What's new

Bandwidth limiting?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That doesn't actually do anything, and RMerlin says (on this forum) the bandwidth limiting is not supported (and that QoS is).

That doesn't actually do anything, and RMerlin says (on this forum) the bandwidth limiting is not supported (and that QoS is).

You were probably looking at old posts that predate the addition of the bandwidth limiter, where I said that configuring the max up/down values would not limit your bandwidth, merely instruct QoS how to allocate bandwidth. Bandwidth limiter was added by Asus a few months ago, and it should be working based on user feedback.

You were probably looking at old posts that predate the addition of the bandwidth limiter, where I said that configuring the max up/down values would not limit your bandwidth, merely instruct QoS how to allocate bandwidth. Bandwidth limiter was added by Asus a few months ago, and it should be working based on user feedback.
Great. I tried to use it, but nothing would save. I guess it's time for the router reset?

Hi, by chance I tested it yesterday, and it is working fine.. in fact I was able to avoid flickering in my IPTV service by limiting the download bandwith of one of my family's client PCs, that was downloading a steam game and hooking all of the available connection bandwith. I was not able to achieve the same result with adaptative QoS though.. (things improved but not to the point of completely avoiding flickering - maybe because steam downloading is identified as 'gaming' and not 'file transfer').
By the way, I am using hggomes 380.63 merlin based fw

Something that would be helpful would be a bandwidth limiter for the guest network. Not guest by guest, rather an upload and download 'not to exceed' for the entire guest 'vlan' traffic combined. I don't know if that's possible, but would be helpful when having larger groups of company over.

Just to confirm, if nothing I put in the bandwidth limiter will save, I need to do a reset, correct?
And there's a program that will export/import my settings correct, correct?

Something that would be helpful would be a bandwidth limiter for the guest network. Not guest by guest, rather an upload and download 'not to exceed' for the entire guest 'vlan' traffic combined. I don't know if that's possible, but would be helpful when having larger groups of company over.
Bandwidth control for guest networks would be very welcome, however you can work around the limitation somewhat as follows..

I have all our "in-house" devices assigned a fixed IP in a range of 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.127
The router's DHCP server hands out addresses to new devices in the range 192.168.2.130 - 192.168.2.254

These automatically (by DHCP) assigned IP addresses are limited in bandwidth by QOS Bandwidth Limiter with the rule 192.1682.130/25

So all devices that get their IP from the DHCP server are limited by the QOS rule.

I've been using the bandwidth limiter for some time and it seems to work fine, but if I try to add any rules with my ipad (even firefox and chrome), all rules will be lost. If I use firefox or chrome on my laptop, rules can be added. The reason I say it seems to work fine is because I have a lot of issues with online gaming disconnects and don't know the reason.

Bandwidth control for guest networks would be very welcome, however you can work around the limitation somewhat as follows..

I have all our "in-house" devices assigned a fixed IP in a range of 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.127
The router's DHCP server hands out addresses to new devices in the range 192.168.2.130 - 192.168.2.254

These automatically (by DHCP) assigned IP addresses are limited in bandwidth by QOS Bandwidth Limiter with the rule 192.1682.130/25

So all devices that get their IP from the DHCP server are limited by the QOS rule.

Hi, thank you. I understand what you mean by assigning addresses to all clients by DHCP. Today I only assign fixed IPs to server/iot devices in the lower range, but I can easily do the same for PCs, tablets and phones too. What I don't know how to do is assign the rule 192.168.x.130/25... where or how do I do that and assign an upper bandwidth limit?

Thanks
Paul

What I don't know how to do is assign the rule 192.168.x.130/25... where or how do I do that and assign an upper bandwidth limit?
I set on "LAN > DHCP Server" tab "IP Pool Starting Address" to 192.168.x.128 and "IP Pool Ending Address" to 192.168.x.254 (All daily devices have a manual assigned IP address in the range below 192.168.x.128)

Then on the "Adaptive QoS > QoS" tab set "QoS Type" to Bandwidth Limiter" and at "Client List > Target" enter the rule 192.168.x.130/25 (see attached image).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 6.19.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 6.19.42 PM.png
    440.2 KB · Views: 989
Last edited:
I set on "LAN > DHCP Server" tab "IP Pool Starting Address" to 192.168.x.128 and "IP Pool Ending Address" to 192.168.x.254 (All daily devices have a manual assigned IP address in the range below 192.168.x.128)

Then on the "Adaptive QoS > QoS" tab set "QoS Type" to Bandwidth Limiter" and at "Client List > Target" enter the rule 192.168.x.130/25 (see attached image).

Assume 192.168.x.130/25 should actually be 192.168.x.128/25.

Ok so I get what you doing Devices I have set to manual IP out side the DCHP is not the devices I want limited it everything in DCHP range limit 192.xxx.xxx.9 to 192.xxx.xxx.x50

I have tired
192.xxx.xxx.xx9~192.xxx.xxx.x50
192.xxx.xxx.xx9/192.xxx.xxx.x50
192.xxx.xxx.xx9/50

None of that limited the DCHP range an nothing else I tried has. Do it your way is just as much work as manual input each client in limiter

Last edited:
Which Queue Discipline do people recommend ? sfq/codel/fq_codel ? I have added 4 devices that I wish to not hog all the juice :)

Which Queue Discipline do people recommend ? sfq/codel/fq_codel ? I have added 4 devices that I wish to not hog all the juice :)

fq_codel

It's a combination of Fair Queueing and a de-bufferbloating AQM. Codel is only an AQM and SFQ is only Fair Queueing.

That worked great! was able to test, works as listed. Thank you!

I do have one more question. For the WAN packet over head. I have a cable modem Docsis 3. Do you know what setting to use or if it matters? I'm guessing it helps with the calculation a little but not a substantial factor.

Again, thanks for your reply!!

Paul

Ok so I get what you doing Devices I have set to manual IP out side the DCHP is not the devices I want limited it everything in DCHP range limit 192.xxx.xxx.9 to 192.xxx.xxx.x50

I have tired
192.xxx.xxx.xx9~192.xxx.xxx.x50
192.xxx.xxx.xx9/192.xxx.xxx.x50
192.xxx.xxx.xx9/50

None of that limited the DCHP range an nothing else I tried has. Do it your way is just as much work as manual input each client in limiter

192.168.x.16/28
192.168.x.32/28

The above two entries would cover IP range 192.168.x.16-192.168.x.47 inclusive.