What's new

AX88U Slow After Moving

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

diablo2man

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I bought AX88U a few months ago to replace my old TPLink and have been very happy with it. But I just moved to another apartment in the same building and the wifi download speed (speedtest.com) suddenly dropped from around 500Mbps to 200Mbps, while the upload speed is still ~500Mbps. The device now has Merlin 384.17. Here are what I have done:

• ISP: I'm now using another fiber ISP (was using AT&T but hate their gateway router). Connect computer via Ethernet to the AX88U and got ~1Gbps speed. So the issue must be related to the wireless connection
  • End devices: tried iPhone and Laptop. Laptop is even slower than iPhone (~150) which I guess partly due to Wifi 6 support
  • Router setting: I restored to factory default and no difference (it is still Merlin after factory reset which I guess it is the normal behavior?)
  • Channel: I tried a couple of fixed channel (120, 161 etc.) as well as auto channel. not much improving
I also uploaded the wifi settings...currently it is after factory reset so everything should be in default setting.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-10 150315.png
    Annotation 2020-06-10 150315.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 374
what i would do is login to router. Go to wireless tab and then "Site Survey". Go to the setting page and start sampling for about 15 seconds. Then go back to "Site Survey" and press "Scan". I suspect you and others are using the same control channel and your in a crowded airwave. Manually select a control channel that is not found in the survey or down around or lower. My area most are at -85 db. I either use the lower channels or the upper channels. If you have a ROKU that is connected wirelessly, you must use upper channels. Stay away from mid channels if there are radar and airports around the site. The object here is to find a clear channel. Do this for 2.4ghz band too.

In my settings i have disabled "WiFi Agile Multiband"

Hope this helps

what i would do is login to router. Go to wireless tab and then "Site Survey". Go to the setting page and start sampling for about 15 seconds. Then go back to "Site Survey" and press "Scan". I suspect you and others are using the same control channel and your in a crowded airwave. Manually select a control channel that is not found in the survey or down around or lower. My area most are at -85 db. I either use the lower channels or the upper channels. If you have a ROKU that is connected wirelessly, you must use upper channels. Stay away from mid channels if there are radar and airports around the site. The object here is to find a clear channel. Do this for 2.4ghz band too.

In my settings i have disabled "WiFi Agile Multiband"

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. I did site survey (attached screenshot) and I'm actually the only one use 36 control channel (the first one). So it doesn't seem like a channel issue. What do you think?

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-06-12 113907.png
    Annotation 2020-06-12 113907.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 343
Hi all,

I bought AX88U a few months ago to replace my old TPLink and have been very happy with it. But I just moved to another apartment in the same building and the wifi download speed (speedtest.com) suddenly dropped from around 500Mbps to 200Mbps, while the upload speed is still ~500Mbps. The device now has Merlin 384.17. Here are what I have done:

• ISP: I'm now using another fiber ISP (was using AT&T but hate their gateway router). Connect computer via Ethernet to the AX88U and got ~1Gbps speed. So the issue must be related to the wireless connection
  • End devices: tried iPhone and Laptop. Laptop is even slower than iPhone (~150) which I guess partly due to Wifi 6 support
  • Router setting: I restored to factory default and no difference (it is still Merlin after factory reset which I guess it is the normal behavior?)
  • Channel: I tried a couple of fixed channel (120, 161 etc.) as well as auto channel. not much improving
I also uploaded the wifi settings...currently it is after factory reset so everything should be in default setting.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Hi. Have you tried disabling ax? Then maybe try a manual channel such as 44.

Last edited:
looking at your scan results, i see your 802.11 is "an" and your bandwidth is "10MHz" This router should be showing 80MHz per your setup and "an/ac". Not sure what going on here. Maybe it`s time to start over using L&LD procedure out here in the forum.

looking at your scan results, i see your 802.11 is "an" and your bandwidth is "10MHz" This router should be showing 80MHz per your setup and "an/ac". Not sure what going on here. Maybe it`s time to start over using L&LD procedure out here in the forum.

I think the site survey had some issues earlier. Now I did it again it shows n/ac/ax and 80MHz (also checked my laptop wifi status which shows ac/80MHz.

are you using a new modem?

I changed ISP from AT&T to WaveG so I'm pretty sure the fiber device is different. Although I tested internet speed while hardwired to router and I got 1GHz so I assume the issue is not there. Do you think otherwise?

One weird thing is that my upload is still pretty fast - 500Mbps while download is slowing to ~200Mbps (was 500Mbps both way).

I changed ISP from AT&T to WaveG so I'm pretty sure the fiber device is different. Although I tested internet speed while hardwired to router and I got 1GHz so I assume the issue is not there. Do you think otherwise?

One weird thing is that my upload is still pretty fast - 500Mbps while download is slowing to ~200Mbps (was 500Mbps both way).

Okay so I know this is a different situation but I went from a ARRIS DOCSIS3.0 (intel puma 6) 24 stream modem to a Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 (Intel puma 7) 32 stream modem (24 in use) and gained around 50-70mbps consistent throughput over wireless regardless of the LAN/wired performance staying fairly identical. Same Plan/Location, though I guess the modulation is different per device.

I later switched the "newer" spectrum modem (had intermittent issues) to a different variant of the same model (different OEM) which apparently has a Broadcom SoC instead of the PUMA. All 3 have/had different performance characteristics over WIFI and will perform better or worse depending on which WIFI manufacturer I used (EX: Broadcom or Qualcomm).

There seems to be a trend in gateway devices... most stuff is either broadcom+ broadcom or Intel +Qualcomm designs. I'm wondering if your fiber modem is intel based? Could be defective or have a random issue. I'm pretty sure the router didn't just crap it itself out.

Okay so I know this is a different situation but I went from a ARRIS DOCSIS3.0 (intel puma 6) 24 stream modem to a Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 (Intel puma 7) 32 stream modem (24 in use) and gained around 50-70mbps consistent throughput over wireless regardless of the LAN/wired performance staying fairly identical. Same Plan/Location, though I guess the modulation is different per device.

I later switched the "newer" spectrum modem (had intermittent issues) to a different variant of the same model (different OEM) which apparently has a Broadcom SoC instead of the PUMA. All 3 have/had different performance characteristics over WIFI and will perform better or worse depending on which WIFI manufacturer I used (EX: Broadcom or Qualcomm).

There seems to be a trend in gateway devices... most stuff is either broadcom+ broadcom or Intel +Qualcomm designs. I'm wondering if your fiber modem is intel based? Could be defective or have a random issue. I'm pretty sure the router didn't just crap it itself out.

Thanks. I think your situation doesn't apply here as WaveG actually doesn't need modem (directly from my ethernet port to the switch in the building). Also unless ISP can distinguish wireless or wired connection coming from a home wireless router (I don't believe so), problem should be around the router if I can get 1GHz connection from router in wired connection.

Maybe it is just my new apartment has worse wireless interference from some unknown source...

ISP: I'm now using another fiber ISP (was using AT&T but hate their gateway router). Connect computer via Ethernet to the AX88U and got ~1Gbps speed. So the issue must be related to the wireless connection

So prior to the move your saying that you were using AT&T with their modem. This means that your previous appartment was connected to AT&T fiber lines and related hardware. Now your directly connected to a wall jack the connects to the buildings switch. This is now serviced by WAVEG.
You might want to check with a neighbor and see if they have the same issues as you do. There might be a setup issue that you need to solve with WAVEG. Also how far is the switch from your appartment. If there are no solutions to the problem, go back to AT&T is you need the download speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!