What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the point of the beta/release threads then? Just release the firmware and don't accept any feedback.

Annotated changes between Beta 1 and final release for 388.1:

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng$ git log --oneline 388.1-beta1..388.1

76a3dabaf1 (tag: 388.1, origin/master, master) Bumped version to 388.1 final
50a67816a0 Updated documentation
0625e4fb14 webui: replace reference to DNSFilter in WAN Prevent DoH popup help   (USER REPORTED)
0a4887aca6 (tag: 388.1-beta4) Bumped version to beta 4
2896db0d70 Updated documentation
e484f7eb95 dropbear: disable DSS key support   (USER REQUEST)
865d4f39d5 rc: Fix the issue that option Enabling IPv4 Firewall Rules causes the entire LAN to be open over IPv6 (patch from Asus)   (USER REPORTED)
a8d8f1d89c (tag: 388.1-beta3) Updated documentation
cbf95d8d2c httpd: switch self-signed certificate from RSA to ECC
0343bed2b8 Merge branch 'master' of github.com:RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng
eed92b06e1 Merge pull request #824 from ikruglov/mssl_cert_key_match_with_ec
f8b7eefdee httpd: add support of elliptic curves in mssl_cert_key_match   (USER PROVIDED PATCH, FOLLOWING USER REQUEST)
79b4562413 rc: add wgserver-stop, wgserver-start, wgclient-stop and wgclient-start scripts   (USER REQUEST)
b5794650d8 rc: leverage already existing is_wg_enabled() function in hnd_nat_ac_init()
b2cc3b6d54 webui: ensure we show the main QoS page rather than the User Rules page when enabling Cake
1b334cdc92 rc: make hnd_nat_ac_init() aware of WireGuard state   (USER REPORTED)
933f4d74e6 Bumped revision to beta 3
d38e529fda (tag: 388.1-beta2) Update documentation
d5d74b7843 bwdpi: new cache bypass logic for BCM4912 which is now compatible with that platform (fix provided by Asus)
811f8da0d5 webui: hide WPA passphrase by default on wireless settings for the GT-AXE11000
b044136f42 webui: hide WPA passphrase by default on Wireless Settings for the GT-AXE16000
927c8513c6 webui: replace hardcoded Chinese labels with localized labels on Wireless router status pane   (USER REPORTED)
046227166f rc: implement inbound firewall for WireGuard clients (defaults to Block)   (USER REQUEST)
ec94039240 bwdpi: disable flow cache bypass by AiProtection on BCM4912 (fix provided by Asus)   (USER REPORTED)
cf74ee5066 lltd: fix dangling symlinks for RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 icons
7e7ff61ceb lltd: resync with upstream
478f0b9712 libovpn: update amvpn_update_exclusive_dns_rules() so OVPNC rules are before WGC rules
595d22d6ed rc: re-apply OpenVPN exclusive DNS rules after WGC rules, so they get inserted before them
961b9f2336 rc: re-apply WG clients exclusive DNS rules on firewall restarts   (USER REPORTED)
3627943427 rc: webui: remove NAT type setting from HND 5.04 models   (USER REPORTED)
5ac92c10a7 build: enable ASD on RT-AX68U (fixes missing libasc.so needed by networkmap)   (USER REPORTED)
f72f313807 webui: update reference to DNSFilter on WAN page   (USER REPORTED)
a253718ffc webui: fix VPNDirector's edit panel location  (USER REPORTED)
6710f7c803 webui: remove stray <tr> fromm VPNDirector's WGC client state  (USER REPORTED)
cff5673d3d Bumped version to beta 2

Every single fix that came from a user report or user request is annotated in this list (USER REPORTED, USER REQUEST, etc...)

That's why I have these beta threads. Don't just focus on the cases where I reject or ignore reported issues, look also at every single genuine report and request that I actually investigated and implemented. You can clearly see here that there are a lot of them.

Dirty upgrade from 386.8, no issues so far. Thank you, @RMerlin !

No frustration at all @128bit. I can try to help with my free time and available hardware or I can just ignore it and do something better. What I don't like in last few releases is a lot of people comment about similar issues and they are all ignored. I asked for a small note on Asuswrt-Merlin website about AX58U/AX3000 V2 - ignored. It will save a lot of questions and prevent mistakes - no, not happening. I tested for hours AiMesh combinations on 3 different firmware bases - ignored, it works here between two routers. Questions about Asuswrt-Merlin AiMesh issues come every day and we can help - nope, let them try. It's like the main goal is generating more threads on SNB Forums. Obviously there is something else I don't know about.
i get it, k. look, my vpn director problem is still being igged but i'm good on 386-72.

look, i likely understand you more than most since i managed a test department. when you have scripts and equipment, reproducing problems is a lot easier. course expertise is always key and i've come to realize that i'm outgunned in this discipline. i laugh cause i've had formal tcp/ip training!

i'm curious now to see what "stock" may be like. it's been well over 5 years running merlinware. retired now, so i have some time.

peace

Don't just focus on the cases where I reject or ignore reported issues

I focus on things I know about, I have personally tested and verified - AiMesh and Wi-Fi. Both are core functions. This is what I test first on new releases. AiMesh issues - easy to replicate on most popular models. If there is no solution on your end - change the Wiki page because it's incorrect. There are workaround options and the information has to be provided. Multiple threads about it - we can write some instructions. Wi-Fi issues - harder to replicate, but two different firmwares with the same settings and the same client showing different behavior - the client is not the issue. In this bridge specific case the first workaround I found is a reboot, for example. If I play more with router settings I may find another, don't know yet. When I find it - I'll post it for someone else to use. Instead of actually helping people issues are swept under the carpet until someone else complains and then it starts all over again.

retired now, so i have some time.

Not retired yet, but others work for me and I have some time. Trying to help, but hitting the wall and losing interest in firmware testing fast.

The real voodoo is in the GPL numbers:
  • 20566 ASUS initial 388 Release for AX86U
  • 21224 Merlin 388.1 Release for AX86U and others
  • 21709 ASUS latest 388 release for AX86U
21224 is almost right in the middle of ASUS’ own releases. How ready was ASUS’ interim GPL, really? Apples and oranges, but was it good enough for a final release?

The real voodoo is in the GPL numbers:
  • 20566 ASUS initial 388 Release for AX86U
  • 21224 Merlin 388.1 Release for AX86U and others
  • 21709 ASUS latest 388 release for AX86U
21224 is almost right in the middle of ASUS’ own releases. How ready was ASUS’ interim GPL, really? Apples and oranges, but was it good enough for a final release?
Was one of them the version that fixed the IPV6 firewall issue?

Maybe the IPV6 fix is included in the rather vague "improved system stability".

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709
Version 3.0.0.4.388.21709 70.84 MBytes
1. Optimized memory usage and improved system stability.

RT-AX86U & Cable IPTV STB on WIFI 5G
v386.7_2 ='s rock solid
v388.1 ='s constant buffering; last sec replay, wifi disconnects cause STB reboots
downgrade to v386.7_2 and its rock solid again
what should I be looking for?

Quick feedback for GT-AX11000

Upgraded from 386.7_2 to 388.1_0_rog

First boot and UI refresh took a while to properly show the new ROG interface but after that it works fine and now a reboot seems a bit quicker than before. Didn't like the ROG interface initially but looks like it is growing on me!

Everything worked but my Samsung phone showed 2 warnings (no internet on router and unable to use private DNS) even though internet continued to work with these errros. The errors went away as soon as I removed the private DNS settings or switched to a different router/mobile internet.

I use dnscrypt-proxy and few more DNS servers for streaming and games in "DNS Director" so refreshed dnscrypt-proxy but that didn't change anything.

Finally after much fiddling I configured the phone in "DNS Director" to use "No Redirection" and both errors were gone. I didn't have to use this setting for the phone before so this is something new with the latest firmware.

Thanks for the update, and appreciate all your hard work. I did notice an issue with the new ROG UI. When selecting 'Network Map' and 'Status', then 'Ethernet Ports' area doesn't seem to display any information and possibly a bug with how it should be displayed? I just thought I'd mention it and see if perhaps anyone else has noticed this? It's great to be able to have the ROG UI, even with it being experimental. Thank You RMerlin.

Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 5.08.48 PM.png

Thanks for the update, and appreciate all your hard work. I did notice an issue with the new ROG UI. When selecting 'Network Map' and 'Status', then 'Ethernet Ports' area doesn't seem to display any information and possibly a bug with how it should be displayed? I just thought I'd mention it and see if perhaps anyone else has noticed this? It's great to be able to have the ROG UI, even with it being experimental. Thank You RMerlin.

View attachment 46119
Force a refresh of that page with CTRL+F5

Firewall issue still present in 21709 stock Asuswrt. Tested in beta firmware thread. Another stock firmware update is expected soon.

RT-AX86U & Cable IPTV STB on WIFI 5G
v386.7_2 ='s rock solid
v388.1 ='s constant buffering; last sec replay, wifi disconnects cause STB reboots
downgrade to v386.7_2 and its rock solid again
what should I be looking for?

Based on last two pages conversation - no one knows. Reset to factory after 388.1 update, configure manually from scratch and hope for the best. If your issue is not fixed - go back to 386.7_2 and restore your configuration from backup. Make sure you have a backup on 386.7_2 before you start.

~~ You know I just play with the routers - what I do is read about issues and attempt to replicate. Some reported issues I simply can't see no matter what ~~ (sic)
Nobody is questioning your technical ability and/or your own conclusions & opinions after conducting your own tests / issue replications / experimental actions etc
This is despite the fact, that some resultant posts, are either very opinionated and/or focused only on very narrow-minded poster's conclusions (IPv6 ...cough).
There's lots of room for differences of opinion / opposite technical viewpoints, in any tech forum to be fair, but normally, approach & context are always relevant.

FWIW What you haven't done, yet... is provide your own, free issue, publicly available, firmware products, as alternatives to the OE Asus firmware products.
Unlike @RMerlin who has...

If you do feel dedicated, keen & totally focused on achieving top performance for all users, on an FOC basis, you could change your position, any time you want.
If you do, that would also give you a deeper insight & a more relevant perspective, of the variable position(s) that others who do do this, regularly experience.

I've already posted in this thread, that my own upgrade to 388.1 firmware was a complete and total success with no unforeseen issues at all, so I apologise if this latest post is off (thread topic), but this whole recent section of off (thread) topic exchanges, will hopefully desist naturally, now.

narrow-minded poster's conclusions

Yes, of course. It always goes personal at some point. Thank you for the confirmation I'm only wasting my time.

What you haven't done, yet... is provide your own, free issue, publicly available, firmware products, as alternatives to the OE Asus firmware products.

I don't have to be a cook to like or dislike the food served. I can tell when there is too much sugar added though.

complete and total success with no unforeseen issues at all

One of the scripts you use wipes eventual custom configurations with no warning, so careful. Wasted my time testing, got a surprise.

Leaving the conversation, you guys deal with AiMesh and Wi-Fi issues. Someone to help @jeepr above with expert advise, post #250.

Last edited:
3.88.1 dirty over 3.86.8 AX88U, hard reboot after, no settings altered.

Link keeps going down, then back up every 5 secs (log has this also). Broadband down errors on TV, buffering, unwatchable - constant broadband down/broadband up messages.

Back to 3.86.8, and all is fine and back to normal. I use nothing on router, VPN etc. Fibre 900 connection.

Link keeps going down, then back up every 5 secs (log has this also). Broadband down errors on TV, buffering, unwatchable - constant broadband down/broadband up messages.

Back to 3.86.8, and all is fine and back to normal. I use nothing on router, VPN etc. Fibre 900 connection.
Well here also a dirty update on my AX88U. No problems to report, iptv works fine (STB's via cable connected to router). Having a Fibre 200 connection

Did you try a reset to defaults with a manual, minimum setup before you reverted back to the previous firmware?

Did you try a reset to defaults with a manual, minimum setup before you reverted back to the previous firmware?

I've had similar issues when I upgraded my AX88U from 3.86.8 to 3.88.1. Then I went back to 3.86.8 without issues. Both upgrade/revert I didn't do a reset to default values.

Dirty flashed my RT-AX86U and RT-AX88U, no problems after ~60hrs.

AIMesh is working as expected with my AX86U as main device and the AX88U and an AC68U as nodes with a wired connection.
All rock steady. Great work!