What's new

AX88U 2.4ghz wireless intermittent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys hope you can advise me, I have the RT-AX88U router and for a while now the 2.4ghz wifi does not operate when the router is rebooted for any reason, well I've just installed the 386.8 f/w update and it fails to come on at all even after reapeted reboots, I'm not sure whether it's the router or the f/w's could you please advise.

Test your router with stock Asuswrt only. I would use better tested 386.49674 firmware and not fresh released 388.20499. If the same issue happens, it can be hardware. I had one AX88U with failed 2.4GHz radio and it was fixed only after IC removal, re-balling it with leaded solder and soldering it back on the PCB. The same fix applies for AC86U with failed 2.4GHz radio. The IC itself is usually good, but the RoHS solder joints fail from thermal stress.

After flashing the latest firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults?

Did you use any saved backup config files to configure and set up the router?

What features and options are you using on the router?

Did you toggle options on/off? This is another reason to do a full reset if you have. For some settings, it is not the same as leaving them at defaults (and not touching them at all).

Thanks Tech9 I'll do the test first as you suggested, which IC is it, I'll have to look it up, I have some soldering equipment but not the necessary for re-balling so hope the problem is'nt hardware

After flashing the latest firmware, did you do a full reset to factory defaults?

Did you use any saved backup config files to configure and set up the router?

What features and options are you using on the router?

Did you toggle options on/off? This is another reason to do a full reset if you have. For some settings, it is not the same as leaving them at defaults (and not touching them at all).
Hi L&LD no I didn't do a factory reset as I did'nt think resetting was necessary after a f/w update also I have'nt got a config backup as I thought it would still have the 2.4ghz issue within it. The config of the router is what I think was recommended with merlin f/w. I have a lot of network settings in the config meaning all the pc's etc on my network with static ip's and it's a lot of work redoing them. So if I can get the 2.4ghz going again then I will do a backup of the config.

This router has 2x identical BCM43684 radio chips inside. The one connected to SKY85006 is 2.4GHz radio.

You need hot air station and good flux as minimum to attempt re-flow repair, but it is usually temporary fix. Try everything you can in software first. Stock Asuswrt, hard factory reset after, minimal configuration for testing purposes. Don't load saved configuration files, set it up manually.

This router has 2x identical BCM43684 radio chips inside. The one connected to SKY85006 is 2.4GHz radio.

You need hot air station and good flux as minimum to attempt re-flow repair, but it is usually temporary fix. Try everything you can in software first. Stock Asuswrt, hard factory reset after, minimal configuration for testing purposes. Don't load saved configuration files, set it up manually.
Ok Tech9 will do as advised first but I don't look forward to a manual setup again egh!

You have to do it anyway, if you need to replace this router with something else.
Yes I suppose but would you belive it I just did a quick on/off of the router and the 2.4 is working again si I'll do a config backup

I need a router with 8 lan sockets on rear, is there an alternaative with same number of lan outlets do you know

The extra 4x LAN ports in AC/AX88U routers are on a separate controller and it has reliability issues history. Get an 8-port switch instead for $20.

Hello: Such a curiosity I have AX88U with FW 386.8, if I use browsing (CHROMIUM) then from the menu of the router LED on-of, turns on (only the first 2 LEDs), and using Opera & Chrome turn on all this as they should. "MENU Asus AX88U works badly with Chromium"

Last edited: