What's new

Best ax router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The experience of others with different requirements and in different regions doesn't matter. There is no future proofing with home routers and getting something you don't need today is the best way to waste money. Since you have landed in mostly Asus users territory the most high-end router from Asus is GT-AXE16000 "spider" model. This is "the best" Asus can offer at the moment. Popular choice cheaper model is GT-AX6000 "face hugger" model. Both are "gaming" models with RGB lights for your visual entertainment. If you prefer something with more traditional router looks - popular choice is RT-AX86U with newer upgraded hardware RT-AX86U Pro as an option. If the budget is limited - RT-AX86S is a cheaper model you can go with.

If you still have your RT-AX86U - it's good enough. Don't expect any substantial Wi-Fi performance improvements from more expensive models.

The experience of others with different requirements and in different regions doesn't matter. There is no future proofing with home routers and getting something you don't need today is the best way to waste money. Since you have landed in mostly Asus users territory the most high-end router from Asus is GT-AXE16000 "spider" model. This is "the best" Asus can offer at the moment. Popular choice cheaper model is GT-AX6000 "face hugger" model. Both are "gaming" models with RGB lights for your visual entertainment. If you prefer something with more traditional router looks - popular choice is RT-AX86U with newer upgraded hardware RT-AX86U Pro as an option. If the budget is limited - RT-AX86S is a cheaper model you can go with.

If you still have your RT-AX86U - it's good enough. Don't expect any substantial Wi-Fi performance improvements from more expensive models.
Thanks for the answer, in terms of hardware and performance what is the difference between ax86u pro and gt ax6000? What would you buy?

What would you buy?

Both are based on the same hardware, but GT-AX6000 has 2x 2.5GbE ports (1x for RT-AX86U Pro) and 4x4 2.4GHz radio (3x3 for RT-AX86U Pro). The extra 2.5GbE port makes GT-AX6000 more useable in case you want 2.5GbE internal network or faster Ethernet link to another GT-AX6000 as AiMesh node. I would not buy GT-AX6000 though just because it's super ugly with 1/3kg of non-functional plastic on it and childish RGB. If I wanted fast 2.5GbE network and multiple APs I would not buy home routers but go with better quality hardware and software business class equipment instead.

BCM6710 doesn't seem to have its own internal A7 core either and looks to run off the main CPU.

I noticed this when spam testing GT-AX6000, AX86S, GT-AC2900 side by side... AX86S/U 2.4G will saturate the main CPU more than the other two routers.

Both are based on the same hardware, but GT-AX6000 has 2x 2.5GbE ports (1x for RT-AX86U Pro) and 4x4 2.4GHz radio (3x3 for RT-AX86U Pro). The extra 2.5GbE port makes GT-AX6000 more useable in case you want 2.5GbE internal network or faster Ethernet link to another GT-AX6000 as AiMesh node. I would not buy GT-AX6000 though just because it's super ugly with 1/3kg of non-functional plastic on it and childish RGB. If I wanted fast 2.5GbE network and multiple APs I would not buy home routers but go with better quality hardware and software business class equipment instead.
In terms of performance, they should be the same? And also a period of software updates?

BCM6710 doesn't seem to have its own internal A7 core either

It doesn't matter. It's good enough for what 2.4GHz band is used for - mostly older slow devices and IoTs.

In terms of performance, they should be the same? And also a period of software updates?

They have the same CPU, RAM and 5GHz radio. How they will perform in your environment only you can tell, but again - don't expect any miracles compared to current AX86U you already have. The firmware support of RT-AX86U Pro and GT-AX6000 is expected to be the same.

It doesn't matter. It's good enough for what 2.4GHz band is used for - mostly older slow devices and IoTs.

They have the same CPU, RAM and 5GHz radio. How they will perform in your environment only you can tell, but again - don't expect any miracles compared to current AX86U you already have. The firmware support of RT-AX86U Pro and GT-AX6000 is expected to be the same.
In my country, in any case, they don't sell the pro model, so I don't think it's worth buying from another country

I can't test all the models, that's why I asked from the experience of others

I've had two separate GT-AX6000's and both performed rather poorly in my home for general range purposes vs 2.5 year old GT-AC2900. I don't know if this is the answer you want to hear or you, but there you go.

Router is great on paper (top end Gen 2 BCM hardware), but a $150 USD AX86S completely decimates it for me subjectively.

Others here find the range of GT-AX6000 to be better than their older AX routers. No one will be able to answer this, especially if your country has different limitations on power output.

they don't sell the pro model

I know that because we discuss this "best router" question 4 times already. This conversation is going in circles. The router models above may not improve anything for you if your ISP speed is up to 500Mbps and your main high bandwidth clients (PCs and laptops) are AC clients or wired. If you want to upgrade because of few new AX phones and tablets or future proofing ideas* - you're wasting your time and money.

* - you own a dollar to @Smokey613 in this case. ;)

I've had two separate GT-AX6000's and both performed rather poorly in my home for general range purposes vs 2.5 year old GT-AC2900. I don't know if this is the answer you want to hear or you, but there you go.

Router is great on paper (top end Gen 2 BCM hardware), but a $150 USD AX86S completely decimates it for me subjectively.

Others here find the range of GT-AX6000 to be better than their older AX routers. No one will be able to answer this, especially if your country has different limitations on power output.
Is there a difference in the strength of the frequencies for each country? Is this something that can be changed?

Is there a difference in the strength of the frequencies for each country? Is this something that can be changed?

Yes and yes, but not legally.

Region specific hardware may have weaker or alternative FEM design too.. meaning, it may be a lot easier to break a router if illegally modding to gain higher power.

Last edited:
The best ax router you can buy today?
I dont think you gave enough info about your environment to answer the question?

I think a lot of people look for a new wireless router or router to solve for example when they upgrade their internet service..some look to solve some specific range issue in their environment.

I do think ones needs to experiment and try several based on their requirements..but yeah one has to start somewhere..cant try everything.

I didn't mean to be a dick in my response, but he somewhat views routers and specific models as some kind of absolute solution, which inevitability got push back. This is his 3rd-4th thread on the same kind of topic.

"Best" is obviously relevant to needs.

• AXE16000 could be considered the "best" available router for purchase since it's a new Quad band router with the latest Broadcom gen 2 AX 4x4 hardware, 2GB of RAM and 2x 10G support.
  • ASUS AX89X or NETGEAR RAX120 could be considered the best consumer oriented router for MIMO config since they're both models that support 8x8 5G broadcasting and theoretically do better in more environments as the client will generally grab onto signal easier. (Older Qualcomm harder)
  • Mesh setups (Wireless backhaul or wired backhaul) might be better for his connection speed requirements. Client connecting MIMO config becomes less relevant.

Etc etc.. Can make an argument for everything really. Nothing is static, just consistency of hardware spec. Lower tier to higher tier..

Pretty much why I mentioned the 3x3 2.4G radio in AX86 models potentially lacking its own A7 core. Might not matter for some people, but its not the "best" possible 2.4G solution on Broadcom hardware end, let alone MIMO config.

Not sure what the OP really "wants" other than consumer oriented bias for popular models.

Last edited:
As JSZ reports:
  • AXE16000 could be considered the "best" available router for purchase since it's a new Quad band router with the latest Broadcom gen 2 AX 4x4 hardware, 2GB of RAM and 2x 10G support.
I own one and its fantastic. Super fast, great signal and the extra 5 ghz channel comes in handy. I would get this one if I were you.

CC

The one that performs the best in your environment.
Exactly right....if you ask me, the best AX router is the GT-AX11000 (OG version). Best Asus router I own.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!