What's new

Bad crimper...or bad crimping?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbc

Regular Contributor
So I purchased a crimper a couple years back that I've never really got around to using. Just got around to trying to crimp some Cat6 cables, and for the life of me can't seem to get any connection whatsoever (i.e., nothing reads out on the tester from 1 to 8). Thought it was possibly bad cables, but then realized it didn't matter what cable I tried to crimp.

Then used some keystone jacks (sell crimping kind), and the cables worked fine.

Dumb question as the crimping tool seems pretty low tech, is it possible that there could be an issue with the tool or more likely something in my technic? Have gone through multiple videos and tried a few different kinds of connectors and different kinds of cables, all to no avail even though eveything looks fine? Wondering if the crimper is not really crimping at this point!

In other news, noticed my builder installed keystones are a disaster, tested a few and had to replace every single one as the signals were not complete (e.g., would get 2 through 7 instead of 1 through 8, or missing ones in between, etc). Wonder if that was the reason even when plugged in to some rooms I was getting pretty crappy speed!

So I purchased a crimper a couple years back that I've never really got around to using. Just got around to trying to crimp some Cat6 cables, and for the life of me can't seem to get any connection whatsoever (i.e., nothing reads out on the tester from 1 to 8). Thought it was possibly bad cables, but then realized it didn't matter what cable I tried to crimp.

Then used some keystone jacks (sell crimping kind), and the cables worked fine.

Dumb question as the crimping tool seems pretty low tech, is it possible that there could be an issue with the tool or more likely something in my technic? Have gone through multiple videos and tried a few different kinds of connectors and different kinds of cables, all to no avail even though eveything looks fine? Wondering if the crimper is not really crimping at this point!

In other news, noticed my builder installed keystones are a disaster, tested a few and had to replace every single one as the signals were not complete (e.g., would get 2 through 7 instead of 1 through 8, or missing ones in between, etc). Wonder if that was the reason even when plugged in to some rooms I was getting pretty crappy speed!

Are you trying to install male ends, female keystone jacks or both?

Attaching male plugs does require a fair amount of patience and a little technique and if you do it only occasionally getting 80- 90% to work on the first try is good. Because of this most people find it isn't worth the time and effort to make short jumpers but instead buy them.

To decrease the frustration of terminating male plugs I always suggest using a crimper made by Platimum tools and the clam shell jacks they sell. For about half the price Klein Tools is selling a very similar tool which I have seen at Home Depot. Even with a Platimum crimper I still get an occassional fail so test every connection

As for your Keystones is sounds like they might have been punched down for telephone. Telephone jacks only use three of the four pairs in a Cat5e cable.

When you get done be sure you are using a consistent wiring pattern. The 568B is the recommended choice but 568A will also work.

Male ends are the issue, doing them on long runs of builder installed cable (otherwise would definitely just buy short runs pre-terminated!). The keystones I've used are all self-crimping and I haven't had an issue with those.

Builder seems to have used 568a as far as I can tell, but god knows if it's the same throughout.

Not sure what the make is of the crimper I bought, will check, think I bought it at home depot in Canada, some green looking one. Haven't had any success at all despite multiple tries, which is why I'm starting to wonder if it's possible the crimper is faulty as I'd think I'd at least get some connectivity even if my technique wasn't fantastic.

Is the wire solid or stranded conductors?

While some male ends and crimpers work with both but your results may vary.

Before driving youself crazy test the continuity on the cables to be sure that the drywaller, carpenter didn't cut some or all the cables midspan because they were in his way.

Easy way to do it by yourself is get a 9 volt battery, the snap on connector for the battery with leads, then twist connect the leads from the battery to a single pair on the cable in question then go to the other end and use a multimeter and check the voltage. Or you can twist the pair together at one end and use the multimeter at the other end and check for continuity, but if the pair is damaged and shorted you still might get continuity even though it is not from end to end.

You don't want to mix up the plugs for solid in wall wire with stranded patch cables. You will be unhappy.

It's definitely not the cables, just cut off the male connector I added and attached a keystone jack at one end, and the other end into my patch panel, and this cable which didn't work at all before now tests perfectly. So it's my crimper, or maybe I'm using the wrong connectors, or I'm just completely hopeless at this?

How does one tell if a cable is stranded vs solid? If by stranded you mean are there 4 twisted pairs (8 wires), then yes, its stranded.

Connectors say they are for stranded or solid.

Edit: I should add, that's the third cable now that I thought wasn't working before after I crimped male connectors but works fine when I connect one end to my patch panel and the other using a keystone (i.e., where I'm not crimping a male connector on either end).

Last edited:
stranded means the individual wires in each signal line are stranded, not that you have multiple signal lines. ie each signal line in the bundle will have multiple strands wrapped around themselves within each signal line's insulation making up the signal line. It should be stamped on the outside insulating cover of the wire bundle.

Last edited:
Darn, just ordered 50 or so of a different style (without the "sled" thing) to see if they work any better, those look quite interesting. Believe I have a clam shell style crimper as it looks like this one (but much less expensive):

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00939KFOU/?tag=smallncom-20
I have a Platinum crimper and it works very well. I do not know what the Klein crimper I linked to costs but I believe Klein has a less deluxe model that Home Depot sells fro around US$40.

The ability to slide the wires through the connector before crimping makes all the difference. First you have longer wires to work with since the excess gets trimmed off. Second you always get a good grip on the strain relief and finally after the wires are in place and before crimping you can check that they went into and came out in the correct order.

I think the original problem may have been he had the wrong male ends for the type of wire he was crimping. He did not seem to know the difference between solid core and stranded cable.

I think the original problem may have been he had the wrong male ends for the type of wire he was crimping. He did not seem to know the difference between solid core and stranded cable.

I agree and Cat6 is tougher to make good ends on the Cat5.

The ends I was using were "Ideal" brand, and stated for either stranded or solid on the box. I'm sure it's my crimping though. Just not sure what/why yet.

Sometimes a pic helps...

As long as one follows the color codes... most folks follow the T-568B spec.

cat-6-wiring-diagrams-568a-vs-568b-ideal-dolgular-com-and-diagram-15-4.jpg

So ordered the pass through Cat6 connectors, same issue. Must be the crimper, which is this one...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.ratchet-modular-plug-crimper.1000752752.html

Reason I'm thinking that is even after crimping the connector on, it doesn't take much of a pull to pull it off, so maybe it's not fully crimping the head and that's the issue. Also, it seemed with one cable that it was working fine, then when I connected it to a device (which requires slightly bending the cable) it stopped working, likely because the wires no longer touched as they are pulling loose too easily.

Between all the various connectors I've purchased and wasted, probably could have bought a decent crimper!

So ordered the pass through Cat6 connectors, same issue. Must be the crimper, which is this one...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.ratchet-modular-plug-crimper.1000752752.html

Reason I'm thinking that is even after crimping the connector on, it doesn't take much of a pull to pull it off, so maybe it's not fully crimping the head and that's the issue. Also, it seemed with one cable that it was working fine, then when I connected it to a device (which requires slightly bending the cable) it stopped working, likely because the wires no longer touched as they are pulling loose too easily.

Between all the various connectors I've purchased and wasted, probably could have bought a decent crimper!

It has to be an issue with the crimper and the plugs you are trying to install.

I have never crimped any Cat 6 plugs but perhaps your crimper isn't designed for Cat 6 and/or it isn't designed to work with clamshell pass through connectors.

As you have discovered gettiing the wires into a jack and alsogetting the jacket into a position where the strain relief can grab and hold it is tough. That is the big advantage with clamshell connectors you can use long wires, push them through and when the cable's jacket is inserted the strain relief will hold the cable.

Here is a video showing you how to use clamshell jacks by a pro.

https://www.platinumtools.com/products/crimpers/ez-rjpro-hd-crimp-tool-100054c/

Last edited:
Given I've tried 3 different types of plugs, I'm guessing it is the crimper. Reading the reviews, seems others have noticed that there are issues with the crimp "holding" with that specific crimper so maybe I just ended up with a faulty one. HD allowed me to exchange it even though I probably bought it a year or more ago, will see if the exchanged one is any better, or just go pay a bit extra for a better one.

I'm losing my mind. Just tried again with the exchanged crimper and pass through Cat6 plugs. This time it is much more tight, but again ZERO signal coming through the tester. I'm literally at a loss at this point, it can't be this difficult to get a connector on right? I've watched countless videos and they don't seem to be doing anything different. WTH?

This cable is "solid Cat6", the connectors are for solid or stranded. Crimper seems to say based on reviews that others have terminated both Cat5 and Cat6. Frustrated to say the least.

Attachments

• 20180915_075838.jpg
    20180915_075838.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 20180915_075846.jpg
    20180915_075846.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 519
  • 20180915_075900.jpg
    20180915_075900.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 463
I'm losing my mind. Just tried again with the exchanged crimper and pass through Cat6 plugs. This time it is much more tight, but again ZERO signal coming through the tester. I'm literally at a loss at this point, it can't be this difficult to get a connector on right? I've watched countless videos and they don't seem to be doing anything different. WTH?

This cable is "solid Cat6", the connectors are for solid or stranded. Crimper seems to say based on reviews that others have terminated both Cat5 and Cat6. Frustrated to say the least.

Based on what I can see in in the photo 75838 the individual wires are not getting all the way into the plug. They should be flush with the end of the connector after they are trimmed off either with your crimper or using a sharp pair of electrician's scissors.

When I am using my Platinum crimper and the clam shell connectors that are designed to go with it I strip a couple of inches off the jacket and which means a 1 1/2" of wire stick through the connector which I trim off. If you haven't watched the video I put a link to in post #17 watch it for the technique to use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!