What's new

AX86U: 160MHz @ channel 100+ possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i0ntempest

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,
I've had my AX86U for almost half a year and I'm happy with it. But due to all my neighbor's wireless are all operating on channel 32-64 and 149+, I have to use channel 100-140. The problem is if I select 160Hz mode, I can only select channel 32-64. My unit is Canada version and have the latest merlin firmware installed. I have tried setting region variables to JP using command line (and init-start script), but that didn't change anything. On my old D-Link DIR-882 running dd-wrt, setting region to JP allowed 100/160 operation.
Anyone have ideas on how to do it on a Asus router?
Thanks in advance.

Certain models of Asus routers sold in Canada don't support 160MHz operation. I can't remember the exact details but there are already threads discussing it. Use the Better Search function to find those threads.

You can't change the region. You're only asking for trouble in DFS channels range. Other networks operating on selected channels doesn't mean there is no available bandwidth for you. What do you prefer - stable Wi-Fi or faster speedtest, sometimes?

You can't change the region. You're only asking for trouble in DFS channels range. Other networks operating on selected channels doesn't mean there is no available bandwidth for you. What do you prefer - stable Wi-Fi or faster speedtest, sometimes?
Well the situation is, my neighbors sometimes complain about unstable WiFi. My WiFi is always stable no matter what channel I use, they have a Bell HH4000 with pods (used as wired APs rather than mesh nodes) forming a whole-home network (with little to no customizability), and one of the pods is within 5m of my router. So I'm thinking I'm probably causing them trouble. I can see they're on 44@80MHz and I just moved my network to channel 100 (from 64@160MHz) too see if their experience will improve, and now I can only select 80MHz.

Last edited:
Certain models of Asus routers sold in Canada don't support 160MHz operation. I can't remember the exact details but there are already threads discussing it. Use the Better Search function to find those threads.
Yea thanks, I read some of the threads mentioning Canada and seems 160MHz on channel 100+ is not allowed here. Well frick.
But I do believe the hardware is there, just disabled by the hardcoded region settings... right?

If you live in dense Wi-Fi area, why pushing for 160MHz wide channel? How many devices on your network support 160MHz and what type of devices?
With my phone (iPhone 12 pro max) I see around 100 mbps difference (560 vs 470) going from 160 to 80. Ofc this could be affected by other stuff, I'm not sure.
Though my goal is to fix my neighbors' wifi (well I call them neighbors only because we share the same house), or thay're all gonna start attacking me for having better network gears and knowledge.

Your numbers are low. You have to see up to 800Mbps to 2-stream WIFI 6 client with 80MHz wide channel.

Your numbers are low. You have to see up to 800Mbps to 2-stream WIFI 6 client with 80MHz wide channel.
Yup... I just tweaked my wireless settings a bit, turned on airtime fairness and AMPDU aggregation optimization. Now 720 mbps

My advice to you based on what I see so far - restore default Wi-Fi settings and don't touch anything.
I get it you're thinking I'm messing all the settings up, which to be honest I did... The default settings have OFDMA and MUMIMO all disabled, pretty sure one doesn't want that?

pretty sure one doesn't want that?

Both pretty useless in a home setup with limited number of active clients. MU-MIMO will lower the throughput to single client, when it's active. Same with Airtime Fairness, to faster clients. AMPDU Aggregation may cause timing issues with voice/video calls. You are messing with settings indeed.

Hi all,
I've had my AX86U for almost half a year and I'm happy with it. But due to all my neighbor's wireless are all operating on channel 32-64 and 149+, I have to use channel 100-140. The problem is if I select 160Hz mode, I can only select channel 32-64. My unit is Canada version and have the latest merlin firmware installed. I have tried setting region variables to JP using command line (and init-start script), but that didn't change anything. On my old D-Link DIR-882 running dd-wrt, setting region to JP allowed 100/160 operation.
Thanks in advance.
Replying to an old thread, but did you figure it out?

I have a UK-bought AX86U and about 6 months ago I tested a 160 MHz channel in the 100+ DFS range. You have to wait 10 minutes due to a CAC requirement in Europe for channels 120-128, but it did work just fine. However, I just went to try it again and I can no longer select channel 100 for 160MHz. :( Did they disable it with a firmware update? I hope not.

Replying to an old thread, but did you figure it out?

I have a UK-bought AX86U and about 6 months ago I tested a 160 MHz channel in the 100+ DFS range. You have to wait 10 minutes due to a CAC requirement in Europe for channels 120-128, but it did work just fine. However, I just went to try it again and I can no longer select channel 100 for 160MHz. :( Did they disable it with a firmware update? I hope not.
I basically gave up, the newest version of the firmware only uses 160 when a supported device is connected, which I only have one (my AX210). I just left it on 64/160.

I basically gave up, the newest version of the firmware only uses 160 when a supported device is connected, which I only have one (my AX210). I just left it on 64/160.
Do you have AI Mesh? That was the problem for me. I had to reboot the whole AIMesh system, and before the nodes could reconnect, it gave me the option to use channels 120-128, so I could add 160 MHz on Channel 100. Then after the nodes had reconnected it no longer gave me the option and it showed "Auto", but it stayed connected at 160 MHz on channel 100. I guess a recent change to the firmware now necessitates this workaround, it's annoying. But it works. You need to reboot from the AI Mesh menu. Even if you don't have any nodes, try it.

Using 160 MHz on 36-64 is a bad idea imo because you're likely going to have interference from every single 5 GHz AP in your vicinity. I guess it depends on how densely populated your area is, but I think in most cases you won't see a speed increase vs. 80 MHz, and you're also adding 3 dB of noise, so you'll have worse reception. And moreover, the connection will be less stable, adjacent channel interference especially is really bad.

Do you have AI Mesh? That was the problem for me. I had to reboot the whole AIMesh system, and before the nodes could reconnect, it gave me the option to use channels 120-128, so I could add 160 MHz on Channel 100. Then after the nodes had reconnected it no longer gave me the option and it showed "Auto", but it stayed connected at 160 MHz on channel 100. I guess a recent change to the firmware now necessitates this workaround, it's annoying. But it works. You need to reboot from the AI Mesh menu. Even if you don't have any nodes, try it.

Using 160 MHz on 36-64 is a bad idea imo because you're likely going to have interference from every single 5 GHz AP in your vicinity. I guess it depends on how densely populated your area is, but I think in most cases you won't see a speed increase vs. 80 MHz, and you're also adding 3 dB of noise, so you'll have worse reception. And moreover, the connection will be less stable, adjacent channel interference especially is really bad.
I dont have AiMesh, the AX86U is the only node I have. As someone explained above this is most likely region limits, and currently there's no way for flashing CFE on a AX86U.

Oh yeah, just looked it up and in Canada 120-128 are not available for WLAN at all. So if you have a Canadian bought unit (I'm assuming you're not actually in Canada) and changing the region is not possible then you're out of luck. :( I would still use 80 MHz at 100 than 160 MHz at 36-64 unless there is minimum interference in your area.

Oh yeah, just looked it up and in Canada 120-128 are not available for WLAN at all. So if you have a Canadian bought unit (I'm assuming you're not actually in Canada) and changing the region is not possible then you're out of luck. :( I would still use 80 MHz at 100 than 160 MHz at 36-64 unless there is minimum interference in your area.
I actually am in Canada. I did my best to minimize channel overlapping in my house so it should be fine, and most of the time it'll run at 80 anyways.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!