Back to trusty AC86U

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
I added a 6 foot copper outside ground rod to my primary breaker box years ago. I had lightening take out a tree across the street and I did not lose any equipment.

Grounding is fundamental! If more than one ground rod (like adding one for an outdoor antenna), bond them together to maintain a common neutral potential throughout the building to discourage ground loop currents/noise. Or some such argument.

OE

Last edited:

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Yes one grounding rod. That is why I have my grounding off my primary breaker box as I have 5 breaker boxes in my house, shop and garage.

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
So a storm (probably lighting strike) took out my work laptop, AC86U, cable modem and monitor. All were connected to my APC backup with surge protection when the unit went off for 5 seconds, all was good. Then a minute later, my laptop went off like an M80 (ethernet was connected to the router). Needless to say, i jumped off my chair and hear the rings for quite some time.

So deciding on which router to buy and my bad luck with AX86U, i went back to a new AC86U (on sale for $139) on Merlin from my local MicroCenter. I passed the bill to my energy company, so will see how much i get back if any (My homeowners deductible was too high to claim)

All good for now....So whats going on with Asus Firmware releases..its being very quiet!!!

Merlin 386.7_a1 is at 48823 GPL and with an AC86U build available for a week now.

nukepip

New Around Here
This we know. The OP only lost a few boxes and none of his protection circuits... not the back of his house.

OE
I added a 6 foot copper outside ground rod to my primary breaker box years ago. I had lightening take out a tree across the street and I did not lose any equipment.
We have whole house lightening protection in Singapore - building codes - still when we took a direct hit it still took out three aircon units - luckily that was it