What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had similar dnsmasq fatal errors with 388.2. With that release, dnsmasq is version 2.89. With the 388.1 release, it was 2.85.

I am now running 388.2 with the dnsmasq from 388.1. No more fatal errors.

If you still have 388.1 running, you can copy dnsmasq version 2.85 from that release (from /usr/sbin) to a usb stick, install 388.2 then copy the dnsmasq 2.85 binary to either /jffs or /opt (if Entware is installed). Then do what’s called a mount bind.
For example, I copied dnsmasq (v2.85) to /opt/tmp/sbin.
Then I ran this mount command:

mount -o bind,rw /opt/tmp/sbin/dnsmasq /usr/sbin/dnsmasq

Restert dnsmasq:

service restart_dnsmasq

Keep in mind, on a reboot, you will be back to dnsmasq 2.89 (unless you redo the mount and restart).

This is all temporary until the dnsmasq folks track down this issue.

In my case I was getting 2-3 dnsmasq Fatal 6 errors/day. Reverting to 2.85 a few days ago - none.
@saison2023 and I have been running some tests as we have the same hardware and plugins installed.

I too found that with dnsmasq logging disabled in Diversion fixes 'the problem'.
Your solution of using the old dnsmasq is a good find, thank you!
I do wonder if it's a bug in dnsmasq or that it could be fixed by Jack Yaz (sorry Jack, my bad and apologies for tagging you) @thelonelycoder in Diversion?

Last edited:
@saison2023 and I have been running some tests as we have the same hardware and plugins installed.

I too found that with dnsmasq logging disabled in Diversion fixes 'the problem'.
Your solution of using the old dnsmasq is a good find, thank you!
I do wonder if it's a bug in dnsmasq or that it could be fixed by @Jack Yaz in Diversion?
Would be great to have the confirmation from @Jack Yaz if this trouble could be fixed in Diversion?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Why @JackYaz?? Did you mean to say @thelonelycoder , the actual author of Diversion?

I had similar dnsmasq fatal errors with 388.2. With that release, dnsmasq is version 2.89. With the 388.1 release, it was 2.85.

I am now running 388.2 with the dnsmasq from 388.1. No more fatal errors.
Thanks for the confirmation of the changes and for your temporary solution.
I understand that he does not own the code, but the replies from @RMerlin to my posts tended to imply that the problem came from elsewhere.
Even if the trouble is linked to Diversion (no fault from RMerlin), there is clear link between new dnsmasq version and scripts/tools available at the moment.
Let's hope that someone with better knowledge than me would be able to fix Diversion, I really like this firmware and all the features available.
Thanks everyone

If dnsmasq is crashing, then the bug is inside dnsmasq and needs to be fixed by its author. There is nothing for @thelonelycoder to fix there, the best he could do is implement a workaround (if even possible).

If dnsmasq is crashing, then the bug is inside dnsmasq and needs to be fixed by its author. There is nothing for @thelonelycoder to fix there, the best he could do is implement a workaround (if even possible).
Sorry I am not a coder : how could it be possible to let dnsmasq's author be aware of the trouble?
I think people like you or @thelonelycoder should do so, because he (dnsmasq's author) would like to have clear explanations about the trouble, and it will be better "to speak the same language" (as a coder or at least, as someone with better understanding of what is happening).

Sorry I am not a coder : how could it be possible to let dnsmasq's author be aware of the trouble?
Dnsmasq has a public mailing list.

I think people like you or @thelonelycoder should do so
That won`t be me. First reason being I have no actual useful information to provide him. "Diversion causes dnsmasq to crash". That will give him zero information as to what is going on.

Someone would have to track down the exact cause of the crash first, to provide Simon with a test case. That`s not something I am willing to spend time on myself, sorry.

RT-AX58U Upgraded current firmware 388.1 to 388.2
I use a script to create permanent entries to the ARP table.
The script is executed when the router is turned on or rebooted
but it turned out that the following morning the ARP table had already been cleared of permanent records.
Rebooting the router restored the table, permanent records appeared
but the next morning the ARP table was cleared again.
How to prevent this?

How to prevent this?
Have to wait for Asus to fix that. The networkmap service flushes ARP entries, including permanent ones. Networkmap is closed source, so outside of my control.

From RMerlin:
How to prevent this?
Have to wait for Asus to fix that. The networkmap service flushes ARP entries, including permanent ones. Networkmap is closed source, so outside of my control.

@Ole it sounds like you just need to take your existing script and add it to scheduled tasks (aka crontab) via the 'cru' command. There might be a GUI interface for that, too, but I'm so CLI-oriented I never looked for it. Maybe set it to run daily at some convenient, low use hour. I found 4am usually a good time. Alternatively, since it runs at boot time, maybe schedule a daily reboot through the GUI if that's more convenient.

Reactions: Ole
I think people like you or @thelonelycoder should do so, because he (dnsmasq's author) would like to have clear explanations about the trouble, and it will be better "to speak the same language" (as a coder or at least, as someone with better understanding of what is happening).
I heard you all, stop whining, y‘all barking up the wrong tree. Ask Simon Kelley - the one guy that can fix this bug in Dnsmasq.

Yes you are right, my mistake
I was referring to uiDivStats from this page (Asuswrt-Merlin-addon-software-catalog - uiDivStats - (AMTM) - Source / Github - Dev: @Jack Yaz)
But as you said, since Diversion is causing the trouble, dnsmasq logging should be fixed by @thelonelycoder, the actual author of Diversion
You seems to touch what seems to be causing your troubles. Aside from contacting dnsmasq author I'd suggest that you let @Jack Yaz know why uiDivsttus might be causing the crash, have you?

how could it be possible to let dnsmasq's author be aware of the trouble?
See the authors page here: https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html
Contact.
There is a dnsmasq mailing list at http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/dnsmasq-discuss which should be the first location for queries, bugreports, suggestions etc. The list is mirrored, with a search facility, at https://www.mail-archive.com/dnsmasq-discuss@lists.thekelleys.org.uk/. You can contact me at simon@thekelleys.org.uk.
One can see a read only version of the mailing list (without subscribing) here:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dnsmasq-discuss@lists.thekelleys.org.uk/

You seems to touch what seems to be causing your troubles. Aside from contacting dnsmasq author I'd suggest that you let @Jack Yaz know why uiDivsttus might be causing the crash, have you?
First thing we did (@Bogey and myself) was to remove uiDivStats.
This did not solved the trouble.

I heard you all, stop whining, y‘all barking up the wrong tree. Ask Simon Kelley - the one guy that can fix this bug in Dnsmasq.
I think we are not "whining", we are here to share info and exchange ideas.
How can we know how to do thing correctly if we do not ask and we do not receive answers and advises.
Sorry to not be knowledge able enough but thanks for the information.

Dnsmasq has a public mailing list.

That won`t be me. First reason being I have no actual useful information to provide him. "Diversion causes dnsmasq to crash". That will give him zero information as to what is going on.

Someone would have to track down the exact cause of the crash first, to provide Simon with a test case. That`s not something I am willing to spend time on myself, sorry.
Thanks for the explanations and the reply

Thanks, I'll ask. Good thing we now know what's, well not exactly causing, but rather where the problem lies: dnsmasq v2.89 and Diversion logging. That's something to go with, right?

Thanks, I'll ask. Good thing we now know what's, well not exactly causing, but rather where the problem lies: dnsmasq v2.89 and Diversion logging. That's something to go with, right?
And other addons you have. Dnsmasq logging is on and working no problem here but that's all I have. So it seems there are other things causing your dnsmasq crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.