What's new

Back to trusty AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I added a 6 foot copper outside ground rod to my primary breaker box years ago. I had lightening take out a tree across the street and I did not lose any equipment.

Grounding is fundamental! If more than one ground rod (like adding one for an outdoor antenna), bond them together to maintain a common neutral potential throughout the building to discourage ground loop currents/noise. Or some such argument.

OE

Last edited:
Yes one grounding rod. That is why I have my grounding off my primary breaker box as I have 5 breaker boxes in my house, shop and garage.

So a storm (probably lighting strike) took out my work laptop, AC86U, cable modem and monitor. All were connected to my APC backup with surge protection when the unit went off for 5 seconds, all was good. Then a minute later, my laptop went off like an M80 (ethernet was connected to the router). Needless to say, i jumped off my chair and hear the rings for quite some time.

So deciding on which router to buy and my bad luck with AX86U, i went back to a new AC86U (on sale for $139) on Merlin from my local MicroCenter. I passed the bill to my energy company, so will see how much i get back if any (My homeowners deductible was too high to claim)

All good for now....So whats going on with Asus Firmware releases..its being very quiet!!!

Merlin 386.7_a1 is at 48823 GPL and with an AC86U build available for a week now.

This we know. The OP only lost a few boxes and none of his protection circuits... not the back of his house.

OE
I added a 6 foot copper outside ground rod to my primary breaker box years ago. I had lightening take out a tree across the street and I did not lose any equipment.
We have whole house lightening protection in Singapore - building codes - still when we took a direct hit it still took out three aircon units - luckily that was it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!