What's new

AX86 Giving Slow Speeds (Brand New)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So just for reference. I have an AX86U, running 386 R2 Beta Firmware. I am on Xfinity 1G down, 40M Up service. My iPhone 11 Pro-Max gets about 600M down and 37M up. QoS is off, Ai Protection is On, Smart Connect is OFF

I'm pretty happy with that. Speed Test from router gets 900M Down consistently.

Are you saying your "Internet Speed Test" isn't getting good Wifi speeds?

What do the connection speeds say for your Devices under View List from the AX86U router's main Network Map page?

On the AX86U router I'm using right now it shows I have devices connected at 5Ghz ranging from an estimated 300 to 800+ Mbps. It all depends on the quality of the radios those devices have, the open 5Ghz channels that are available in your area, the bandwidth you are getting on those channels (20, 40, 80, 160Mhz), whether they are N, AC or AX, how many antennas they have, how far the devices are away from the router, the materials in the structure you reside in (concrete walls, wood, plaster, etc..) and the objects that the 5Ghz signal can reflect off of. All of this can effect that signal.

There are so many variables that can effect this and really 300Mbps isn't a bad speed in general. If you are downloading and uploading 4K video content at the same time via Wifi then of course you want a higher maximum throughput. If you want to get maximum Wifi speeds you are going to have to experiment more with the settings. Internet Speed Test isn't the best way to test it either since that can vary from one test to the next and especially over a 1Gbit connection. A better test would be transferring content via the router's Wifi from another device within your local network and if you require stable high Wifi 6 throughput over longer distances you should be using two AX86Us.

Just yea strictly the speedtest.net....
I think internal wise it's saying it's fast.

I'm not really sure how to read this. I get some of it.. but not all of it.

so The Jchoi Note 10... says 6xx mbps... is that what i'm getting? Cause speedtest says otherwise

Attachments

• 1608306771363.png
    1608306771363.png
    481.3 KB · Views: 133
Just yea strictly the speedtest.net....
I think internal wise it's saying it's fast.

I'm not really sure how to read this. I get some of it.. but not all of it.

so The Jchoi Note 10... says 6xx mbps... is that what i'm getting? Cause speedtest says otherwise
Speedtest.net speeds can vary test to test depending on the servers available that the test is connecting to and how many others are using the same Speedtest.net server that you are using when you run the test. You can use to get a rough estimate of your throughput via Wifi compared to using Ethernet but it's till not always the best test to use. This is especially true when you have 1Gbit interenet service.

Most of the servers available on Speedtest.net are probably using 10Gbit internet service which means you are maxing out much of their testing bandwidth if there are a lot of other users accessing them at the same time. Judging the performance of your Wifi router only using these tests is like taking a Formula One race car and driving it on a freeway filled with traffic and complaining that the race car isn't very fast because it isn't running as fast as it is suppose to go.

The Asus Wifi device list you posted can be used to show the quality of your Wifi connections. I believe it is more of an "estimate" of the Wifi speed of your connections to your devices but it doesn't give you much information about sustained Wifi throughput. That is why many users will run their own local network Wifi data through put tests from the router (or a NAS connected to the Ethernet LAN) to devices such as a laptop using 5Ghz AX/Wifi 6.

The easiest thing you can do right now is maybe to experiment with your 5Ghz Wifi settings and channels and find what gives you the best quality of connection using that Asus device connection list as a basic reference. Then run Speedtest.net to see if those devices perform better using those settings. Then later set up local network throughput testing for the most accurate testing information.

I also noticed from that Asus device list you posted that you have at least eighteen devices connected via Wifi to your router. The AX86U can easily handle that number of devices but as I mentioned in a previous post that the more Wifi devices you have connected then your Wifi then the more you are saturating your available bandwidth which can also effect your Wifi test results.

Last edited:
So just for reference. I have an AX86U, running 386 R2 Beta Firmware. I am on Xfinity 1G down, 40M Up service. My iPhone 11 Pro-Max gets about 600M down and 37M up. QoS is off, Ai Protection is On, Smart Connect is OFF

I'm pretty happy with that. Speed Test from router gets 900M Down consistently.
What do you get on iperf to another computer on the network? I'm getting about 200mbps.

What do you get on iperf to another computer on the network? I'm getting about 200mbps.

So I just got around to running Iperf3 from my Iphone 11 Pro Plus(Client) to my Work Laptop-HP Elitebook 830G5 (Server) and I getting 600-700 Mb/s Download and about 300 Mb/S upload.

Question:

With the RT AX86U. I'm thinking of adding some nodes to provide better coverage around my house / outside my house (Garage, Backyard).

What do you recommend that works well with the the router. Something that doesn't look bad... but can be added to our mesh.

Wired or wireless AiMesh nodes? Using AiMesh v2.0 or v1.0?

RT-AX58U is the first model that comes to mind.

Wired or wireless AiMesh nodes? Using AiMesh v2.0 or v1.0?

RT-AX58U is the first model that comes to mind.
I have no idea what you are saying here.

But Wireless.. so I don't have to run a Ethernet Cable to the device.. something I can plug into the wall and make the signal stronger from there.

Better (much, much better) than going out to buy a repeater.

So from what i'm reading, I gotta go out and buy some wireless Routers just to do this mesh... Basically make it act like a repeater.
Here are the products that Asus say are compatible with AiMesh. I have no personal experience using these so YMMV.

Here are the products that Asus say are compatible with AiMesh. I have no personal experience using these so YMMV.

Thanks,

i'm thinking if there would be compatibility issue if I get AC routers to link to my AX

i'm thinking if there would be compatibility issue if I get AC routers to link to my AX
AC devices are backwards compatible with AX devices (bugs notwithstanding) so they should work albeit at the slower AC speeds.

The issue that I see as a distinct possibility, is that an AX router in AiMesh mode pushes wireless settings to the AiMesh nodes. If that node is an AC router (it's not 'just' a client device, really), will it translate/dumb down the AX settings for the node?

I don't want to find this out for many customers (all at once). I match AX routers with AX nodes and AC routers with AC nodes.

The issue that I see as a distinct possibility, is that an AX router in AiMesh mode pushes wireless settings to the AiMesh nodes. If that node is an AC router (it's not 'just' a client device, really), will it translate/dumb down the AX settings for the node?

I don't want to find this out for many customers (all at once). I match AX routers with AX nodes and AC routers with AC nodes.
Hmmm, This is a good question... Damn Now i'm scared to think about that...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!