What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.3 is now available for the RT-AX88U_Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This auto upgrade note is for stock Asuswrt only. Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't have auto upgrade.

Hi all! Does anyone know (may be @RMerlin himself) how the new hardware revision of RT-AX88U_Pro differs from the previous one? Thank you in advance

Hi all! Does anyone know (may be @RMerlin himself) how the new hardware revision of RT-AX88U_Pro differs from the previous one? Thank you in advance
AX88U
1.8 GHz quad-core CPU (BCM4908)
1x USB 3.0
1x USB 2.0
8x ports Gigabit
1687723351325.png

1687723096029.png

AX88U Pro
2.0 GHz quad-core CPU (BRCM4912)
1 x USB 3.0
2x ports 2.5G
1687723283290.png

1687723306061.png

Attachments

• 1687723388076.png
    1687723388076.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 48
@azagramac, I mean old and new hardware revisions of RT-AX88U_Pro.
At the moment the Pro, which has only one revisions hardware, has only been on the market for a few months.

The comment from RMerlin relates to adding the RT-AX88U PRO officially to the supported HW inventory - as far as I know there is yet only 1 HW revision/version.

The comment from RMerlin relates to adding the RT-AX88U PRO officially to the supported HW inventory - as far as I know there is yet only 1 HW revision/version.
No, 388.3 was specifically to add support for a second hardware revision, which was clearly stated in the changelog, and also as I mentioned in this post.

Does anyone know what the revision number is for this new hardware release? I just bought a new RT-AX88U Pro and if it isn't the latest hardware revision I'd like to send it back before I open the box. Mine is marked Hardware Version 1.0. Thanks!

if it isn't the latest hardware revision I'd like to send it back before I open the box.
Why? Nobody said the newer revision was better. Could very well be the opposite and just be a cost-saving change, for instance.

Just don't worry about it, and use whatever you get.

Thanks, @RMerlin for your reply, you're right, it's always a hit/miss on hardware revisions/upgrades. I just like to go with the latest in case there is an under the radar fix for an issue with the initial design release!

@RMerlin, I decided to give the RT-AX88U Pro a try and followed the firmware update process I’ve always used without issue and updated the router’s firmware from the ASUS original (3.0.0.4.388.21915) to Merlin’s 388.3_0. The update over a wired connection went smoothly, so I once again did a hard reset and began my full setup and reboot.

The only issue I have run into is that under the Wireless 5G Tab, Explicit Beam Forming and Universal Beamforming are missing from that page. I did searches of the Forum to see it they had been removed, but didn’t find anything. Were they removed for the Pro version router or did something go wrong in the update process even though no errors were encountered? I thought I would ask before I go through more troubleshooting, which would be to perform a hard reset and flash 388.2_2 and check for their presence. Thanks for any help!

Were they removed for the Pro version router or did something go wrong in the update process even though no errors were encountered?
Yes it's not available for certain device firmware. Its not available for the 5Ghz on an RT-AX86U Pro running 388.2_2 Asus-Merlin firmware

@bennor, Thank you for your response! I suspect then that the same is true for the AX88 Pro! You've saved me from going through the headache of a new full setup and troubleshooting. I wonder why it was removed?

Take the following post from Reddit about it missing from the AX86U Pro for what it's worth. (Post was from 14 days ago.)
Asus finally replied with the correct answer:

Sorry for the inconvenience it caused. We have confirmed that there is a bug causing the option cannot be showing up normally in 5GHz page. It is expected that it would be fixed in the next version firmware or the version after the next version.
Edit to add: Another discussion indicating that option is missing on a different AX series device:

Last edited:
@bennor, thanks once again. From that post it suggests ASUS has acknowledged it as a bug in the firmware for the Pro model, hmmmmm!

Hopefully not too foolish a question, but I see mention of the vlan functionality not being implemented just yet.

Am I correct in saying this is for setting up your own vlans, and that the lack of this would not prevent you from being able to “tag” vlan 35 which I currently do to bypass the HH3K with my bell internet connection. ( Lan -> IPTV -> LAN Port -> Internet -> VID -> 35

I ask this as I’m considering upgrading from the RT-AC88U and obviously want to make sure I can still bypass the HH3K, plus of course I'd be running Merlin on it :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.