing_1 to 0x65324458 timing_2 to 0x80040e54
May  5 01:05:08 kernel: bcm63xx_nand ff801800.nand: detected 256MiB total, 128KiB blocks, 2KiB pages, 16B OOB, 8-bit, BCH-4
May  5 01:05:08 kernel: Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
May  5 01:05:08 kernel: Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01
May  5 01:05:08 kernel: nand_read_bbt: bad block at 0x00000ab80000

Last edited:
Seems like 386.7 has problems with 5ghz on AC68U, at least as an AiMesh node:

Just set up a new AC68U AiMesh node with 386.7 and wired backhaul. Only 2.4ghz was available, and only ~217mbps connection speed @ ~40dbm.

Switched to the latest official firmware (FW_RT_AC68U_300438648262.trx) and now I have 5ghz @ 1300 TX speed and 38dbm.
Have two nodes with AC68U 386.7 firmware and both have 5ghz running on them at the correct 433Mbps showing on both when I am close enough to them. But I did have to reset both of the nodes and the Router and add the nodes back in to get things running smoothly but then I was doing dirty flashes for way to long so def my fault.

Have two nodes with AC68U 386.7 firmware and both have 5ghz running on them at the correct 433Mbps showing on both when I am close enough to them. But I did have to reset both of the nodes and the Router and add the nodes back in to get things running smoothly but then I was doing dirty flashes for way to long so def my fault.
Being brutally honest, & not in any way directed @RMerlin (as WiFi code is closed source)... I was never very happy when using AiMesh with 5G backhaul on any version to date.
IMO the router-node overhead steals too much (bandwidth/speed) for my liking +
When performing a speed test via (Ookla app/Android-11 phone)... as the download test exceeded 300Mbps the RT-AC68 Node would become unavailable, cease to function & require a reboot.
After re-wiring my house... via CAT-7 & implementing an Ethernet backhaul...
My Network seems to behave (for the most-part) as expected.

Being brutally honest, & not in any way directed @RMerlin (as WiFi code is closed source)... I was never very happy when using AiMesh with 5G backhaul on any version to date.
IMO the router-node overhead steals too much (bandwidth/speed) for my liking +
When performing a speed test via (Ookla app/Android-11 phone)... as the download test exceeded 300Mbps the RT-AC68 Node would become unavailable, cease to function & require a reboot.
After re-wiring my house... via CAT-7 & implementing an Ethernet backhaul...
My Network seems to behave (for the most-part) as expected.
Agreed. I use Ethernet Backhaul for both of my Nodes but the one in the backyard is going over a Powerline adaptor. That one was giving me all sorts of crazy issues every since 386.7 Alpha when Asus changed something with the Backhaul settings and only allow Auto or 5GHz and dropped the 1GHz Wan selection. I ended up rolling back to 386.5_2 and reset everything and started from scratch and all was running correct so then I updated to the latest 386.7 and reset everything again and so far all has been great for a week straight.

Have two nodes with AC68U

I could never get more than about 150Mbps throughput to clients from AC68U and variants when used as wireless AiMesh nodes, no matter what the link rate to the main router is. Same when AC68U is used as repeater. It is a repeater in wireless AiMesh configuration anyway. Wired AiMesh improves the speed dramatically. Wired in access point configuration and on different channel improves the speed further.

I could never get more than about 150Mbps throughput to clients from AC68U and variants when used as wireless AiMesh nodes, no matter what the link rate to the main router is. Same when AC68U is used as repeater. It is a repeater in wireless AiMesh configuration anyway. Wired AiMesh improves the speed dramatically. Wired in access point configuration and on different channel improves the speed further.
You know, now that you mention it...(perhaps my own memory just failed me) & while on Wireless backhaul: AiMesh my RT-AC68U would actually glitch when attempting to exceed ~200Mbps (NOT 300)...
But what I do know (for certain) is... I can now exceed 300Mbps ;-)
@Tech9 -You're always good at catching the smallest of details (whether people like it or not) LOL

You're always good at catching the smallest of details

Even in my own posts. Performance actually depends on what AC68U exactly, because one of the variants (C1 to be precise) has a bit better BCM43602 radio with own processing unit and perhaps can achieve better speeds. All the other models rely on the main CPU to drive the BCM4360 radio. I guess, limited throughput is directly related to this hardware difference. I never had C1 variant in my hands to test though.

With living in a very small town in the Andes Mountains of Colombia South America I only have internet speeds of 30Mbps on a good day o_O ... and that 30Mbps was because Fiber was just installed here in town a few months ago... before that I was lucky to get 5Mbps :eek:... So I can't really test speeds on my Nodes to see what the max is as I can't go any higher then 30. If I had a hardwired server I could probably setup something that lets me test the thru-put on my local WiFi network. Not sure how much I believe SPEEDTEST as I know the speed on the Orbi router that I get my internet from shows only 30Mbps on a good day but it also usesSPEEDTEST so go figure. I sure do miss high speed Fios that I had at my last house in PA. I see all these post here in this thread with close to1GB speeds and start to cry but then I remember its always around 75 here year round and I cheer right back up! :)

Attachments

• Speedtest.jpg
    Speedtest.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 93
  • OrbiST.png
    OrbiST.png
    30 KB · Views: 89
With living in a very small town in the Andes Mountains of Colombia South America

Brother, while you are living, most people in North America are paying their debts for life for the life on credit they perceive as high standard. Your Internet line is perfect. Enjoy the beautiful asymmetric Andes Mountains and don't pay too much attention on Gigabit symmetric fiber speedtests. ;)

Waiting to test Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2 (so we are not off-topic).

Some people in this thread (or the beta thread, I can't remember) said that they were no longer able to obtain an IPv6 from their ISP with 386.7.
@RMerlin,
I enabled IPV6 on the original 386.7 fw and didn't noticed anything unusual.

I did also update to the test fw 386.7_1 and all looks normal as well. Are the changes significant enough to either stay on the original or the test version for IPV6 purposes?

I appreciate any info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!