What's new

AX86U sighting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hard to come by even up here in Canada for the last few months. The regular price went up since it's intro and it hasn't been on sale in ages (like it used to every few weeks).

Everywhere OOS, or backordered until JANUARY up here.

I don't need one yet, the AC86U still going strong but AX86U will be in my sights only if this one dies.

Found some locally at Microcenter at $229. Oddly enough, the AX86S is priced at $259. After returning my 1st one, I'm pondering give it a second chance.

Found some locally at Microcenter at $229. Oddly enough, the AX86S is priced at $259. After returning my 1st one, I'm pondering give it a second chance.
I'd been lurking here lately looking for tips on a new router. Haven't been here for a while.

So based on that I bought a RT-AX86U at Microcenter a few days ago for $249.99 + tax. Looks like I can get $20 + tax back now that it's on sale. Glad I didn't wait too long as it looks like their stock is getting low. When I was there one of the employees pointed out a couple of other Asus routers including the RT-AX86S. He was also a bit surprised when comparing the specs that the RT-AX86S would cost more than the RT-AX86U. He said that he bought the ASUS RT-AX82U Gundam Edition because of the anime aspect. But that's not a consideration for me. Have it running the stock Asus firmware for a while just to make sure everything works right.

Last edited:
I'd been lurking here for lately looking for tips on a new router. Haven't been here for a while.

So based on that I bought a RT-AX86U at Microcenter a few days ago for $249.99 + tax. Looks like I can get $20 + tax back now that it's on sale. Glad I didn't wait too long as it looks like their stock is getting low. When I was there one of the employees pointed out a couple of other Asus routers including the RT-AX86S. He was also a bit surprised when comparing the specs that the RT-AX86S would cost more than the RT-AX86U. He said that he bought the ASUS RT-AX82U Gundam Edition because of the anime aspect. But that's not a consideration for me. Have it running the stock Asus firmware for a while just to make sure everything works right.
I literally set mine up within the last hour..Really want it to perform on Asus stock well, then may move to Merlin again. My AC86U had been rock solid after Asus replaced mine last year. Some places have priced the S higher than the original.

I literally set mine up within the last hour..Really want it to perform on Asus stock well, then may move to Merlin again. My AC86U had been rock solid after Asus replaced mine last year. Some places have priced the S higher than the original.
I skipped the AC86U and at this point seemed like the AX86U was the way to go. I'm basically very cheap and historically haven't had huge requirements from a router. So I ran an AC66U for many years then started looking at upgrades when the power button broke. I taped it down with some 100 MPH tape and started shopping. Then someone in the neighborhood had a used like new AC66U for $15 so I just bought that and continued to procrastinate. But it finally just wasn't cutting it any more. I seriously considered an AC66U B1 but am happy that I went for the AX86U. I hope it works out for the both of us. Mine has only been running a couple of days but no real problems yet. Had some wireless plug switches stop working and had to set them up again. Thinking maybe they were associated with the mac address of the old router. Good luck...

Hopefully this copy of my ax86u is solid. My upgrade n66u>Ac86u>ax86u

Will keep my ac86u for some time then probably sell or give to family member.

Sounds like the AC86U is a winner of you get a good one. I also had an N66U before the AC66U. It was pretty solid and hooked me on Asus routers.

N66u was the worst router I've owned..actually had traded into best buy for 15% coupon..lol

mineN66u was the worst router I've owned..actually had traded into best buy for 15% coupon..lol
Hah. Well. I always ran 3rd party firmware on my routers which probably helped. Been doing that since the Linksys WRT54G days. Maybe even before that. So running stock firmware like I am now is very unusual for me.

My local Microcenter is down to one RT-AX86U in stock. There were 7 just a few days ago when I bought mine.

Darnit they're all sold out of the Zaku II Edition. Just kidding. Not my style, just costs more for different colored plastic.

photostudio_1640249044024.jpg

Last edited:

@DarkKnight75 Please stay with the stock Asus firmware for at least a month or two. Configure it to your liking and make sure the new AX86U works perfectly for you before thinking about making any changes.

We are looking out for you here and want you to have the maximum positive AX86U experience. ;)
It's somewhat about the experience, but mostly having hardware work as it should out of the box..I've been with Asus several years now and hope my new ax86u performs..

Done with the AX86U. Kernel and CPU crash again. Going back to my AC86U. This was even after factory reset.