What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 Beta is now available for Wifi 6 models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where was it shown? Inside Asus-App or also inside website?

From the web gui, after another reboot.
Ax88u as router
Ax88u Mesh Node
Ax56u Mesh Node.

Lets see if that would fix itself in 20m like first time it did.

Edit 1: 11m took to my second node to ID as a wired Node,
15 min since boot to my firse node to ID as wireless node.
Well, I dont know how to explain it, except soemthing has changed with the wireless discovery proccess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230406_162640_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230406_162640_Chrome.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
RT-AX3000... dirty update from Alpha1 to Beta2... reboot after 15 minutes... running flawless for 3 days now.

Clients are AsusWRT-Merlin routers based on ovpn 2.4.x and 2.5.x, they create remote tcp/udp subnets, all of them have ipv4 addresses. They are connected to server on main router (rt-ax86u with latest beta). When I connect via ssh to main router and try to ping any of the branches (these client routers) I cannot achieve them until I enable ipv6 on this main router. Then I can ping anything (all devices) in all subnets. If I disable ipv6 on main router then all ping are muted.
Do you mean disabling IPv6 support on the OpenVPN Server settings, or disabling IPv6 globally on your WAN interface?

From the web gui, after another reboot.
Ax88u as router
Ax88u Mesh Node
Ax56u Mesh Node.

Lets see if that would fix itself in 20m like first time it did.

Edit 1: 11m took to my second node to ID as a wired Node,
15 min since boot to my firse node to ID as wireless node.
Well, I dont know how to explain it, except soemthing has changed with the wireless discovery proccess.
Maybe you missed an IP reservation?

Running dig/nslookup on my test router's DDNS only returns the IPv4 even tho the inadyn plugin did push the IPv6 to the server. I don't think it's fully working yet.
Using those two ^ methods @RMerlin as opposed to all the other exterior test sites that I used previously, FWIW:
From my router (via SSH), I can successfully retrieve all of the correct IPv4 and IPv6 DDNS records (ASUS & No-IP) for the router itself, by using nslookup
Then, using dig (via terminal) from any MAC device on my LAN (not from on the router itself via ssh, like with nslookup), I can again, successfully retrieve all of the correct IPv4 and IPv6 DDNS records (ASUS & No-IP) for the router itself. I can't use dig on my router as I haven't installed it - yet.
Via nslookup, The DDNS Name is followed by IPv6 - Address 1 and IPv4 - address 2 for each of the DDNS names, but, all records (correctly) are prefaced with:
Code:
Server:    127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
Via dig, IPv6 and IPv4 addresses I call up separately (A / AAAA) with or without +dnssec and/or +multi additions and full records are returned for all, each & every time.

I can't comment on your specific router & I don't know your specific ISP config etc but, ASUS DDNS IPv4 and IPv6 is all good for me with the setup that I have (forum sig and FTTH Dual Stack IPv4 / IPv6 via ISP). I also use No-IP for DDNS and that too, works on both IPv4 and IPv6.

For reference; I have an **.asus.comm/com DDNS name that's fully operational on both IPv4 & IPv6 all configured via the WebGUI panel. Both can be checked & tested independently and do provide the correct results. AFAIK ASUS did finally resolve everything on their previous long list of IPv6 DDND issues. I only use Merlin firmware releases, so I can't comment on the Stock firmware experience but others can. There was a small IPv6 DDNS related fix that came as part of this beta2 firmware FYI.

See previous comment @RMerlin but with your current beta2 firmware release, I have no current issues with IPv4 & IPv6 DDNS. My own tests and usage are all good.
It may be that whether IPV6 Asus DDNS works as intended is related to how IPv6 is configured and/or the router model. For instance on my RT-AX88U, I am using Native IPv6, DHCP-PD, Stateless and Cloudflare DNS servers. IPv6 works fine, but (out of the box) DDNS fails with
Code:
ddns: eth0 has not yet obtained an WAN IPv6 address
as with this setup eth0 only has a link local (fe80:...:1) address and where the WAN IPv6 is attached to br0

I resolve this by creating ipv6add.sh in /jffs/addons/ddnsipv6
Code:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 20s
ip -6 address add dev eth0 $(nvram get ipv6_rtr_addr)/128
nvram set ddns_ipv6_update=1
service restart_ddns
effectively attaching the br0 IPv6 address to eth0 and calling the script from post-mount by adding
Code:
sh /jffs/addons/ddnsipv6/ipv6add.sh

The sleep variable may need to be changed depending on what else is running at boot, as it needs to be long enough for the ISP IPv6 addresses to be setup (these are much slower than the IPv4 ones)

Maybe you missed an IP reservation?

Why should I have any special reservation for the nodes?
Never thought it would be required, any special significance for it?
Never needed it before.
Would appreciate the elaboration about this one, you got me interested...

Why should I have any special reservation for the nodes?
Never thought it would be required, any special significance for it?
Never needed it before.
Would appreciate the elaboration about this one, you got me interested...
You misunderstood. A DHCP reservation must NOT exist.
I thought there might be one that is causing this error.

So we are on the same page here.
No reservation for these nodes, whatsoever.
Nodes, as I treat them logically- are not end clients, so I do not manage them the same way as an end client is being handled.

What on earth are you two talking about?
And... Is it relevant to this thread?

What on earth are you two talking about?
And... Is it relevant to this thread?

Yes, it is- I guess there is some kind of bug in the discover proccess of wireless Nodes in a network, and our dear fellow here tried to help.
I trully appricaite the willingness, untill Rmerlin would check this, if it is in his control (which I guess it is not- and it is subject to ASUS fix, hopefully will be fixed in a small patch or something and not to have to wait to next GPL).
That's something that has began in this course, not sure whether it is GPL related or RMerlin realted, hoepfully it can be resolve easily.

Using those two ^ methods @RMerlin as opposed to all the other exterior test sites that I used previously, FWIW:
From my router (via SSH), I can successfully retrieve all of the correct IPv4 and IPv6 DDNS records (ASUS & No-IP) for the router itself, by using nslookup
Then, using dig (via terminal) from any MAC device on my LAN (not from on the router itself via ssh, like with nslookup), I can again, successfully retrieve all of the correct IPv4 and IPv6 DDNS records (ASUS & No-IP) for the router itself. I can't use dig on my router as I haven't installed it - yet.
Via nslookup, The DDNS Name is followed by IPv6 - Address 1 and IPv4 - address 2 for each of the DDNS names, but, all records (correctly) are prefaced with:
Code:
Server:    127.0.0.1
Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
Via dig, IPv6 and IPv4 addresses I call up separately (A / AAAA) with or without +dnssec and/or +multi additions and full records are returned for all, each & every time.
There is no IPv6 address for DDNS asus server.
[C:\~]$ nslookup www.asus.com
Non-authoritative answer:
Server: GT-AX6000
Address: 2600:40xxxxxxxxxxxx::1

Name: cs95619.adn.psicdn.net
Address: 72.21.92.171
Aliases: www.asus.com

[C:\~]$ nslookup asus.com
Server: GT-AX6000
Address: 2600:40xxxxxxxxxxxx::1

Name: asus.com
Address: 103.10.4.227

I have always run with my aimesh node in the dhcp manually assigned list so that it gets the same IP all the time. It is hard-wired ethernet backhaul though.

It doesn't show up in the network client list.

I have always run with my aimesh node in the dhcp manually assigned list so that it gets the same IP all the time. It is hard-wired ethernet backhaul though.

You are right! Tested same here, also wired backhaul.

Just as some other people Ive got issue with static arp entry that gets lost/disappears from arp table after a while... happens on latest release.

Bash:
# arp entry
arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.100 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Any one already knows how to fix this issue?

Static arp gets removed/lost sometimes after a minute or two... Sometimes it stays in arp for some longer time. I tried to check github changes since 388.2_alpha1 because there it doesnt seems to happen...

I used it for waking op from wan / wol...

Last edited:

Well, in my case, it only appeared when the router treated them as end-clients, which has started during this course, as already mentioed.

In regular situation, such as now, it shows regularlly as AiMesh nodes.
As you can see, one is Wireless backhaul, and the other gets eth backhaul.

For a weird reason, and not related with this beta/thread- they show not in order- but that's long time thing, maybe the router prioritize Wired backhaul first or something, beacuse in the APP its actually looks in the correct order- Ax88u first (wireless backhaul) , and AX56U second (wired backhaul).

Anyway, I hope it'd resolve soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407_003229_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230407_003229_Chrome.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 90
It may be that whether IPV6 Asus DDNS works as intended is related to how IPv6 is configured and/or the router model.
Indeed. There are quite a lot of config variables (not only the IPv6 DDNS), just on one router model, within one firmware release.
I've posted in this thread, because (in my case) the thread related Merlin 388.2_beta2 firmware release, doesn't produce any IPv6 DDNS issues for me (with my setup)
For instance on my RT-AX88U, I am using Native IPv6, DHCP-PD, Stateless and Cloudflare DNS servers.
We do have different ISP's and different router models, but ignoring those two factors for a moment;
FWIW I also use Native IPv6 (PPP Interface), DHCP-PD, Stateless and Cloudfare DNS servers (I have 2 x IPv6 & 2 x IPv4 entries within the DNS-over-TLS server list)
It might be, that the DNS config I use (pics below) is different than your own, so that's why, I don't need any additional scripts for IPv6 DDNS, as you do?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 2.png
    2.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.png
    3.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 4.png
    4.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 72
There is no IPv6 address for DDNS asus server.
I have no idea of course, what the rational is, over at Asus with all of their IPv6 and/or DNS policies. At present, it's seemingly a bit of a smoke & mirrors job...
Using slightly different (IPv6 only) query configs than your own, does provide the Canonical Name, which is what might be expected (see samples below)
Having said that, I'm not clear (yet...) why IPv6 returns from those specific urls are required anyway, if, the intended query, is: DDNS Name at asuscomm.com?

Code:
nslookup -query=AAAA www.asus.com
Server:       *.* ::1
Address:    *.* ::1#53
www.asus.com    canonical name = cs95619.adn.psicdn.net.
Code:
dig AAAA www.asus.com
; <<>> DiG 9.18.13 <<>> AAAA www.asus.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 33458
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.asus.com.            IN    AAAA
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.asus.com.        86400    IN    CNAME    cs95619.adn.psicdn.net.
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
adn.psicdn.net.        600    IN    SOA    ns1.psicdn.net. noc.edgecast.com. 1677092936 3600 600 604800 600
;; Query time: 197 msec
;; SERVER: *.* ::1) (UDP)
~

Moving on, when using this current firmware release; Merlin 388.2_beta2, the DDNS functionality for both IPv4 and IPv6, works well for me / my router / my setup etc and any type of associated IPv6 query that I run, on either of my own DDNS IPv6 Names (one of which is ****.asuscomm.com) always returns the correct, expected values (See Post #452). It's perhaps worth looking at Posts #466 and #479 too, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.