What's new

Solved AX88U AI Mesh - Can't add AC68U as Node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sptz

Regular Contributor
Hi all, I'm trying to setup an AI Mesh using my old AC68U as a node. I've upgraded it to the latest Merlin firmware, and reset it afterwards. So it's fully "default" and I get this every time I try to add it as a node to my AX88U? Am I missing something? I'm also on the latest Merlin on the AX88U

1667929582514.png

UPDATE: Connected the AX88U LAN to AC68U WAN and it worked. Moved the AC68U to the other side of the room (so wireless now) and it doesn't even show in AI MESH wtf :l

UPDATE 2: I've flashed stock on both and it's working perfectly now.

Last edited:
I had no problems conneting my AC68U to my new GT-AX6000. I think it should work for your similar config too.

1.) Flash AC86U with latest stock Asuswrt factory firmware
1.5) Put it in close proximity to your AX88U
2.) Reset to defaults
3.) Leave it for few minutes to properly boot up

4.) Turn on both bands (2.4 AND 5 GHz) on AX88U and check that WPS is turned on on it
5.) Connect your PC with an ethernet cable to AX88U
6.) Now search for the AC68U node. You can do it wirelessly, it should work.

I did manage to do it with Ethernet to wan but immediately afterwards it disconnects. Even after a reboot... :/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108_202403_Edge.png
    Screenshot_20221108_202403_Edge.png
    288.7 KB · Views: 69
I had no problems conneting my AC68U to my new GT-AX6000. I think it should work for your similar config too.

1.) Flash AC86U with latest stock Asuswrt factory firmware
1.5) Put it in close proximity to your AX88U
2.) Reset to defaults
3.) Leave it for few minutes to properly boot up

4.) Turn on both bands (2.4 AND 5 GHz) on AX88U and check that WPS is turned on on it
5.) Connect your PC with an ethernet cable to AX88U
6.) Now search for the AC68U node. You can do it wirelessly, it should work.

I followed exactly what you said. It only worked with Ethernet cable and the exact same thing happened with Merlin's firmware. It adds to AI mesh but 5 mins later it's disconnected as per my post above.... Without doing anything, Ethernet cable still plugged.

Read this:

Read this:

Just read it. Not a good outcome from the sound of it. Still, doesn't explain my 2 posts above? Even wired it's not working *after* being successfully added? With Merlin or stock asus firmware on the AC68U

The two routers are 3 generations apart. AC68U is ARMv7 AC Wave 1, then there was HND AC86U ARMv8 AC Wave 2, then your HND AX88U ARMv8 AC Wave 2 + AX. Asus claims all AiMesh supported routers are compatible, but this is not always the case. Also, is your AC68U a genuine RT-AC68U router or converted TM-AC1900 hotspot? Asking because I had a few AC68U variants in my hands and they all worked wired with fail back to wireless when disconnected. Have you tried stock Asuswrt on both main + node?

The two routers are 3 generations apart. AC68U is ARMv7 AC Wave 1, then there was HND AC86U ARMv8 AC Wave 2, then your HND AX88U ARMv8 AC Wave 2 + AX. Asus claims all AiMesh supported routers are compatible, but this is not always the case. Also, is your AC68U a genuine RT-AC68U router or converted TM-AC1900 hotspot? Asking because I had a few AC68U variants in my hands and they all worked wired with fail back to wireless when disconnected. Have you tried stock Asuswrt on both main + node?

It's a genuine AC68U. Had it for 8 years or so! I didn't really want to go the stock route on the AX88U but may have to do that if need be as I really need to due to crappy WiFi coverage :/

What about running it in AP Mode? It works always.

I've flashed stock on both and it's working perfectly now.

Just a question regarding using AP mode. What would be the inherent advantage here? I'm using the AC68U to help reach the corner of my flat which as far as I can see now it is helping with stability and speed.

With AP mode you'd have essentially 2 distinct 5ghz SSIDs correct? So you'd have to connect each device to whatever you deem as closest/strongest?

With AP mode you'd have essentially 2 distinct 5ghz SSIDs correct? So you'd have to connect each device to whatever you deem as closest/strongest?

Absolutely correct.

If you use a router in aimesh mode it actually becomes an expensive antenna for the main router. Use Aimesh if you want to stream Netflix runnig up and down the stairs without hiccups. :D

In AP mode you gain more control and settings over an AP but you have to connect to separate SSIDs when one becomes too weak to use. HOWEVER there is a solution to this too; setup a Roaming Assistant in Wireless/Professional tab. It needs a bit of tweaking and trying but is doable...

Hi all, I'm trying to setup an AI Mesh using my old AC68U as a node. I've upgraded it to the latest Merlin firmware, and reset it afterwards. So it's fully "default" and I get this every time I try to add it as a node to my AX88U? Am I missing something? I'm also on the latest Merlin on the AX88U

View attachment 45314

UPDATE: Connected the AX88U LAN to AC68U WAN and it worked. Moved the AC68U to the other side of the room (so wireless now) and it doesn't even show in AI MESH wtf :l
i actually previously had this issue when my Mesh node was connected via wifi. After trying and trying to no avail, I finally tried via ethernet. BOOM, connected first try

Your choice. You can set the same SSIDs like the main router and your devices will connect to your AP when close to it. You have more control in AP mode like different channels (higher aggregate throughput) and Tx power adjustment (a chance for better roaming adjustment), not available in AiMesh node setup. It's also main router independent - both can be different make and model.

If you use a router in aimesh mode it actually becomes an expensive antenna for the main router.

This is incorrect. Wired AiMesh node is Access Point with the same SSIDs as the main router and with very limited central management. Wireless AiMesh node is a Repeater. You perhaps have read too many Asus advertisements. AiMesh node only gives you Guest Network option, if you need one at this location. It has no other advantages. More user friendly setup perhaps for less tech people.

In AP mode you gain more control and settings over an AP but you have to connect to separate SSIDs

One of my networks has 8x Access Points. Do you think I connect to 8x separate SSIDs when moving around? :rolleyes: