What's new

Authorized Key not saving

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yoggit

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

This used to work, but a week or so ago I rebooted my AC86U a few times and lost a bit of config, including QoS and my Authorized Key.

QoS was recovered manually, but now my Authorized Key will simply not save! The key is good as I

If I SSH in with a password, then manually edit /tmp/home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys, and add in my key, I can see things working OK, but then I go back to the GUI system page and Authorized Key field is empty. I change a couple of parameters, like disabling password logins, paste the key in, hit Apply, and the authorized_keys file is then emptied. It will not save the damn key!! Like I said before, it was working fine for years!

Version 384.6.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

manually edit /tmp/home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

Because you are editing a temporary file. The values are stored in the nvram for persistence and generate that file I assume during service restarts.

Thanks Adamm - I only edited that file because the key won't save via the GUI. Can I add it into NVRAM somehow?

Thanks Adamm - I only edited that file because the key won't save via the GUI. Can I add it into NVRAM somehow?
Adding the authorised key(s) to nvram could be tricky

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/f...lts-releases-v39e3.18914/page-427#post-443848

Might be easier to sort out why it won’t save through the GUI. You’ve done the obvious thing: trying different browsers? And that’s the only GUI setting that’s problematic?

And you don’t have a backup of your settings you could import?

I rebooted my AC86U a few times and lost a bit of config, including QoS and my Authorized Key.” Sounds like you might be better off starting afresh: there may be other corrupted stuff you haven’t yet discovered?

And if you do decide to start afresh, the Guide is here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Last edited:
Thanks Martinr. I haven't gotten around to finding time to look at this, but I'll attack it tonight. Not sure what's happened, but the stability of the router has been complete rubbish since this issue started. It's locking up at least every couple of days now. In terms of the ssh key, after one of the hard reboots I was able to add it in, along with QoS settings, and take a config backup, but after another reboot that config was lost again, and restoring from the backup doesn't seem to want to work. I'll start afresh using the link above.

Thanks again,
Yoggit

Ergh - This has started happening again! And I wonder if it is connected, but I cannot write to my ext2 format USB flash drive, with it saying it is out of space. There is tons of free space and when I plug it into a Raspberry Pi it has no problems... I can see a system reset coming :(

If you have another power adapter it may be worth a try to swap out your current one....strange things like this are often caused by a weak power supply.

Sounds to me like the router's flash may be becoming unstable, esp. if you can save one minute but not the next, and stuff keeps disappearing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!