What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.3 is now available for the RT-AX88U_Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully not too foolish a question, but I see mention of the vlan functionality not being implemented just yet.

Am I correct in saying this is for setting up your own vlans, and that the lack of this would not prevent you from being able to “tag” vlan 35 which I currently do to bypass the HH3K with my bell internet connection. ( Lan -> IPTV -> LAN Port -> Internet -> VID -> 35

I ask this as I’m considering upgrading from the RT-AC88U and obviously want to make sure I can still bypass the HH3K, plus of course I'd be running Merlin on it :)
WAN side VLAN tagging is working fine. The limitation is if you want to start configuring your own LAN-side VLAN that this isn't supported.

WAN side VLAN tagging is working fine. The limitation is if you want to start configuring your own LAN-side VLAN that this isn't supported.
Thank you very much for the excellent reply :)

I initially wired our PC, that’s near the router, to the 2.5G/1G LAN port (LAN 5) and even though the PC could only connect at 1G everything seemed to work fine. However, I noticed in the router log that whenever we turned the PC on and it connected there would an entry in the log stating “kernel: MACSEC: macsec is not enabled”. Out of curiosity, I wired the PC to LAN port 1 (LAN 1), turned the PC on, and the PC connects at 1G and no MACSEC entry in the log.

I’ve never seen that message before on any other router that I’ve used running ASUS or RMERLIN firmware, so I’m guessing that it must have something to do with this PRO version router and the 2.5G LAN port. Other than what I found on line about MACSEC, I really know nothing about it, how to enable it, whether you enable it on the router or PC, or if it is recommended. I was also wondering if it had anything to do with the new hardware version of the RT-AX88U Pro that I don’t have, but is supported by this firmware version.

Can someone shed some light on this MACSEC log entry for me as it pertains to the RT-AX88U Pro and/or the 2.5G LAN port connection? Thanks!

Last edited:
I caved and picked up an ax88uPro to replace my quite dated ac66b1 today. Tried this version but wifi seemed flakey. Currently downgraded to 388.2.2
I may try another factory reset if issues continue
It could be a small parameter hiding somewhere.
No custom scripts running but I do have Mac address filtering, flexqos and trendMicro running.

I caved and picked up an ax88uPro to replace my quite dated ac66b1 today. Tried this version but wifi seemed flakey. Currently downgraded to 388.2.2
I may try another factory reset if issues continue
It could be a small parameter hiding somewhere.
No custom scripts running but I do have Mac address filtering, flexqos and trendMicro running.
It took a few factory resets to get my 88u Pro to be stable. Now I have five running flawless with 388.2.2

Ah yes, this is a very custom script indeed!

And router bloatware.
It may be bloatware but I find it effective for my purposes. It almost stops all pop-ups for all the nasty sites that I love to frequent. :)

All in all, with my b1 running constantly at 500mbps, I was maxing the cpu for days on end with trend micro and flexqos running @ 78 degrees.
With the 88pro, it runs at 7% with everything enabled at 62 degrees. Quite a difference

Last edited:
It took a few factory resets to get my 88u Pro to be stable. Now I have five running flawless with 388.2.2
It seems stable now on 388.2.2.
However, I'm trying to get my ac66b1 as an aimesh node and it fails loading every time. I tried defaulting the device on 386.7.2 and factory Asus code 3.0.0.4.386.51665. It communicates and loads up until 35% then #$%ts the bed every time. I was under the impression that it would be able to act as a mesh node but perhaps it doesn't have the compatibility or power to pair with the ax88pro.

Plug your cable in any switchport of mainrouter and wanport of node and try again. Maybe you should reset the node again before next try.

I'm not sure if it really helped or not, however stock firmware 388.23110 release notes said that a factory reset was required. I installed this on each of my RT-AX88U Pros, did a reset using the WPS key and power (Method 2), and then installed Merlin 388.3 (with another factory reset afterwards. My routers are running without any problems although I have since moved to 388.4 Alpha 1

Status
Not open for further replies.