What's new

AX88U - Dual WAN help and advice please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
Hello fine folk of SNB forums. I just joined because I’m looking for help with my ASUS AX88U, which I just installed Merlin on, and this seems like the best place for that, at least I hope so.

I run my AX88U in dual WAN mode, and I’m looking for some tips and advice to try and make it work better.

I have two internet connections - a DSL line with poor speeds but good latency (which I mainly only want my gaming devices to use) and a fast LTE connection with latency issues (which I use for streaming video etc). My Primary WAN1 (Vodafone DSL) connection is with a Vigor 130 modem in bridge mode, using PPPoE. My Secondary WAN2 (Vodafone 4G) is using an Hauwei 525 Router. The router does not have a bridge mode, so still does NAT. I have disabled Wifi, DHCP and it’s connected to the AX88U in IP connection mode.

I use the routing rules (192.168.50.1/25 -> all) to have all devices given an IP by the DHCP default to the secondary WAN, other specific devices with manually assigned IP's are configured to use the secondary WAN.

It’s the secondary WAN I’m having issues with. It works most of the time, and things like Netflix, YouTube etc are working well. But webpages often fail to load, or freeze midway. Usually a quick refresh does the trick but it’s very annoying.

Can anyone else here who runs or had knowledge of a dual WAN setups offer any advice on what might be causing this and how it can be improved?

In fact does anyone have any general recommended tips/settings for running dual WAN on the AX88U?

Oh, one other question – I notice that NAT can disable on the AX88U side for the secondary WAN. The double NAT situation does not seem to cause me any issues, but is worth turning it off and leaving it to the Huawei router?

TIA.

I have tested Asus Dual WAN on RT-AC66U, RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U and RT-AC5300. It's not working well and I believe Asus uses the same old broken code with every firmware. Load balancing kind of works, sometimes, fail over works mostly then the cable is physically unplugged. You need to experiment and find what works for you. This is not Dual WAN and should not be advertised as Dual WAN.

As @Tech9 mentioned, its broken and I faced the same exact issue of the page unable to load and a few refresh does the job. But most of the time using and payment apps it was so annoying that I disbaled and using two connections seperately. Was more reliable. It's a Headache to be Honest.

As @Tech9 mentioned, its broken and I faced the same exact issue of the page unable to load and a few refresh does the job. But most of the time using and payment apps it was so annoying that I disbaled and using two connections seperately. Was more reliable. It's a Headache to be Honest.

Thanks. Did you have it configured with routing rules to force certain devices to always one WAN? Or did you leave it for the router to load balance?

Thanks. Did you have it configured with routing rules to force certain devices to always one WAN? Or did you leave it for the router to load balance?
Tried rules as well but it was a Hassel, I wanted peace of Mind. So dropped the Plan.