1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Automatic Rebooting Not Happening

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Neil Horowitz, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Neil Horowitz

Neil Horowitz Occasional Visitor

I have an RT-AC86U router running the 384.11_2 firmware. I have it set to reboot every morning at 4 AM and I am experiencing failures to reboot. I’ve had to remove the reboot settings, save the configuration and then set them again to reboot daily, which eventually stops happening again. I hope that this gets resolved in the upcoming 384.12 firmware.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Vexira likes this.
  2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

What other scripts are you running? Are you using a USB drive that is possibly corrupted or slowly dying?

When was the last full reset to factory defaults performed? If more than two or three firmware versions ago, then another may be what is needed now (or, possibly wait for 384.12 to go final).

The M&M Config link in my signature below and other pertinent links may help you get your router back to a good/known state. :)

Vexira likes this.
  3. Jack Yaz

Jack Yaz Part of the Furniture

Stops working as in doesn't reboot (stays powered on) or is left in a powered off state (an issue reported to affect a minority of 86Us)?

L&LD and Vexira like this.
  4. Neil Horowitz

I haven’t reset the router since purchasing it about nine months ago and installing and updating the Merlin firmware as new versions were released. I have no additional scripts running that I know of. When the router fails to reboot it just continues to operate normally.
    I think that I have answered all posted questions.

5. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I think your router needs an M&M Config asap. :)

Vexira likes this.
  6. Neil Horowitz

Thanks, I’m going to have to find some time & get it done.

L&LD likes this.
  7. Neil Horowitz

I attempted your excellent M&M procedure as best I could, I had to have an active guest network & couldn’t modify ssid’s. I did leave my USB hard drive disconnected as you recommended. In the end, scheduled reboots would fail with loss of Internet connectivity for some reason.
    The final fix though was last night’s release of the new 384.12 firmware by Eric.
    I’m hoping the router continues to behave itself because I will soon be on a road trip accessing my network via OpenVPN.
    Thanks for your help!

L&LD likes this.