What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, correct. Did factory reset on both with the WPS button after upgrade.
Thats not good news. Downgrade to 384 as that definitely does not crash / reboot.

I still have crashes/reboots with this new FW a couple of times a day (as before). Speed is good.

I have made reset after upgrade;

Using wireless AiMesh, stock settings. Ideas what to try?
Hmmm... So far, for users here who've switched to 41712, yours is the only one that's still problematic. Try swapping your main AX92U with your other AX92U, ie use your other AX92U as main router. Disconnect any USB devices attached to your AX92U's for now. Factory reset both then setup your AiMesh, assuming that's what you had. To factory reset, I went to the Administration screen, and put a check mark on the initialize box and clicked Factory reset button on the UI, I didn't use WPS button to reset. I have default settings in WiFi Professional for all 3 radios except I turned off Universal Beamforming. For 5ghz-2, I enabled 160mhz and forced this radio on 160mhz only. Smart connect turned off.

Last edited:
I have switched back all my AP's to AiMesh nodes out of curiosity. I have to say, I'm liking AiMesh 2.0 a lot better compared to 1.0. There are a bunch of essential settings now in 2.0 that were missing in 1.0 which caused me to switch to AP mode. My two AX92U's are on 386.41712 and three AC68U's are on 386.41634... main router connected to all nodes via MoCA 2.0 wired backhaul. So far so good...I have not had to reboot my main AX92U to switch my AP's to mesh nodes. It's uptime has been 2 days 7 hours...2 of those hours have been in AiMesh. Fast wired and wifi speeds. Ai Protection and Traffic Analyzer turned on. I have about 70+ wired and wireless devices spread across the main router and mesh nodes.
How's you guest network on the node? Does it work? And does it isolate each client?

Hmmm... So far, for users here who've switched to 41712, yours is the only one that's still problematic. Try swapping your main AX92U with your other AX92U, ie use your other AX92U as main router. Disconnect any USB devices attached to your AX92U's for now. Factory reset both then setup your AiMesh, assuming that's what you had. To factory reset, I went to the Administration screen, and put a check mark on the initialize box and clicked Factory reset button on the UI, I didn't use WPS button to reset. I have default settings in WiFi Professional for all 3 radios except I turned off Universal Beamforming. For 5ghz-2, I enabled 160mhz and forced this radio on 160mhz only. Smart connect turned off.
I manually uploaded the FW once again, reset using WPS and last through UI.

Keep fingers crossed!

Last thing to try if it not works is swap units, but I would like fore sure to know that there is no hardware issues first.

I manually uploaded the FW once again, reset using WPS and last through UI.

Keep fingers crossed!

Last thing to try if it not works is swap units, but I would like fore sure to know that there is no hardware issues first.

One other thing to check is cables. Bad cables or loose cables can lead to unexpected errors. It's always a "D'oh!" moment for me when I've spent hours trouble shooting and then discover it was a bad cable.

BTW, I just noticed now that my Adaptive QoS is enabled. I did not enable it. I'm suspecting that after switching to AiMesh, it was enabled by as well. I have now disabled it and I don't see any difference in speedtests. Or...it may have something to do with the Asus mobile app. I was playing with it this morning. Not sure if I pressed the wrong button in the app by accident. LOL!

Anyone else see whether your QoS got enabled as well?

Last edited:
BTW, I just noticed now that my Adaptive QoS is enabled. I did not enable it. I'm suspecting that after switching to AiMesh, it was enabled by as well. I have now disabled it and I don't see any difference in speedtests. Or...it may have something to do with the Asus mobile app. I was playing with it this morning. Not sure if I pressed the wrong button in the app by accident. LOL!

Anyone else see whether your QoS got enabled as well?

I use QOS. I had to turn QOS on manually.

How's you guest network on the node? Does it work? And does it isolate each client?

Perhaps someone can answer this. I'm not using the built-in DNS/DHCP server in my AX92U. Instead I'm using Pi-hole (running in a VM in FreeNAS) for DNS, DHCP, and ad blocking. It's working great. If I enable Guest network and turn on isolation, wouldn't that mean the devices connected to my guest network won't t be able to connect to my Pi-hole and therefore they would not be able to get an IP and resolve host names and IP's?

Perhaps someone can answer this. I'm not using the built-in DNS/DHCP server in my AX92U. Instead I'm using Pi-hole (running in a VM in FreeNAS) for DNS, DHCP, and ad blocking. It's working great. If I enable Guest network and turn on isolation, wouldn't that mean the devices connected to my guest network won't t be able to connect to my Pi-hole and therefore they would not be able to get an IP and resolve host names and IP's?
I believe that is correct. The guest network is isolated by the AX92u. So it does not have access to the rest of your LAN. So it would not receive an IP address from Pi-hole.

Can you tell me where to set guest network to be able to run on Nodes?
Did you manage to figure this out? I’ve just upgraded to -41712 and cannot see where I enable Guests on mesh nodes. I did not reset after loading new firmware, so maybe...

One other thing to check is cables. Bad cables or loose cables can lead to unexpected errors. It's always a "D'oh!" moment for me when I've spent hours trouble shooting and then discover it was a bad cable.
Still severals reboots/crashes this night :(
I guess I have to try a new cable, not to use AiMesh, switch router/node and so on... :mad:

I do have the log file, but I do not immediately get wiser by looking at it...

Did you manage to figure this out? I’ve just upgraded to -41712 and cannot see where I enable Guests on mesh nodes. I did not reset after loading new firmware, so maybe...
It's in the Guest network menu "Synch to AI Mesh node" .

Yeah it won't work you can give access to intranet but that defeats the purpose of a guest network.

My experience after upgrading my AiMesh setup (consisting of two AX92Us and wireless backhaul) from 40451 to 41712:
I did it from the GUI and everything went fine. Both routers were upgraded to 41712 and Aimesh setup came back online without problems. To be on the safe side I then did a hard reset (WPS button) of the routers. However now I can not get the main router to add the node to AiMesh. The main router see the node but the merge of the node is failing after 35% of processing. I have also tried doing it with wired backhaul and same problem. I have tried adding it multible time and with multible hard resets. Have anyone experienced this or any suggestion on what to do?

My experience after upgrading my AiMesh setup (consisting of two AX92Us and wireless backhaul) from 40451 to 41712:
I did it from the GUI and everything went fine. Both routers were upgraded to 41712 and Aimesh setup came back online without problems. To be on the safe side I then did a hard reset (WPS button) of the routers. However now I can not get the main router to add the node to AiMesh. The main router see the node but the merge of the node is failing after 35% of processing. I have also tried doing it with wired backhaul and same problem. I have tried adding it multible time and with multible hard resets. Have anyone experienced this or any suggestion on what to do?
I had the same problem after reset. But put them really close to each other solved at least my problem. Less than 1 meter.
After setup ok to move.

I had the same problem after reset. But put them really close to each other solved at least my problem. Less than 1 meter.
After setup ok to move.
Forgot to mention that I have also place them less than 1 meter from each other, so this should not be the issue

Anymore success stories of new firmware is great to hear, I've been having problems with firmware for 2 months since upgrading I really hope ASUS has fixed it with this latest update. I will be installing new firmware later on today when I get home from work. Using 2-AX92U with wireless backhaul and have had many dropouts with devices daily. I'll report back after a weekend of testing.

1. Click on the Guest Network. 2. Click the Guest Network you want to enable/modify. You will then get the below menu. From that menu, toggle the SYNC to AIMesh node. You can select Router Only or All.

Guest Network.PNG

Still severals reboots/crashes this night :(
I guess I have to try a new cable, not to use AiMesh, switch router/node and so on... :mad:

I do have the log file, but I do not immediately get wiser by looking at it...
Sorry to hear your experience. Firmware 41712 has been good with my AX92us. Firmware 41535 on AX92u was a nightmare - constant crashes and slow speed. Firmware 386.40451 worked well with AP but crashed with AI Mesh. After you've reset your router, checked cable, and cycled modem on/off - if everything is at factory defaults and you've isolated the modem and router, and the crashes continue, I'd recommend reflashing the firmware, cycle modem, and keep factory defaults and see if the error continues. At this point, if the problem persists, the problem is either the modem or router. If you have another router and that works with the modem, it's likely the router. You may want to contact ASUS tech support. I believe you have a 2 year warranty in US - so you should be in the coverage period.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!