What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Jcquantum If you want to try again and get it working , I suggest a reset to defaults after the flash and a manual, minimum configuration so as not to get to far ahead without testing for the problem first.

Lots of wireless printers for instance will fail to connect if you enable Airtime Fairness on your router, something that Asus were enabling by default.

Here's the thing ... Only my Samsung ML-2165W (b/g) does not break the connection, but it is simply not visible in the connected devices in the Asus WebUI. And yet it connects to 2.4Hz and works great on a network and is available in a network environment.

p.s. Airtime Fairness enable always

After some tests back to 386.8:

QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor is broken in Merlin-WRT 388.1 and Asus-WRT 388_20558. Both set up from scratch with browsercache cleared and tested with different browsers.
It works for some minutes but changing units or switching between sites of settings leads to a broken Bandwidth Monitor while Status Page is not affected.
I really need it...

Last edited:
After some tests back to 386.8:

QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor is broken in Merlin-WRT 388.1 and Asus-WRT 388_20558. Both set up from scratch with browsercache cleared and tested with different browsers.
It works for some minutes but changing units or switsching between sites of settings leads to a broken Bandwidth Monitor while Status Page is not affected.
I really need it...
I have a AX88U and do not experience these issues. Bandwidth Monitor works all day all night.

After having many tests I don´t know where to search or how to fix. Had a small and plain setup with just one laptop via ethernet and one smartphone at wifi, no mesh, no scripts at all.
Failure is easy to reproduce with 388.1 and asus wrt. No failure with 386 at all....

Any hints???

After having many tests I don´t know where to search or how to fix. Had a small and plain setup with just one laptop via ethernet and one smartphone at wifi, no mesh, no scripts at all.
Failure is easy to reproduce with 388.1 and asus wrt. No failure with 386 at all....

Any hints???
Did you try resetting to defaults and hand configure from screen shots? Also don't import any settings or saved JFFS. Start slow, get the network up and test the bandwidth monitor. Then add any extras after that to see if it breaks.

So flash 388.1 and then reset to defaults after the quick setup utility is done. Then do quick setup again and proceed to test.

So flash 388.1 and then reset to defaults after the quick setup utility is done. Then do quick setup again and proceed to test.
Thanks for your advise...
That´s exactly what I´ve done...

Even if I start with 388.1 from scratch, it does´nt work. After downgrading from this situation to 386 and it works...

Last edited:
After several days with 388.1 on my RT-AX86u, I've reverted back to 386.7_2. Biggest issue was that 388.1 did not play well with my LG OLED on 5 GHz wifi. In the middle of streaming content, TV would disconnect from wireless, leaving me looking at a spinning wheel.

I'm also using 388.1 on GT-AXE11000 router. I originally was using Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.388.20499 and all was good. Then I updated to 3.0.0.4.388.21224 and I started to get dc on a couple of my nodes. I have 4 AX92U nodes. Worked with Asus for a long time and no resolution, so I decided to flash merlin. I then flashed 386.7_2 and the problem went away. Well I just upgraded merlin to 388.1 and the problems are back again. I'm assuming merlin was behind one firmware and now is up to date which reintroduced these problems? Don't know what to do at this point. My nodes don't support merlin. Should I downgrade to Asus firmware that worked so the whole system is using Asus firmware, or it's fine to have merlin on GT-AXE11000 and Asus firmware on nodes. Figured it wouldn't be issue since merlin is based on oem. Looking at the change notes from Asus firmware it looks like they Improved 5G/160MHz and 6G/160MHz throughput, so don't know if there is some issue with that. I didn't try a factory reset yet, I've been flashing back and forth dirty, because I don't wanna have to re setup my 4 nodes again.

After several days with 388.1 on my RT-AX86u, I've reverted back to 386.7_2. Biggest issue was that 388.1 did not play well with my LG OLED on 5 GHz wifi. In the middle of streaming content, TV would disconnect from wireless, leaving me looking at a spinning wheel.
Why not just switch to 2.4?

This build seems to resolve a frequent panic loop with 386.7_* on my AX88U that occurred when my current switch and the WAN port(s) were both connected.

I've noticed that odhcp6c is not running after boot for some reason, though. I had to run service restart_net to bring up IPv6. Is there any way to debug this? This was also happening in 388.1_beta3.

Question: I guess I never noticed before as I usually leave 'Firewall' at default values. in the UI, I see under 'Basic Config': 'Enable IPv4 inbound firewall rule' set to 'No' by default. Is this correct? Or does this only apply if I have set IPv4 Inbound rules?
Thanks for the answer to this 'dumb' Q, in advance

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 08-51-32 ASUS Wireless Router GT-AX6000 - System Information.png

Zero Issues with anything router related, Thank You RMerlin!

EDIT: Donation Sent (I Used The Wife's PayPal)

Last edited:
Firewall issue still present in 21709 stock Asuswrt. Tested in beta firmware thread. Another stock firmware update is expected soon.

Based on last two pages conversation - no one knows. Reset to factory after 388.1 update, configure manually from scratch and hope for the best. If your issue is not fixed - go back to 386.7_2 and restore your configuration from backup. Make sure you have a backup on 386.7_2 before you start.
@Tech9
Thanks for your input
I did read all 12 previous pages and did not see any post with similar problems, that's why i made the post
waiting to see if anyone else posted similar experiences
and
can see it is not unique to me
I'll wait for the next release
thanks again

Question: I guess I never noticed before as I usually leave 'Firewall' at default values. in the UI, I see under 'Basic Config': 'Enable IPv4 inbound firewall rule' set to 'No' by default. Is this correct? Or does this only apply if I have set IPv4 Inbound rules?
Thanks for the answer to this 'dumb' Q, in advance
This is new in 388. It allows you to manually define inbound rules. Most people should leave that disabled.

Also, in the logs, I now get the following:

kernel: bcm_i2c: bus 0: Failed to detect SFP: 100 retries exhausted
This is normal, this is the Linux kernel driver looking for an SFP port, which your router does not have.

I’ve done that a few time. No luck.
This is definitely a cache issue, as has been posted multiple times already in this thread. If you can't force reload the page (usually by pressing Shift while hitting the reload button), then clear your browser cache.

This is new in 388. It allows you to manually define inbound rules. Most people should leave that disabled.

This is normal, this is the Linux kernel driver looking for an SFP port, which your router does not have.
Thanks @RMerlin (or rather Eric)