What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded from an AC87U running ancient Merlin to an AX86U Pro. Although I do see inbound connections logged in the system log, I'm not seeing outbound connections. Am I missing something? Have I forgotten something I configured on the AC87U that enabled that? Thanks.
The logging of connections is set in Firewall - General > Logged packets type. I suggest you set this to None as there's really no point in filling up the log for no reason.

The logging of connections is set in Firewall - General > Logged packets type. I suggest you set this to None as there's really no point in filling up the log for no reason.
Thanks. This seems to only effect inbound connection requests. I have it set to Both to see both those accepted and those rejected. Does not show outbound connection requests, which I saw on my old router.

I do have a reason for wanting to log this information, it allows me to track who might be trying to break into my network, and if I have any misbehaving IoT devices or apps internally. I send the syslog entries to WallWatcher to allow me to slice and dice them.

Thanks. This seems to only effect inbound connection requests. I have it set to Both to see both those accepted and those rejected. Does not show outbound connection requests, which I saw on my old router.

I do have a reason for wanting to log this information, it allows me to track who might be trying to break into my network, and if I have any misbehaving IoT devices or apps internally. I send the syslog entries to WallWatcher to allow me to slice and dice them.
If you had the Skynet addon installed on your old router that might have shown outbound connections.

I have not seen either of those. Just the memory creep up, which looks to be a known issue that was fixed by Asus in a later build. So that will eventually make it's way to the Merlin builds.
Well, update on the memory creep up... since the reboot, been a steady 2% increase every day.

Now at 96%.

The only item that's been taking on the memory is "nt_center". I've been checking top every so often to see what's bene using the memory, that's the only item that's changing with the matching creep.

1685574141829.png

I'll let this play out and see what happens. Heh.

I've been checking top every so often to see what's bene using the memory, that's the only item that's changing with the matching creep.
There’s a little known feature in watchdog that will log some top output every so often to syslog (top -b -n 1 | head).
Code:
nvram set top_period=60
Revert with:
Code:
nvram unset top_period
Adjust the interval to meet your needs.

Look at you guys flexing on me. LOL!

Look at you guys flexing on me. LOL!
Just so you know you are not alone, mine was also hovering around 97% RAM used after 7 days uptime, now dropped to mid-60s% utilization after a reboot. No obvious problems though at this point (even at 97% used), and I'm not one to worry about Linux/Unix based systems managing RAM in general. Asus has apparently addressed this in newer official releases, but they haven't sent any newer GPLs to RMerlin (that we know of).

Just so you know you are not alone, mine was also hovering around 97% RAM used after 7 days uptime, now dropped to mid-60s% utilization after a reboot. No obvious problems though at this point (even at 97% used), and I'm not one to worry about Linux/Unix based systems managing RAM in general. Asus has apparently addressed this in newer official releases, but they haven't sent any newer GPLs to RMerlin (that we know of).
Yeah, mine has "peaked" at 97% as well. If I do something intense on the router, it will free up some to run the activity and then I see a small drop as expected when the activity is done. But it will creep back up to 97. Everything's fine overall as well. UI etc.. accessible and all devices on the network happy.

i get issues when it’s that high so I look to see what’s going on. The web gui is very sluggish, video starts to go out of focus and resharpen, Alexa has to think about it. I haven’t been able to get long term stability Especially with dnsmasq and skynet hanging and crashing.

I suspect AMTM entware packages are not stable so this weekend wipe and manual config with SSD reformat as well. i have not seen any recommendations on under which circumstances an entware wipe is recommended.

Almost 25 days a row, the most stable network Ive had in months now.

As usual, thank you Eric, keep the good work going.
For now, almost a month of quiteness and no internal crashes, that is the most important thing for me.
Hope I do not need to rock the boat again anytime soon

Screenshot_20230602_160812_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230602_135401_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Hope I do not need to rattle the boat again anytime soon
Add your router/network gear info/build details/versions in your sig to help with any future triage...

Add your router/network gear info/build details/versions in your sig to help with any future triage...

Done and done, thanks for the reminder for something I thought should be done while ago

At all with "problems" with memory usage...
There is no problem, the Linux kernel is often using the spare space for the cache:

1685786701544.png

So I found the release version, GT-AX11000_388.2_2_ubi, but there's no SHA256 checksum for that model. Was that an oversight? (I mean the checksum isn't on the downloads page. There is a checksum inside the zip file itself.) I guess if some bad actor were able to replace the zip file, he'd also be able to change the checksum on the download page as well.

I did a dirty upgrade from 386.7_2 and so far all seems well. But I did want to also upgrade my RT-AC5300 running 386.7_2. Should I switch that back to stock now?

Last edited:
v388.1 --> v388.2_2

For now this version is very stable (no issue found or error in syslog). Compared to the version previously installed, it only increased RAM consumption by 1%.

1685803726441.png
1685803757785.png

The "View List", seems to have been fixed in showing connected devices, in the previous version, those devices that had already been disconnected were still shown.

1685803967976.png

I noticed that in the new version when running the command #arp -a, now it shows all "range pool" defined in DHCP, instead of showing only connected devices.

So to filter the entries in the table, I filter like this:

Code:
arp -a | grep -i ether

Thanks.

Yeah, mine has "peaked" at 97% as well. If I do something intense on the router, it will free up some to run the activity and then I see a small drop as expected when the activity is done. But it will creep back up to 97. Everything's fine overall as well. UI etc.. accessible and all devices on the network happy.
Your in good company with my GT-AX6000....
1685820171190.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!