What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlexQoS is an addon script and not part of Merlin's firmware. You should ask your question in the addons forum.
Merlin "broke" the WAN interface detection code in the firmware in this release (probably just for PPPoE users), while trying to fix a different issue. FlexQoS just relies on the same ajax call as the Merlin Classification page, so this isn't specific to FlexQoS.

Discussed in this thread originally before the 388.2 release:

And see Post #496 in this thread.

Merlin "broke" the WAN interface detection code in the firmware in this release (probably just for PPPoE users), while trying to fix a different issue. FlexQoS just relies on the same ajax call as the Merlin Classification page, so this isn't specific to FlexQoS.

Discussed in this thread originally before the 388.2 release:

And see Post #496 in this thread.
ok thanks for the info guessing that will be fix in the next release.

Best approach is not use the router usb for a NAS.
Casa Griswald has experienced zero issues with the latest RMerlin FWs.
oops, don't recall saying that i had a problem. for the record - i don't. just wondered if the high ram usage was related to the reported mem leak. that's it.

i've been using usb/nas for well over a decade now with 5+ years on the asus brands. Zero issues, k! everyone's entitled to their beliefs but while the ax86u may have some quirks it works and well enough for my needs. i stream video concurrently to multiple clients with no hiccups. i luv it and i'm not changing a thing.

so yes, i do use a nas in the usb port with my ax86u but most ops are reads. as a goof, i uploaded a 1 gb file and usage shot up to 97%. since it was only a test, i deleted said file and usage immediately went down to 58%. don't want to get carried away with a side thread here, but once the write op completes, i'd expect ram usage to revert. i'm no expert, but sumpin's weird.
This is normal. Any disks blocks that are read or written will be buffered in RAM to speed up subsequent access to them. The only time this RAM is freed up is if another process needs it or the underlying file is deleted. You can demonstrate this quite easily. Reboot the router to free up as much RAM as possible. Then copy a file from the USB drive to your PC that's more than 419MB in size. Your RAM usage will go up to ~97% and stay there. This is a good thing.

Last edited:
This is normal. Any disks blocks that are read or written will be buffered on RAM to speed up subsequent access to them. The only time this RAM is freed up is if another process needs it or the underlying file is deleted. You can demonstrate this quite easily. Reboot the router to free up as much RAM as possible. Then copy a file from the USB drive to your PC that's more than 419MB in size. Your RAM usage will go up to ~97% and stay there. This is a good thing.

The leak was fixed with the latest firmware. So to try and say there was never a problem to begin with is false. My ram now stays the same after configuration unlike 22525 that crept up every day till failure. I understand what your saying about wasted ram is bad ram but there was a problem with 22525. I doubt Asus would add Fixed memory leak to there change log for know reason.

The leak was fixed with the latest firmware. So to try and say there was never a problem to begin with is false. My ram now stays the same after configuration unlike 22525 that crept up every day till failure. I understand what your saying about wasted ram is bad ram but there was a problem with 22525. I doubt Asus would add Fixed memory leak to there change log for know reason.
I'm not saying anything at all about a problem with memory leaks. I know nothing about that. I was only replying to @128bit's post regarding his observed memory usage when using his USB drive.

Hi
The new firmware flashed to my new AX86U Pro
I had some minor difficuties but now is working fine
thks Merlin

Last edited:
‪Seems like transmission (amtm) doesn’t work with this update. ‬anyone else experienced that? Thx

Are you sure it is the firmware or the recent updates in Entware?

Hi,
today I got this message 100 times :

"miniupnpd[2837]: private/reserved address 192.168.0.20 is not suitable for external IP"

I would like to get rid of this annoying message

pls comment

Last edited:
Hi,

"miniupnpd[2837]: private/reserved address 192.168.0.20 is not suitable for external IP"

pls comment
You may be able to by disabling UPNP? If you don't need it?

Hi,

pls comment
Just a hunch. These messages can be caused by mindlna/readyshare. Are you using the built in media server? Disable it a while, see if the messages disappear.

Hello,
I have the following problem:
I have 20 reserved IPs in the network.
Is there any possibility to save these reservations and restore them after a router reset?
I mean, I don't want to save all router settings.
My router is Asus RT-AX86U, Merlin 388.2

Thanks in advance,

Hello,
Is there any possibility to save these reservations and restore them after a router reset?

Thanks in advance,
Yes. Use the Better Search function to find information about backing up and restoring the dhcp_staticlist.

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
You should be able to scp these files from your '/jffs/nvram' directory to save them, then restore them later: custom_clientlist, dhcp_staticlist. It may be possible to do a full configuration save, and somehow extract those two files from that, but I haven't tried, so I cannot say for sure.

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
In addition to the already suggested backing up the dhcp_staticlist, there is YazDHCP addon script which people use to restore reserved IP addresses after resetting their router. Prior to router reset, export the reservations. Post router reset one simply reinstalls YazDHCP then imports the saved (previously exported) file containing the IP reservations.

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Backup your jffs partition. After resetting, use SCP to copy "custom_clientlist" and "dhcp_staticlist" back to /jffs/nvram from the backup_jffs.tar file. Then reboot.

Another way is to add these reservations to jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
Here's some useful info on that method https://htyp.org/dnsmasq.conf_sample

Last edited:
I just upgraded from an AC87U running ancient Merlin to an AX86U Pro. Although I do see inbound connections logged in the system log, I'm not seeing outbound connections. Am I missing something? Have I forgotten something I configured on the AC87U that enabled that? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!