What's new

Automatic Rebooting Not Happening

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil Horowitz

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC86U router running the 384.11_2 firmware. I have it set to reboot every morning at 4 AM and I am experiencing failures to reboot. I’ve had to remove the reboot settings, save the configuration and then set them again to reboot daily, which eventually stops happening again. I hope that this gets resolved in the upcoming 384.12 firmware.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

What other scripts are you running? Are you using a USB drive that is possibly corrupted or slowly dying?

When was the last full reset to factory defaults performed? If more than two or three firmware versions ago, then another may be what is needed now (or, possibly wait for 384.12 to go final).

The M&M Config link in my signature below and other pertinent links may help you get your router back to a good/known state. :)

Stops working as in doesn't reboot (stays powered on) or is left in a powered off state (an issue reported to affect a minority of 86Us)?

I haven’t reset the router since purchasing it about nine months ago and installing and updating the Merlin firmware as new versions were released. I have no additional scripts running that I know of. When the router fails to reboot it just continues to operate normally.
I think that I have answered all posted questions.

I haven’t reset the router since purchasing it about nine months ago and installing and updating the Merlin firmware as new versions were released. I have no additional scripts running that I know of. When the router fails to reboot it just continues to operate normally.
I think that I have answered all posted questions.

I think your router needs an M&M Config asap. :)

I think your router needs an M&M Config asap. :)
I attempted your excellent M&M procedure as best I could, I had to have an active guest network & couldn’t modify ssid’s. I did leave my USB hard drive disconnected as you recommended. In the end, scheduled reboots would fail with loss of Internet connectivity for some reason.
The final fix though was last night’s release of the new 384.12 firmware by Eric.
I’m hoping the router continues to behave itself because I will soon be on a road trip accessing my network via OpenVPN.
Thanks for your help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!