What's new

Best $200+ dollar router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lets take a step back for a moment... As enthusiastic as we might be about discrete components, we have to respect your budget and that you may not feel completely comfortable with jumping into setting up Ubiquiti gear, or similar (although it's not that hard, but I digress...).

That being said, you might be able to split the difference here by starting off with something like an RT-AC86U with the latest Merlin firmware, which has fq_codel added as a queuing discipline in QoS. Turn that on, and you would have close to identical bufferbloat-fighting capability that you would have with an ER-X, while also having wifi, all in a single, familiar interface. If the wifi and/or packet handling is still not where it needs to be, you'll at least know you gave it a shot with arguably one of the strongest options, and *then* you can look to discrete components with confidence in knowing that's where you need to be. Additionally, the 86U purchase wouldn't be a complete loss, as you could either return it or re-purpose it as just an access point, then expand our your network from there.

So, in my opinion, that is your best course of action, given your budget, skill level and goals.

What do you enable after fq_codel? Cable (docsis) or Ethernet vlan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the synology is a great router but have they (synology) done anything to combat bufferbloat?

Bufferbloat: well here's Merlin discussing it

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/bufferbloat-and-qos-asus-ac66-merlin.33389/page-2

Or get a router that supports OpenWRT?

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

Or, a roll your own router, here's one of a huge number of possible solutions:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/

Then use PFSense, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/9is8cb/new_definitive_guide_to_bufferbloat_shaping_in_244/

Edit: Monowall has been discontinued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

NOT a big fan of DD-WRT....just sayin.

Last edited:
You can also get fq_codel by using a router that supports my firmware.

You can also get fq_codel by using a router that supports my firmware.

Yeah thats one option I am strongly considering, the Asus RT-AC86U & dloading asuswrt-merlin. If I go this route is it just a matter of enabling fq_codel or is there any more setup that needs to take place? Someone said that Ubiquiti will soon be releasing new models
with better processors so I may hold off on ubiquiti for a slightly more powerful option than the edge router ER-X.

Is anyone familiar with the Netgear R7800's dynamic QOS? Would it be a better option than the Asus RT-AC86U+merlin? (I looked into the WTFast built into the Asus router & its a joke but still not sure about its lan/game boost mode feature)

On a side note, is it true if I upgrade my modem to a docsis 3.1 that it can also reduce latency with AQM etc?
(I recieved my new 8x4 channel Arris tm822g yesterday & even though it will support my 100mbps / actual 130mbps speed Im seriously considering getting an Arris SB8200 docsis 3.1 today & use a splitter so that the docsis 3.0 only does phone & the docsis 3.1 does internet only)

btw You guys have given me a ton of stuff to read & some good links, Thanks for the knowledge & keep the suggestions coming

Last edited:
What do you enable after fq_codel? Cable (docsis) or Ethernet vlan?

Cable if I have a cable modem I guess?Ethernet vlan if what? Can somebody tell me what setting I should use if I enable fq_codel. Thank you so much

Yeah thats one option I am strongly considering, the Asus RT-AC86U & dloading asuswrt-merlin. If I go this route is it just a matter of enabling fq_codel or is there any more setup that needs to take place?

Enable QoS (either Traditional or Adaptive, both are supported), and select fq_codel as the scheduler.

Make sure to set proper upload/download limits (typically 85-90% of your max throughput).

Somewhat of an Off topic question here but im curious If I have 2 modems connected with a splitter & one provisioned for phone and one for internet will mediacom be able to update the firmware on them?
If so how will they push the required firmware to the correct modem?
Also I wonder if they will even be able to update firmware on the tm822g since it wont be provisioned for internet just phone?

Yes, they will. The reason is the modem makers typically embed a proprietary telnet or SSH-like remote connection protocol that functions at layer 2 and connects via MAC ID, as opposed to typical layer 3 telnet/ssh which requires an IP. So even with a splitter, they can still reach all of their devices that are connected to the main cable drop. Consequently, you have nothing to worry about, and all your cable company devices should be able to get firmware updates and be visible/supportable by their techs.

The only thing steering me away from the synology is the fact that its been out for a while

I used to have the rt2600ac and i recommend the product itself and support, however i don’t recommend the wireless performance with IOS devices...

I’ve even paid to get an rma unit just to confirm i didn’t have a broken unit, and it wasn’t. The new firmware broke wan mac cloning and previous firmwares had big issues with wan cloning enabled, flaky wireless.

Just to give you an example, switching between 2.4 and 5 on my 2017 ipad would about 20% of time generate an invalid password, then 30 seconds later it would work fine after re-trying.

Overall even with mac cloning off there was still some intermittent wifi issues, and range was not as good as my rt-ac1900p, and now i’m testing the blue cave which is even better as far as wireless goes.

Synology had excellent vpn support, l2tp as well as many other options but I needed a stable IOS router.

Do more research before going that way ...

I have the Synology RT2600AC router and I'm not experiencing any of the wireless issues you're mentioning. As a matter of fact, this router completely blows my previous Asus RT1900P out of the water in terms of wireless stability, performance, speed and range. And yes I'm using SRM v1.2 w/ Threat Prevention package installed.

I'm consistently getting around 108-114 mbps down speed on 5GHz on my 100/10 package. Same as wired too. That's with 3 iPhones, 3 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, 1 gaming console and 2 Smart TVs.

I have the Synology RT2600AC router and I'm not experiencing any of the wireless issues you're mentioning. As a matter of fact, this router completely blows my previous Asus RT1900P out of the water in terms of wireless stability, performance, speed and range. And yes I'm using SRM v1.2 w/ Threat Prevention package installed.

I'm consistently getting around 108-114 mbps down speed on 5GHz on my 100/10 package. Same as wired too. That's with 3 iPhones, 3 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, 1 gaming console and 2 Smart TVs.

Try cloning your wan mac id, and set it to something random, then from your IOS device using 2.4 ghz at about a signal of -65db (from 30 feet ..?) try using the official google youtube app by watching some videos. I've tried 2 different rt2600ac so it was not isolated to just mine,- you should see issues with thumbnails not loading once in a while when selecting a new video to play. This can also be replicated in Safari but it's easier to do in youtube app.

If you cannot clone your wan mac you can try without (although that's basic functionality) because in firmware 1.2 it's probably still broken :)

Another test, setup both 2.4 and 5 ghz on your IOS device, then from settings and from about the same distance from the router, try moving between 2.4 and 5 ghz repeatedly (10-20 times) and you should see an incorrect password. This should never happen on a wireless network unless there's some sort of packet corruption happening.

I'm not saying mine didn't work, it's just that the 1900P was overall more consistent from a distance, and now my Blue Cave is even better than the 1900p for both 2.4 and 5 ghz.

I wanted to keep the router, I even received a new unit from RMA dept. and had both for a week and sent one back (paid for shipping, etc.) but it just didn't work out in the end.

Bufferbloat: well here's Merlin discussing it

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/bufferbloat-and-qos-asus-ac66-merlin.33389/page-2

Or get a router that supports OpenWRT?

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

Or, a roll your own router, here's one of a huge number of possible solutions:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/

Then use PFSense, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/9is8cb/new_definitive_guide_to_bufferbloat_shaping_in_244/

Edit: Monowall has been discontinued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

NOT a big fan of DD-WRT....just sayin.

How about Sophos Home firewall products ?

They seem recommended by a lot of people, you can run on your own hardware or get an appliance and load the home edition on it for free ...

Went ahead and got the Asus RT-AC86u and Arris sb8200 & Arris tm822g for phone. Will be installing Merlin soon & will open a new thread if I have any questions. Thanks again!

And I have purchased an Asus Blue Cave as well as a used Sophos XG 115 rev2.

I'll be moving the Cave upstairs where it will be used as an access point only,
and when I get the Sophos I'll probably load UTM 9 Home on it and use as my main router.

I managed to find the XG 115 for about $130 USD shipped :)

^^^ I'll bite, where did you find an XG115 for $130 USD shipped? I assume you will use the home version of UTM or XG?

Yes probably the home version of UTM (as the GUI will be more responsive),
and I found it on ebay.com, used of course :)

Just an update, I got my XG115,... it had an expired license (of course) but was originally purchased
in September 2017 for about 750 USD as the invoice was included, so for $130 USD I think not bad? :)

Anyways, I was playing around with it, you can load XG or UTM software on it, both Hardware and Software ISO's,
and basically they all work, except XG H/W needs a commercial license, and XG S/W can work on a home license.

Overall the UTM version is much better (I think) because it's faster GUI and the interface is easier to learn / understand.
I can install both H/W or S/W versions and both work with the home license (H/W needs to have a file edited to work).

I am using mine with UTM 9.6 H/W ISO, and with Firewall, IPS, Web Filtering, Antivirus and Antispyware on, I get about 85 mbit/sec.

Sophos UTM for anyone interested looks like this:
https://utm.trysophos.com/

Last edited:
I used to have the rt2600ac and i recommend the product itself and support, however i don’t recommend the wireless performance with IOS devices...

I’ve even paid to get an rma unit just to confirm i didn’t have a broken unit, and it wasn’t. The new firmware broke wan mac cloning and previous firmwares had big issues with wan cloning enabled, flaky wireless.

Just to give you an example, switching between 2.4 and 5 on my 2017 ipad would about 20% of time generate an invalid password, then 30 seconds later it would work fine after re-trying.

Overall even with mac cloning off there was still some intermittent wifi issues, and range was not as good as my rt-ac1900p, and now i’m testing the blue cave which is even better as far as wireless goes.

Synology had excellent vpn support, l2tp as well as many other options but I needed a stable IOS router.

Do more research before going that way ...

How is your blue cave working as an access point? I have been using a second cheap asus router as an access point and it is terrible as far as roaming goes, the only time I can get my phone to switch to a different router is when I walk out to the car,
far away from both of the routers, useless!

Im think about buying an RT-AC68U instead and using it as an AImesh node along with my RT-AC86U. Anyone using this setup? please share your experience?

I agree with @Trip and very good recommendations, EdgeRouter X + Two TP-Link EAP225 v3

Router: EdgeRouter X
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFJT29C/?tag=snbforums-20

AP: 2 TP-Link EAP225 v3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781YXFBT/?tag=snbforums-20

Video about the Router:

Video about the AP:

The TP-Link EAP225 v3 is at the top of the HTTP throughput chart...

...and the 2.4 GHz latency chart...

...and 5 GHz latency chart.
Sorry to highjack, but is this still a recommended buy? Seems quite good to me! Does the AP support deicated 5Ghz-band, or is it handled automatically? Also, can I have 3 AP's or will 2 do good enough for a 100m2 flat?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!