What's new

AX11000 heat issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ellenswamy

Regular Contributor
So my router was going very very slow this morning, and I noticed the CPU was at 88C. that is the hottest I have seen, it is on a top shelf about waist high and nothing is over it. Rebooted and it still was that temp, so put a fan next to it and the temp has already dropped 7C. Anyone else see the temps that hot? Wifi chips show they are running at mid 50C.

So my router was going very very slow this morning, and I noticed the CPU was at 88C. that is the hottest I have seen, it is on a top shelf about waist high and nothing is over it. Rebooted and it still was that temp, so put a fan next to it and the temp has already dropped 7C. Anyone else see the temps that hot? Wifi chips show they are running at mid 50C.

It has been suggested here that the CPU will throttle at 100C, so 88C should be tolerable.

Did the slowness abate at 81C?

OE

I saw the slowness at 88C when I checked after reboot. Even SSH into the router took 5 min, I put a desk fan next to it and blowing directly on it and right now the CPU is at 62C. Noticed that as soon as I put the fan on there and the CPU started to cool the network is back to normal. It has always ran about 77-80. 88C is the highest I have seen

I saw the slowness at 88C when I checked after reboot. Even SSH into the router took 5 min, I put a desk fan next to it and blowing directly on it and right now the CPU is at 62C. Noticed that as soon as I put the fan on there and the CPU started to cool the network is back to normal. It has always ran about 77-80. 88C is the highest I have seen

Sounds not right... heat-related slow down at 88C. A high CPU load might warm things up and slow things down, but a fan should not reduce the CPU load and recover speed. So, maybe something is happening to the hardware. Collect more supporting observations in case you decide to run it by ASUS Support before the end of warranty.

I suppose it's possible that the CPU load decreased coincidentally with application of the fan. If you remove the fan, does the issue return?

Any clues in the log?

OE

CPU load was fine when it was running at 88C. The fan just lowered the temp of the CPU. CPU load has been the same before and after. Looks like putting the fan there lowered the temp from 88C to 62/63C

CPUs throttle when they overheat in order to reduce the temperature and permanent damage. My AC68U & AX11000 idle at 56C with room temperature at around 15C. I don't have my AX11000 long enough to see how hot it gets in summer but my AC68U reached 80C+ in summer so I put a fan on it and the CPU temp dropped 20C+. What many people don't realise is that the CPU doesn't exist in a vacuum, the surrounding components and solder joints can fail too if the device is subjected to prolonged high temperature. Many plasma/LCD TVs have died prematurely for the same reason as they rely on passive cooling; great for the manufacturers, bad for your wallet. Heat kills electronics, just the way it is. Knowing many Asus routers have premature failures due to heat, I just put a 14cm computer case fan on top of my AX11000 and be done with it, and the CPU temp does drop 20C+ like the AC68U. But unlike most people, I setup my fans to "pull" the hot air out instead of "push" the cool air in.

Attachments

• ASUS_routers.jpg
    ASUS_routers.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 165
do you have the air blowing
CPUs throttle when they overheat in order to reduce the temperature and permanent damage. My AC68U & AX11000 idle at 56C with room temperature at around 15C. I don't have my AX11000 long enough to see how hot it gets in summer but my AC68U reached 80C+ in summer so I put a fan on it and the CPU temp dropped 20C+. What many people don't realise is that the CPU doesn't exist in a vacuum, the surrounding components and solder joints can fail too if the device is subjected to prolonged high temperature. Many plasma/LCD TVs have died prematurely for the same reason as they rely on passive cooling; great for the manufacturers, bad for your wallet. Heat kills electronics, just the way it is. Knowing many Asus routers have premature failures due to heat, I just put a 14cm computer case fan on top of my AX11000 and be done with it, and the CPU temp does drop 20C+ like the AC68U. But unlike most people, I setup my fans to "pull" the hot air out instead of "push" the cool air in.
do you have the air blowing on the router itself or blowing heat away from it?

The fan is sucking air from the AX11000; that means the cool air is drawing from the router's bottom. The reason is that hot air flows upward naturally, so the fan basically accelerates it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!