What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some say yes, some say its not necessary. Being one of the few with zero problems I say definitely yes - especially with such a large upgrade.
As others have said, @RMerlin mentioned a Factory Reset is not required, at least coming from a few revisions back.
I did not have to do a Factory Reset and my AX88U with AX58U nodes are working fine.

With all that said, besides insuring the “hidden” nvram variables are in sync with the firmware, I also believe a FR also “cures past sins”. ;-)

With much of the tweaking, changing, tuning we sometimes do with our routers - we (unkowingly) are our worst enemy. A Factort Reset and manual reconfigure get us back to what should be a stable starting point.

Is it a middle-road solution to export and import settings again? That will not mess up anything will it?
I think it would be "a road to hell"...;-)

Seriously it would be the same as no reset. I strongly recommend a hard reset and build up the network from zero.

The AX55 is not supported AFAIK. I have one set up as a wireless mesh node with the stock firmware. Works great for me.
Would it be worth buying an AX56U they’re supported and at the moment I can get it for 35% off, cheaper than Amazon Australia is selling the AX55

I did a factory reset for my GT-AXE11000
After entering all the settings manually all worked fine for about 2 - 3 hours and then all clients started disconnecting. So it didnt help in my case.
Went back in the setting and disabled ch 160 and all is back to normal.

I did a factory reset and did not tweak any of the settings - just the wifi related setting for connection. Everything else stock standard.

Edit - went back to my previous backup - yes Target Wake Time is disabled. 160 channel is disabled too. No issues.

I love the Merlin a lot wit big thanks to Merlin.:cool:
Is there any chance of getting DHCP assigning fixed addres at the Guest network. I currently used that for my IOT devices to isolate those from my primary PC network.
It would be nice if some those also got a fixed addres. Or am I talking BS now?

Which router are you using?
I think you'll have to enable intranet access so guest devices to be assigned a static IP via dhcp. But that defeats the main point of using the guest network doesn't it?
I wonder if that function could be added to YazFi(?).

Is there any chance of getting DHCP assigning fixed addres at the Guest network. I currently used that for my IOT devices to isolate those from my primary PC network.
You can add custom host names tied to hardware MAC addresses, but not static IP addresses, when Intranet access is disabled (as it should be for IoT devices).

Thought things were working better after a factory reset but a couple days later web history stopped working again and locks up the GUI. I don't show signs of spdmerlin working in the GUI either as I first thought.

Use Guest 2 to assign fixed ip as they are in the same IP range then disable intranet access for security isolation.

If you are using an RT-AX86s please use RT-AX86U_386.5_2.zip this is the stable firmware for you're router. The rest has many problems with being stable. This is the firmware witch I can use, Adware Home en Skynet on.

If you are using an RT-AX86s please use RT-AX86U_386.5_2.zip this is the stable firmware for you're router. The rest has many problems with being stable.
I have RT-AX86S and no problem with it. I had it on Asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4.388.20566 before flashing to Merlin’s 388.1 and doing factory/jffs reset.

Different environment/settings, different outcome. But start from scratch is the best way forward.

@RMerlin, As I'm going through final wrapping of gifts for upcoming visit with family and friends tomorrow, I'm also taking time to perform a full factory reset on my AX88u (which I haven't done in a very long time) and am thinking about how thankful I am that you've been supporting the many ASUS wifi routers I've used over the years, most chosen because you've supported them and have dedicated your time to contribute to this community. Here's wishing you and yours and the members of this comunity a safe, happy holiday season.

Merlin-a little gift wrapped for you, too, in your PayPal. Thank you.

I have RT-AX86S and no problem with it. I had it on Asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4.388.20566 before flashing to Merlin’s 388.1 and doing factory/jffs reset.

Different environment/settings, different outcome. But start from scratch is the best way forward.
I had many issues with it, but normally I could flash it without being at stock first. So I don't know why I have to lose all settings for this update.

I had many issues with it, but normally I could flash it without being at stock first. So I don't know why I have to lose all settings for this update.
Quite a mixed feedbacks with 388.1 especially AX86U/S. Particularly with nodes/AiMesh/5Ghz. Slow start on my 5Ghz on reboot but not a big issue and no dropouts. When I finally flash my AX86U, decided not to restore jffs backup. Hard work for one dev providing good FW for hundreds of us and thank you @RMerlin

@RMerlin

I have a suggestion. modify wireguard client to show Public IP same as openVPN.
(Modify gettunnelip.sh to be displayed in wireguard client.)
/usr/sbin/ministun -t 5000 -c 1 -i wgc2 stun.l.google.com:19302

Last edited: