What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 is now available for all supported Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm back on 386.7_2 since I couldn't resolve the constant drops on 388.1. I tried flashing it twice and cutting power to it as well, but no luck. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a restore after flashing, since I read earlier that another person tried it and still had issues. Although I might try it anyway this weekend.
I recommend you record settings with screen shots. Then upgrade and see if the problems return. If they do, do a factory reset and configure using the screen shots as a guide.

Good luck

388.1 on AX88 solid here for almost 4 days with Smart TV's, Camera's, Tablets, doorbells, phones, watches, thermostats, streaming boxes and such. Wifi solid, on the AX88 using 160Mhz/DFS and working fine. Initially I had the AX86 AIMESH nodes on 388.1 as well, but ran into that AIMESH display issue that's been posted about several times. So I dirty upgraded/downgraded (depending on your perspective) them from 388.1 to Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21709, they ran and were running fine.

Just today I hard reset (Method 2 WPS) the two AX86 mesh nodes that are on stock firmware just to start clean from a known good state with them. Was able to easily rediscover and add them back in, one using the browser on the PC, the other using the iPhone App. I have not been able to confirm whether the mesh nodes picked up the same wifi settings as the router (160Mhz/DFS) yet, and haven't seen conclusively whether a mesh node will pick up and use those settings either, but as it's closed source not much can be done. Mesh AX86 nodes are wired back haul back to the AX88 (on 388.1), a few other devices hard wired into each them, the rest wireless. the AX88 also a mixed of wired and wireless. No complaints so far.

Minor issue with DDNS with IPV6 enabled is that DDNS occasionlly fails to renew/goes inactive. Can't say that it's 388.1 as it appears as a timeout in the log / getting a response (using ASUS). But's that minor and an easiy fix to have it refresh. If it becomes a nuisance or is more clear in the logs I'll chase it down, but until then it's all good.

Another reason for starting fresh on the mesh nodes with the stock firmware was this post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/2-x-ax86u-group-aimesh-wifi-question.81935/#post-804540

Thanks @RMerlin

1670633108607.png

All is goodie here 6 days uptime.
GO UPTIME GO!!!

Why is this line coming up so often in syslog?
Code:
Dec 10 15:55:52 kernel: wl0: random key value: ACCF7786D81D3A3652EE0381164A0456969A920B220E0E025AC3F6933FD7646F

Why is this line coming up so often in syslog?
Code:
Dec 10 15:55:52 kernel: wl0: random key value: ACCF7786D81D3A3652EE0381164A0456969A920B220E0E025AC3F6933FD7646F
That's a normal message that's generated every time a WiFi client connects. It's present in all firmware versions and is not specific to this release.

I got some issues on tv connected via lan on router. Cable is new, tv is set on automatic IP in tv settings. On router I assigned manual IP to TV - 192.168.2.8.

Internet on TV is working. but I got this message

1.jpg

I got some issues on tv connected via lan on router. Cable is new, tv is set on automatic IP in tv settings. On router I assigned manual IP to TV - 192.168.2.8.

Internet on TV is working. but I got this message
Does the TV have a 100mbit/s Ethernet port? That would explain the message and there is nothing you can do....
Otherwise check the cable...

Dirty Flash left me unable to access login screen. Doing reset on AX3000 and all XD4s (on stock) fixed it. Smooth sailing for last 48 hours.

Last edited:
Another time to report the WiFi issue like other users. No I'm not dumb, no it's not a magical thing. 388.1 WiFi is broken on my AX86U, never have a problem since 2 years and always dirty flashed. NEVER has a WiFi problem before (Auto DFS + 160 Mhz, no Smart Connect) always got ultra high speeds (2.5Gb/600Mb fiber). Now I'm experiencing instable WiFi with constant drops in connection (Not the WiFi cutting for all clients, it seems that this issue is a per client based (So if Wifey WiFi drops, mine is ok, and inverse is also true)). @RMerlin I know that you don't care about WiFi but this time it's a real issue (Especially when I never experienced issue in 2 years with multiple FW and not a settings changed since). I tried nuclear reset etc always got the issue after. I tried to flashback 386.7_2 and found absolutely no problem, it runs smoothly for a week. I also know that it's probably close source, but could you please report it to Asus? You will have more power than us. I can help testing beta FW with fix. Also, if you don't trust us, redo your experiment with multiple compilation, you will see that we don't lie ;) Thank you for your work

Another time to report the WiFi issue like other users. No I'm not dumb, no it's not a magical thing. 388.1 WiFi is broken on my AX86U, never have a problem since 2 years and always dirty flashed. NEVER has a WiFi problem before (Auto DFS + 160 Mhz, no Smart Connect) always got ultra high speeds (2.5Gb/600Mb fiber). Now I'm experiencing instable WiFi with constant drops in connection (Not the WiFi cutting for all clients, it seems that this issue is a per client based (So if Wifey WiFi drops, mine is ok, and inverse is also true)). @RMerlin I know that you don't care about WiFi but this time it's a real issue (Especially when I never experienced issue in 2 years with multiple FW and not a settings changed since). I tried nuclear reset etc always got the issue after. I tried to flashback 386.7_2 and found absolutely no problem, it runs smoothly for a week. I also know that it's probably close source, but could you please report it to Asus? You will have more power than us. I can help testing beta FW with fix. Also, if you don't trust us, redo your experiment with multiple compilation, you will see that we don't lie ;) Thank you for your work
Same issues here, it began with beta 1. A perfect test case for me is to stream from a Eufy camera.. within 5 mins the connection drops out. Clean install makes no difference, rolling back to 386.7_2 resolves it. However, this is not a Merlin issue.. there's nothing in his code that would cause this, it is an ASUS problem so best to follow it up over there. I tested this on stock ASUS firmware... same problem.

Curious if you have any additional add-ons running, or have tweaked some of the default Wi-Fi settings. The reason I ask is I had the exact same issue on my AX86U, but a nuclear reset with minimal add-ons (YazFi/AdGuardHome) and default Wi-Fi settings sorted my issue.

Curious if you have any additional add-ons running, or have tweaked some of the default Wi-Fi settings. The reason I ask is I had the exact same issue on my AX86U, but a nuclear reset with minimal add-ons (YazFi/AdGuardHome) and default Wi-Fi settings sorted my issue.
Tried nuclear reset without add-ons too + all default WiFi settings, but same issues. I only have Diversion installed (So of course AMTM + Diversion + PixelServ). Only changed Advanced WiFi MU-MIMO things in order to activate it. But have it too on 386.7_2. All my settings was the same from 386.7_2 and 388.1. It seems that fixing the channel to a specific one solve the problem. Putting it in auto causes the issue to got back. I'm testing this workaround ATM so not a 100% thing here, but too everyone having the issue, try to test it and tell me if it fixes the issue! (So, no smart connect + WPA2/3 + MUMIMO on + 160 Mhz). I only do tests on the 5 Ghz band as the 2.4 is useless in term of speeds for me

There is nothing wrong then... I get the same message on the line that connects my OBI202 (that has a 100mbit/s port). Anytime you connect at speeds other than 1gig the router shows that warning...
That doesn't make sense why then message.

AX88U now 5 days 11 hrs uptime. First impression was stable, but can confirm random wifi-dropouts - from laptop and samsung phone, at least when they are connected as AX-devices.
Have not checked when they connect as AC-devices.

That doesn't make sense why then message.
I agree that it doesn't make sense - just sharing my observation. Any 100mbit/s connection shows in yellow with the warning - I guess someone at Asus forgot that there are 100mbit/s devices out there...

Probably not Merlin specific issues regarding WiFi clients dropping especially iOS. See Reddit
Not sure about security patch etc but seems like most of the first party/embedded iOS stuff has been crashing. Which is good imo. Things like tccd, preferences, notification extensions etc.

edit : just an observation