What's new

AX88U main router with AX92U AiMesh nodes cannot use Wifi 6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

michnovka

New Around Here
I can use Wifi6 on AX88U connected clients fine, but when I switch to AX92U, it always uses only AC.

AX92U uses the 2nd 5GHz channel as backhaul link. This is also the one which supports AX. And there is a FAQ page explaining how to get the network to work with AX for clients, instead for backhaul.

The problem is that this setup assumes you use AX92U as both AiMesh master and nodes. Since my AX88U has only one 5GHz range, there is no way for me to set up AX92U to not use its 2nd band for backhaul. This is EXTREMELY annoying especially because my nodes are connected using Ethernet cable, so really, the whole 5GHz AX band is wasted without any use.

I cannot configure the node in any way whatsoever, since when it is node, any configuration can be done only on master.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I can use Wifi6 on AX88U connected clients fine, but when I switch to AX92U, it always uses only AC.

AX92U uses the 2nd 5GHz channel as backhaul link. This is also the one which supports AX. And there is a FAQ page explaining how to get the network to work with AX for clients, instead for backhaul.

The problem is that this setup assumes you use AX92U as both AiMesh master and nodes. Since my AX88U has only one 5GHz range, there is no way for me to set up AX92U to not use its 2nd band for backhaul. This is EXTREMELY annoying especially because my nodes are connected using Ethernet cable, so really, the whole 5GHz AX band is wasted without any use.

I cannot configure the node in any way whatsoever, since when it is node, any configuration can be done only on master.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Perhaps from the UI, it can't be configured that way if you have a non AX92U master node. I don't know if there's a CLI command on the AX92U to force it. Maybe that's a lead you can pursue.

Here's a suggestion (I don't know how good it may work though).

Either use the RT-AX92U as the main and the RT-AX88U as the node or, use the RT-AX88U as your main and one RT-AX92U as an AiMesh AP (and the other RT-AX92U as its node).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!