What's new

AX88U Firmware on AX56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The router class is a marketing trick, indicating the sum of total theoretical maximums in ideal conditions for all supported bands. RT-AX56U is marketed as AX1800 class router, up to 574Mbps on 2.4GHz + up to 1201Mbps on 5GHz = 1778Mbps maximum ever possible connection speeds. Real life situation is much different, usually far from what was advertised. Also, WiFi is half-duplex communication, so divide connection speeds roughly on half and this is what throughput you can get. For example, to push around 400Mbps throughput you'll need minimum 2x2 AC clients connected at maximum 866Mbps link speed (located close to the router). Also, the radio is shared by all connected clients (including the ones connected to AiMesh in dual band routers with wireless backhaul, including the ones connected to repeaters, etc.), so 400Mbps you may get to one single client only, if the others stay quiet. At the moment people with Gigabit ISP have a slim chance to see something closer to Gigabit over WiFi only with 4x4 AC client (1733Mbps link speed) or faster (AX) and only close to the router.

You may not need QoS on a 500Mbps ISP line, especially if the upload is also 500Mbps. Many consumer routers can't do 500Mbps with QoS enabled, not sure what's the situation with RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U, never had one in my hands to test it.

hah spectrum cable might be 400mbit down but upload is pitiful at best its only 25mbit, so QOS will most likely still be need in NJ optimum was 200 down/40 up now i have double down but half the up.

Though I can get AX58Ufrom my best buy or the AX88U but not the AX56U

Last edited:
Though I can get AX58Ufrom my best buy or the AX88U but not the AX56U

Do you really need an AX router now? Because all those are early products with partial AX specifications support and WiFi 6E with 6GHz band support is coming already. I would say save your money. Get the AX router when you have multiple AX clients already, the routers support better AX standards and are cheaper. Getting AX router now is pointless in my opinion.

Reactions: Gar
no it just if I gona buy new router I rather get it we current wifi stanadard, when I bought the AC66U it was in same place as the AX routers which 199$ at time, this router is 150$. so should I just wait lil longer to see what happens with AX? unless we sudden switch to streaming servies for tv there is no rush cause there really is that much load on fast 5260 that it kills it performance is just slow it down a lil when anything it streaming/downloading.

both 5/2 ghz have habit of make random device not have internet, EVEN though they are connected to router, and I can see that from routher UI that is connected it even has packets going back farther, but those device load absolute nothing, I have to disconnect wifi on that device and reconnect then it works. and it happen on ever device sooner latter, DHCP lease is set to 7 days to avoid such issue but this happen 2-3 times week some time on most wireless devices. and range is kind questionable. I was at some point look at the AC86U but that pushing price wise it would be hard sell, to my father

I give him recommendation and then I the get the whole is there guarantee this fixes things, which cant give him cause it wifi, then he says can just get router and try for 30 days and see if it fixes things, nothing happens.

Cause most my stuff is wired it most this stuff dont bother me much. but i get complains none the less, already told him the isp router is under power and it wifi range is question able, and problem with device not getting internet even though they are connect is probably the router. what setting it had that changeable i have change already nothing helped.

I do have router in closet, and doors are one side aluminum and other mirror, which I know can interfere with wifi, but I already test signal with that door open and close far away and 5 feet away from it, signal dont drop by much in first place with it closed vs open and those no internet even when it connected, issue happen directly in front of router with door open, so that can be cause.

2gh get bout 25-50mbit at opposite end of house with that door closed, and the 5 ghz get 150+mbit

Honestly I regret learning all what IT stuff I know and rest of the computer stuff i know.

Last edited:
You'll get partial AX standards router no faster than $120 AC router with your current devices. It's up to you...

Thats not true. My AX58 is faster on page loads and much faster on boots and GUI then my AC3100 hands down. Get so tired of you people that wasted your money on a new AC router trying to justify your purchase by putting down all the AX routers.

Truth is the new AX routers offer better performance even with AC devices just like AC did with N devices. It's the way it is deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!