What's new

Bandwidth Limiter specifics

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom Van Veen

New Around Here
I know how to setup and use the Bandwidth Limiter setting, but i'm looking for some clarification on how it works in regards to IP ranges and Access Points as I cannot test it here at work atm.

For example,

If I set a range of 192.168.1.0/24 under the bandwidth limiter with a max down of 10 mb/s and 1 mb/s upload, does this limit the bandwidth for EACH address 192.168.1.1->192.168.1.254 to 10 mb/s and 1 mb/s OR does it limit the sum of the entire range to the 10 mb/s and 1 mb/s?

This distinction is important because in the first scenario each device would have 10 mb/s down and 1 mb/s up. Or in the second scenario the sum of all devices cannot exceed 10 mb/s down and 1 mb/s down.

Also i'm looking to limit an entire AP using bandwidth limiter with the AP IP 192.168.2.1, when I put the AP ip in the bandwidth limiter would this limit each address in the AP DHCP pool to 10mb/s down each? or be the sum of all devices on that AP be limited to what I set?

My scenario:
I have my router on the main floor and an AP in the basement for tenants. I am trying to limit all traffic on the AP to a set value and leave the main router unlimited. The tenant only has access to the AP. The AP is connected to a port on the router. router pool is 192.168.1.xxx, AP pool is 192.168.2.xxx

Thanks

Your device with the IP address of 192.168.2.1 is another wireless router (with its own subnet), not an access point. Just saying for clarity.

Your device with the IP address of 192.168.2.1 is another wireless router (with its own subnet), not an access point. Just saying for clarity.
True, I originally had it as an AP but turned it back into another router when I needed to put it on it's own subnet (which it is now)

Anyone know the specifics of the Bandwidth Limiter QoS setting?

True, I originally had it as an AP but turned it back into another router when I needed to put it on it's own subnet (which it is now)

Anyone know the specifics of the Bandwidth Limiter QoS setting?
Assuming that you have not disabled NAT on this second router it will have a "WAN" IP address of 192.168.1.<something>. All of the traffic from the clients connected to the second router will appear to come from this single IP address. As far as the primary router is concerned it is a single device.

AFAIK you can't limit an entire AP since it's the router and not the AP which handles everything.

It is your second scenario which is true, the sum of all devices. But Asus operates with three different notations (192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.1.* or 192.168.1.2-100) you can use. The first two should give the same result. But I've experianced that all three almost never work on the same FW, and sometimes I have to change notations between the first two when I upgrade to a new fw. So you will have to try out what notations that work on your specific fw.

You can choose to set your AP in router mode and limit that specific ip from your main router, but I think it's a better solution to limit the whole segment on router 2 (AP router) since it will share the available 10 down 1 up between those devices connected to that router...

Best of luck

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!