What's new

Beginner question sorry need help vpn Asus router and devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TriggerOFAH

Occasional Visitor
Should of posted here maybe sorry

Hello new here need some help

So recently bought the Asus rt ac86u router and I have express VPN.. now I have a server added in Asus router settings .. but everything all devices has it runnin on tha server when I check IP

So my question is how do I set up my router to only use the Vpn on certain devices not all .. for instance playstation .. Nvidia shield and not my personal phone ? And also how would I be able to use the WiFi seperately from the VPN on the router an use my ISP connection or isn't that possible ? Stupid questions maybe

Is it safe ? Is it from a company or is it just a person who's made it ?

Merlin has his own following here on SNB. Check it out.

The custom firmware opens the router to whole new world of possibilities and improvements. The official website is here;

Merlin and Asus has a unique working relationship that has allowed this firmware to do marvelous things for supported models.

I would spend a little bit of time looking through this wiki;

after that, the downloads are available from the download page at Merlin's web site listed above.

Sorry just some maybe stupid questions but can someone answer please

*INFO* I have virgin hub in modem mode and Asus router RT ac86u connected

1. If I download Merlin can I for example have my Vpn server runnin on my Asus for my Nvidia shield and have my mobile usin the basic WiFi not connected to the Vpn
2. Is this possible or understanding? Basically I want to use a Vpn server for my Nvidia shield through the router .. but I also wanna use my mobile for example usin my routers WiFi but not through the Vpn server

Sorry if the questions are stupid .. thanks

Good info mate but not sure if it's hard or not .. i see this bit

Once you enable Policy Rules, a new section will appear below, where you can add routing rules. The "Source IP" is your local client (computer, mobile, etc...), while "Destination" is the remote server on the Internet. The field can be left empty (or set to 0.0.0.0) to signify "any IP". You can also specify a whole subnet, in CIDR notation (for example, 74.125.226.112/30)

But how do I get that source ie mobile to connect through the connection without goin through the Vpn

Or is there any simpler steps for me to follow ? I just want connection on some devices with the Vpn and not the Vpn.. maybe just buyin a cheap 2nd router maybe easier ?

Don't try to comprehend everything in one gulp. Take things step-by-step. :)
  1. Download the RMerlin firmware for your router here.
  2. Complete the M&M Config guide as outlined here.
  3. From the link in Step#2, complete the amtm Step-by-Step guide. Keep in mind that you will not need to 'install' amtm, it is already included in RMerlin firmware since version 384.15_0.
  4. Become familiar with the scripts you can install via amtm via the link below.
    1. amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu - Diversion
  5. If you still need help at this point, ask specific questions in the appropriate thread (or, create your own).
  6. See the link below why you want RMerlin firmware installed.
    1. Features | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)
This is not beyond your reach. Do each step and ask for help as needed once you're there. Right now, you're at the bottom of the valley and looking up at the stars. :)

Did you see post #14?

Did you unzip the firmware you downloaded? Which one did you download, specifically?

Did you verify the firmware hash with HashTab or equivalent?

Do you have a link below the 'Check for update' section with an 'upload' link?

Too much this no idea how to get what I want .. at the top client 1 2 3 4 5 no idea what this is can't even see now where it says turn on or off vpn.. the info is good but the steps are not clear .. thanks anyway