What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point considering turning one of the laptops into a syslog server to have plenty of capacity and detail for the router and nodes…
If you have scribe/logrotate why are you having trouble with capacity for logs?

Also, you may find it convenient for testing to create a filter to have a single unified log in addition to separate logs, so as to capture things in sequence. Just a file destination log statement, no filter and no final() flag, name it 00all so it is the first config to run.

Dirty upgrade from 388.1 on main router followed by the pending asus update on mesh nodes, and a system reboot to complete the process and it has been a very smooth upgrade. Post upgrade it has been very stabe, not problems to report. Thanks Merlin

1681738211775.png

Having a WAN speed issue. Went from 950Mbps to 80Mbps. Reverting back to Beta did not help.
Did you try power cycling modem?

Having a WAN speed issue. Went from 950Mbps to 80Mbps. Reverting back to Beta did not help.

Reset your router and start over. During my experiments I encountered some weird 2.5GbE port lock condition on RT-AX86U non-recoverable by reboot. Similar to your symptoms from 500Mbps to 50-80Mbps and still reporting Gigabit connection. It happens on stock Asuswrt 388_22525 as well and reported to Asus so they can look at it. The same settings change sequence in 386_49599 doesn't cause this issue. It's some weird bug in 388 base.

Would be nice to mention your router model so we don't have to search in your older posts. Some bugs are model specific.

Reset your router and start over. During my experiments I encountered some weird 2.5GbE port lock condition on RT-AX86U non-recoverable by reboot. Similar to your symptoms from 500Mbps to 50-80Mbps and still reporting Gigabit connection. It happens on stock Asuswrt 388_22525 as well and reported to Asus so they can look at it. The same settings change sequence in 386_49599 doesn't cause this issue. It's some weird bug in 388 base.
Full Reset and still stuck on slow speeds.
Would be nice to mention your router model so we don't have to search in your older posts. Some bugs are model specific.
RT-AX86U Pro

Done the dirty from Beta 2 about an hour ago. Have done a full system restart and will let it settle.

Initial upgrade was fine. No issues observed so far.
- DDNS good
- DNS Director good
- VPN Director good
- IPTV good
- Nest gear and HD cams good
- IOT/TP-Link Devices good
- Internet speed as expected

View attachment 49272

Let's GO!

Cheers again @RMerlin and team!

Hey, what's up? how do you get this speed in the build in speed test? I have AX88U whit the latest Merlin my connection is 980 down 100 up and when I run speed test on the router im getting 370 down 100 up at max.

Hey, what's up? how do you get this speed in the build in speed test? I have AX88U whit the latest Merlin my connection is 980 down 100 up and when I run speed test on the router im getting 370 down 100 up at max.
Could be an ISP related issue - check your modem etc... I've never had issues getting the allocated speed from my ISP with any Merlin build as far as I can remember. But I run it stock without any scripts, swap or other items and run the modem in Bridge mode.

RT-AX86U Pro

Kind of a wacky idea, but are you sure that your 5GHz. radio is enabled and working?

4 days in a row, nothing special to report.
Boring, usual and working.
Speeda as usual, nothing to exciting to mention... boring in other words.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230417_235549_ASUS Router.jpg
    Screenshot_20230417_235549_ASUS Router.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 69
I have an Asus TR AX-86S
I updated to version 388.1.
I did a factory reset.. Worked fine, just RAM usage was always 92-95%
I have now upgraded to versions 388.2.
RAM usage reduced to 89-91%
Unfortunately, in new versions, the v values stopped being displayed
Traffic Analyzer - Statistika

1681765949478.png

Unfortunately, in new versions, the v values stopped being displayed
Traffic Analyzer - Statistika

View attachment 49404
Looks like this is a bug that is currently present in Merlin and official ASUS firmware.
Based of a newer GPL releases information from ASUS /388.23012/ for some models this should be fixed in the next one… with some other security and bug fixes:

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:

-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.

-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.

-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.

-Fixed the AiCloud login issue after unplugging and plugging the HDD into the USB port.

-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn't record data.

-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.

-Fine-tuned the description for port status.

-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.

-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.

-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.

-Modified the USB application option text in dual WAN.

-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.

-Fixed memory leak issue.

-Enabled the failback function when using the iOS/Android USB backup WAN.

Security updates:

-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let's Encrypt.

-Enhanced protection for credentials.

-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.

-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao's contribution.

-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.

-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.

-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.

-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group - cse hkust contribution.

It figures that with the logs (router and nodes) at their most verbose settings and written to the external syslog server, that nothing failed.

That’s sort of good news as the only changes were removing scribe and turning off Spanning Tree. Well, also turned off Skynet logging to make easier to find the problem if it occurs. Though CPU (cores) average utilization did increase ever so slightly from the increased verbosity of the log.

Everything I did that triggered the topology changes that caused the Speedtest results to come back at half what they normally are did not happen and no packet losses either and the router GUI response remained crisp.

Still can’t get IPv6 right even with ASUS DDNS getting a IPv6 address and the devices as well, the log shows no devices as well every IPv6 testing site I could find say I don’t have IPv6. That’ll be another thread.

Speedtest running at 12/42 every hour have been in the 900’s all day yesterday and overnight as I was fiddling with trying to trigger the conditions that cause the problems, as they normally are.

Going to leave Spanning Tree off today as well but will turn on Skynet logging to eliminate one change I made.

Tonight I’ll turn Spanning Tree back on (which will likely cause a reboot like when I turned it off) and run through the triggers that caused my issue to see if it repeats. Even double checked all the wiring just to make sure there were no loops, that no one plugged anything into to something they shouldn’t have.

If it does, with the way logging is setup now, with everything going to one place. I should capture what causes the topology changes that trigger the packet losses, unresponsive router GUI, oddball Speedtest results that only a reboot will fix and only until it triggers again…

It figures that with the logs (router and nodes) at their most verbose settings and written to the external syslog server, that nothing failed.

That’s sort of good news as the only changes were removing scribe and turning off Spanning Tree. Well, also turned off Skynet logging to make easier to find the problem if it occurs. Though CPU (cores) average utilization did increase ever so slightly from the increased verbosity of the log.

Everything I did that triggered the topology changes that caused the Speedtest results to come back at half what they normally are did not happen and no packet losses either and the router GUI response remained crisp.

Still can’t get IPv6 right even with ASUS DDNS getting a IPv6 address and the devices as well, the log shows no devices as well every IPv6 testing site I could find say I don’t have IPv6. That’ll be another thread.

Speedtest running at 12/42 every hour have been in the 900’s all day yesterday and overnight as I was fiddling with trying to trigger the conditions that cause the problems, as they normally are.

Going to leave Spanning Tree off today as well but will turn on Skynet logging to eliminate one change I made.

Tonight I’ll turn Spanning Tree back on (which will likely cause a reboot like when I turned it off) and run through the triggers that caused my issue to see if it repeats. Even double checked all the wiring just to make sure there were no loops, that no one plugged anything into to something they shouldn’t have.

If it does, with the way logging is setup now, with everything going to one place. I should capture what causes the topology changes that trigger the packet losses, unresponsive router GUI, oddball Speedtest results that only a reboot will fix and only until it triggers again…
Do you have any Sonos speakers by any chance? I've had lot of issues with topology changes and STP with them.

Dirty upgrade attempt of my AX16000 from 388.1.

After updating GT-AXE16000_388.2_0.zip both the normal and the ROG (got to try something) fail and my router remains on 388.1.

Also I downloaded both from the primary as the secondary download site.

Did anyone have success om the 16000?
my 16000 successfully updated

Do you have any Sonos speakers by any chance? I've had lot of issues with topology changes and STP with them.
No, Alexa Echo's, Nest Indoor Cams and Thermoststats, Samsung Soundbar and TV's and Washing Machine, DirecTV Stream boxes, a couple of Laptop's and a desktop, some smartbulbs and a smattering of Android Tablets, iPad, iPhones, iWatch, Fitbit (watches and scale), WD NAS (802.3ad-bonded) and the wife's Volvo (Android based) when in range. The desktop, WD NAS (2x connections - something else I need to factor in 🤨), TV's and DirecTV Stream boxes are the only wired devices. Not accounting for the AX88u router and AX86 nodes of course.

I've been rock solid with this setup all through the 386 releases. This happened before in the prior 388 releases but to few times and too far apart for me to think it was anything worth mentioning. Only when I was able to make the correlation between the Speedtests, dropped packets and slow to respond GUI, topology change did I start trying to dig in deeper.

Got another odd one but I don't have the tools or visibility for checking WiFi. I'm stable with the 160Mhz when I set it at the router and within the mobile app toggle DFS, should I get interference the Router/Nodes do what they're suppossed to do and then switch back. If not going into the mobile app to togle DFS to on, I've noticed that my radio does change channels and bandwidth and stays at the new channel and 80Mhz more frequently requiring manual intervention to switch it back. Setting 160Mhz on the router does not toggle DFS on in the mobile app. But I haven't done enough observation or captured enough metrics to build a correlation. It's just something I've noticed since installing inSSIDer, real or not I haven't had the time to dig into it to really validate my casual observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.