What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Working" QoS (with fc on), and getting those speeds, is noteworthy. The AX86U (not pro) can't do it, and Asus doesn't seem to care.

So, for giggles, I tried enabling Adaptive QoS again, figuring "Why not?"

I've, in the recent past, gone to 500/500 FTTH, but haven't bothered with QoS, due to earlier issues I noted above (and a dwindling use case at 500/500 speeds).
The results on 388.2_2 seem promising, but I'm going to wait a day (and reboot) to confirm more. I also need to confirm that Asus didn't pull a trick and disable things to mask a bug.

From router, before is below:
1684493413625.png

From an AX wifi client:
BB Pre: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=67d72e64-dff4-4413-9891-58acbb8448c4
BB Post: https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=fd2c7508-0d74-4280-9236-d9d01cb6a600

EDIT 2: The only observation I have just now is with my router (388.2 Release) and noticed the memory usage was at 95% - never seen it that high before on any release. Uptime was ~35days... so gave it a bounce and back to 48%. Strange...
So, since the reboot I've seen a steady 2% increase each day in memory usage on my router. Was 48% on May 7th following the reboot and is 73% today. Anyone else noticing that trend with their GT-AX6000? Saw this on 382.2 as well.

No trouble on my router with latest firmware (388.2_2)
1684519455770.png

Did you try to change the language ?
I am French but always used Web UI in English, just "in case"

Newer model Asus routers don't use JFFS. So you can't format them.

So, since the reboot I've seen a steady 2% increase each day in memory usage on my router. Was 48% on May 7th following the reboot and is 73% today. Anyone else noticing that trend with their GT-AX6000? Saw this on 382.2 as well.
My router has been at this level of memory usage for 12 days now. It wanders down and up by 4mb or so, but no more than that, and it does go both up and down.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 172300.jpg

Last edited:
My router has been at this level of memory usage for 12 days now it wanders down and up by 4mb or so, but no more than that, and it does go both and and down.

View attachment 50235
Yeah, my old RT-AX86U when it was my router was like that.

I have a feeling this is a GT-AX6000 thing... it will end up back at 98% for sure in time. I have not seen it tip over.

Yeah, my old RT-AX86U when it was my router was like that.

I have a feeling this is a GT-AX6000 thing... it will end up back at 98% for sure in time. I have not seen it tip over.
If I see anything dramatic in the coming days and weeks I'll post it again. I'm wondering if it's because I have a very simple network. Just ethernet and wireless devices, no nodes or Aimesh etc... I don't use any scripts anymore, no NAS devices, not even a USB stick.

My usage on 388.2_0 is much better than on 388.1. On the latter, usage was up over 100MB in 22 days after flashing. On 388.2_0, it's up only 30MB in 28 days since the last reboot. I have no reason to update to the most recent release so I'm planning to stay where I am.

If I see anything dramatic in the coming days and weeks I'll post it again. I'm wondering if it's because I have a very simple network. Just ethernet and wireless devices, no nodes or Aimesh etc... I don't use any scripts anymore, no NAS devices, not even a USB stick.
I have a similar setup on the router - no AiMesh or scripts or add-ons at the Router but do enable DNS Director and VPN Director, got three APs connected via hard wire, DNS is pushed to my Pi-holes running on discrete RPi's. 100+ clients and pushing 3TB of data/month... which was all present when I had the RT-AX86U as my main router. I may need to do a total re-configure on my GT-AX6000 is something has gotten "stuck". Will need to find a window for that... we do have a long weekend coming up... LOL.

fwiw, release notes on the latest stockware from asus (v. 3.0.0.4.388.23285) purports to have fixed a memory leak problem. for those who had reported some arp problems, that's been tweaked as well.

I have a similar setup on the router - no AiMesh or scripts or add-ons at the Router but do enable DNS Director and VPN Director, got three APs connected via hard wire, DNS is pushed to my Pi-holes running on discrete RPi's. 100+ clients and pushing 3TB of data/month... which was all present when I had the RT-AX86U as my main router. I may need to do a total re-configure on my GT-AX6000 is something has gotten "stuck". Will need to find a window for that... we do have a long weekend coming up... LOL.
My issues have been all over the map with reboots and all sorts of wierdness since moving to the 388 family. Even though many told me it wasn't needed I often cleared the caches (to avoid a reboot) when on the 386 releases, and rarely had stability issues as a result. Recently I started the practice again, basically "echo X > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" where X = 1, 2, or 3

1. Clear PageCache only
2. Clear dentries and inodes
3. Clear pagecache, dentries, and inodes

Then I put it in a script and have it scheduled to run every morning on the same schdule as when the LED's on the router come on. Dropped my RAM utilization from the 98% to the 51% (fresh after a reboot, 48%) the first time I ran it. But running it every morning before the routers get real busy, RAM never gets over 70%

Without it my RAM was up into the 90's and utilizing swap (with all sorts of firewall, addons, performance, crashes) with it, so far so good - been pretty quiet
Your results may or may not be the same...

11 days, all good
Ax88U*2-> AX56U

Ax56U 12 days a row.

Long time not had this stabillity

I'm looking to upgrade from 386.4 on my RT-AX86U, and although my particular setup shouldn't have any issues, curious if someone can still confirm stability of a simple setup of Skynet and one device tunneled through VPN Director on 388.2? Or is 386.7_2 (or any other version) preferred?

We work from home and don't want to have issues during the work week, plus don't have time like I used to to tinker with the router ;). Thanks in advance.

Safely remove the USB drive, do not insert into the router again before you format it to NTFS and complete the steps below.

Flash 388.2_2 final.

Reset to factory defaults.

Minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

Do not import a saved backup config file.

Insert the USB drive, with amtm, format it to Ext 4, with journaling, create a swap of art least 2GB and proceed to install the scripts you want to use.

And yes, RMerlin firmware 388.2_2 is extremely stable.

Don't leave your router so out of date again, if you value your network security.

And yes, RMerlin firmware 388.2_2 is extremely stable.

Don't leave your router so out of date again, if you value your network security.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm familiar with the process, and quite enjoy it in a stressful, anxiety inducing kind of way if you know what I mean.

I regularly check here for new release announcements but was hesitant based on the feedback for the past several versions. I love keeping things as up-to-date as the next guy but just didn't see an overwhelmingly positive consensus, except for 386.7_2 and more recently this latest 382.2_2.

Again my setup is fairly (probably very) simple, and it seems those with issues are often brining it about themselves.

EDIT: Upgrade went smooth. All looking good! Thanks @RMerlin and everyone :)

Last edited:
fwiw, release notes on the latest stockware from asus (v. 3.0.0.4.388.23285) purports to have fixed a memory leak problem. for those who had reported some arp problems, that's been tweaked as well.
I am temporary on this firmware, because my GT-AX6000 with 388.2_2 was not stable. I hope that the new Merlin build is based on this one.

I don't see anything in there about memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!