What's new

"Best" new router that supports Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The best router that supports @RMerlin right now is the one generating more heat and has "Show shoveling" option in firmware set on Auto.
I'm trying to run as many CPU intensive scripts as I can to get that CPU cooking at 99%-100%, with the wife and kids sitting around the router to stay warm... their eyes twinkling on this Christmas-Eve-Eve to the dancing lights of the Aura RGB.

Waiting for your next script - RTRHTR v1.0

RTRHTR v1.0
Released: December 23, 2022

Introducing RTRHTR v1.0 -- An Asus-Merlin Script that is designed to push your routers' CPU to the limits using several undocumented overclocking techniques to double or even triple your CPU BTU output, in order to create as much heat as possible so you and your family may stay warm during these awful cold snaps.
1671857108931.png

Disclaimer: This script will burn your router to the ground, but that's the point, right? ;)

Sorry, my Rogers modem cut off in the middle of the sentence. Reboot fixed it, some glitch.

View attachment 46606

@Tech9 Yeah I am pretty certain that it wasn't my code at fault on that one. I would complain to Rogers... Not me!

RTRHTR v1.1
Released: December 24, 2022

Introducing RTRHTR v1.1 -- New code being introduced that will now reach out across your network for any other router brands or networking devices once your primary router has burned out, and no longer responds to pings. Still have an old Linksys or perhaps some AiMesh routers just sitting there doing nothing? RTRHTR will find them and turn them into festive yule logs so you can enjoy a nice warm home this winter!

1671862095976.png

What about VPN connections? I have lighting up the Christmas Tree around the world ideas. I have NordVPN account - 5430 servers they say. :cool:

In case anyone is interested, you probably won't find a better deal anytime soon... But the GT-AX6000 just went on sale for $299 on Amazon:
I've had reasonable luck with buying "used" from Amazon with hefty discounts. You could save another $30. On the AX88U just at the moment you can save another $65. The AX88U I got for $200 came in its original shrink wrap with a dent in one corner of the box. Sold by Amazon, shipped from Amazon Warehouse, I think these are just returns, but a few years ago I got an AC56 for $50 that was in brown packaging, so that was a refurb.

So, I got a GT-AX6000 on sale at Amazon and got it up and running in a short time. Updated to the Merlin non ROG firmware 388.1 and then verified that all my setting were the same as my RT-AX6000. Since the RT-AX6000 was now going to be the node, I reset to factory default and went in and switched on backhaul in the GT-AX6000 and connected the two routers up and let the two routers become a happy pair. Relocated the node and plugged it back in its new location. Let mesh run for a couple of days and then powered both down for a restart. Let them sit unplugged for 15 minutes and then powered up node and then after it was up powered up master. All`s well and nice to have a node router that can easily be connected outside with the 5ghz band. Both routers running same Merlin 388.1 firmware with no issues.

Quick side question, related to my NVRAM question: is there a script or something that I can add that will monitor my clients list for clients that haven't connected in X amount of time, and if so, save it's info (MAC + name and chosen icon) to a file, remove it from NVRAM, and if the MAC is ever seen again, add it back from the backup file?

This way I'd never have to micromanage that portion of NVRAM; it would keep my clients list lean and mean, and if an old client ever crops back up I would immediately know what it is again since I had it's name saved.
I didn't see anyone answer this. You can have unlimited static DHCP assignments by putting them in the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file. One line for each client.

Code:
dhcp-host=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE,[Client name],192.168.1.2,12h

This, of course, does not change the icon given to clients in the connection list, but it does take care of the client names known to the router and their IP addresses.

I wish I had a dollar every time someone post about buying a particular model or feature to “future proof” their investment.

There is no such thing as a “Future Proof” puchase, especially technology. :) :)
Maybe so but hopefully you can get something that'll run reliably at decent speeds for at least a few years without losing security updates support. That was my goal when I bought my AX86U.

I didn't see anyone answer this. You can have unlimited static DHCP assignments by putting them in the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file. One line for each client.

Code:
dhcp-host=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE,[Client name],192.168.1.2,12h

This, of course, does not change the icon given to clients in the connection list, but it does take care of the client names known to the router and their IP addresses.
This is awesome! Does it work on the RT-AC68U to preserve NVRAM?
also, do I have do this: service restart_dnsmasq
?

Last edited:
Does is show those assignments in the GUI list along with the others?
I just tried on my RT-AC68U. The IP and hostname assignment was made for the device, and the device shows in the Client List (as expected), but the client doesn't show in the LAN/DHCP Server list. Makes sense that if doesn't show there. I plan to just manage the list in a Google Sheet with a simple formula to build the conf file line, then I can just cut and paste the lines into the conf file.

=CONCATENATE("dhcp-host=",A2,",",B2,",",C2)

Also, you can see your active leases at: cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases
(I think this is the correct path)

In the Network Map/Client List, the devices defined in the DHCP conf file show with their defined name, but it took a minute before the host name showed up. Not all the devices in the client list are showing their defined host names, but maybe they have to renew their lease.

Finally, I'm not sure the ",12h" is needed at the end of the line above. I think you only use that if you don't want to use the default lease time.

Update: I installed YazDHCP from amtm (after installing entware) and woohoo, the GUI DCHP can now take up to >200 entries. Perfect for me. Also, I can still manage the list on a sheet and perform a mass update if I have to.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!