What's new

Best option for CenturyLink Gigabit fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm glad I found this before I dropped $ on an ERL-3. I also tried some of the options noted in the blog article in post #2 and I usually returned the hardware because it dropped packets (and got pretty hot).
I've got to admit, I am supremely bummed about the ERL issue with PPoE and there is a lot of chatter in the Ubiquiti forums about that issue. Can I ask for more info regarding the Cavium bug with PPoE? I know a few folks who would love to learn more about it.
Also curious if you considered using the Ubiquiti USG-3 device.

The Orbi and Qotom info is awesome...I need to get busy researching. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm glad I found this before I dropped $ on an ERL-3. I also tried some of the options noted in the blog article in post #2 and I usually returned the hardware because it dropped packets (and got pretty hot).
I've got to admit, I am supremely bummed about the ERL issue with PPoE and there is a lot of chatter in the Ubiquiti forums about that issue. Can I ask for more info regarding the Cavium bug with PPoE? I know a few folks who would love to learn more about it.
Also curious if you considered using the Ubiquiti USG-3 device.

The Orbi and Qotom info is awesome...I need to get busy researching. Thanks!
There is information in the UBNT Forums about the Cavium bug.

I have not looked in several months, but if I remember correctly what it does is process bits out of order. Since PPPoE is a single threaded process, it doesn't work and then re transmits, thus slowing the connection down and causing a lot of errors under load.

My Qotom box and pfsense have been excellent so I wrote the last reply and everyone has been pleased.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I signed up just to respond. I’ve got the CenturyLink gigabit service, and am using an EdgeRouter X SFP with great success. I’m guessing the firmware bugs mentioned for the ERL were resolved, as I’m able to basically saturate the connection, as seen here: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7409552446

This is a straightforward setup. ONT -> ERX -> Eero WiFi.

I have 37 connected WiFi devices, two gaming PCs, four consoles, and such. Everything runs very well. Happy to answer any questions folks may have.

Edit: The Speedtest was run on a PC directly connected to the ERX. That’s not a WiFi result.

I signed up just to respond. I’ve got the CenturyLink gigabit service, and am using an EdgeRouter X SFP with great success. I’m guessing the firmware bugs mentioned for the ERL were resolved, as I’m able to basically saturate the connection, as seen here: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7409552446

I have 37 connected WiFi devices, two gaming PCs, four consoles, and such. Everything runs very well. Happy to answer any questions folks may have.

Edit: The Speedtest was run on a PC directly connected to the ERX. That’s not a WiFi result.

Question, as you didn't mention. I assume you are also stuck using PPPOE for connectivity and its working well with the ERX-SFP? Has anyone else had much luck? I was given the C3000z, and it seems to be better than what most are saying about the other zyxel CL routers, but I'd prefer going my own way. I wouldn't worry about going the ESXi/pfsense route, as I certainly have those skills, but I also don't feel like sinking the time as my dayjob already has me doing similar and I'd prefer something a bit more plug and play with power like I assume the ERX-SFP wouuld provide.

Question, as you didn't mention. I assume you are also stuck using PPPOE for connectivity and its working well with the ERX-SFP? Has anyone else had much luck? I was given the C3000z, and it seems to be better than what most are saying about the other zyxel CL routers, but I'd prefer going my own way. I wouldn't worry about going the ESXi/pfsense route, as I certainly have those skills, but I also don't feel like sinking the time as my dayjob already has me doing similar and I'd prefer something a bit more plug and play with power like I assume the ERX-SFP wouuld provide.

I am using PPPoE, yes, but it hasn't been a problem aside from having to reconfigure to using it when I ditched the "Prism" TV service. If you have Prism TV you generally don't need PPPoE, as it uses DHCP. I had to reconfigure my ERX-SFP to use PPPoE after, but even then, it wasn't too difficult.

Just make sure you've turned on hardware offload where possible and it should perform well. I've been tempted by the newer EdgeRouter boxes, but I'm able to saturate my 1Gb connection, so it doesn't seem needed.

I am using PPPoE, yes, but it hasn't been a problem aside from having to reconfigure to using it when I ditched the "Prism" TV service. If you have Prism TV you generally don't need PPPoE, as it uses DHCP. I had to reconfigure my ERX-SFP to use PPPoE after, but even then, it wasn't too difficult.

Just make sure you've turned on hardware offload where possible and it should perform well. I've been tempted by the newer EdgeRouter boxes, but I'm able to saturate my 1Gb connection, so it doesn't seem needed.

Thanks for the quick reply! Interesting. I just got CL fiber for our new house, and am definitely interested in ditching the c3000z that they provided. If you were to buy net new today, have any thoughts?

I'm thinking of the ER4 but I'm also debating whether thats complete overkill vs the ERX.

However, I plugged in my ASUS AC87U after getting my PPPOE creds and setting the vlan 201 in the IPTV custom ISP settings for internet, and I'm easily able to saturate the 1gbps during testing, both speed tests, and running multiple large downloads across the network.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I have CenturyLink fiber gigabit with PPoE/VLAN needed.

Is it still recommended to do the ERX SFP? Right now my setup is reasonably simple. The RT-AC68U is doing the routing (with PPoE/VLAN setup), - connected to multiple gigabit switches around the house, and my Orbis are doing the WiFi as APs.

So ONT->RT-AC68U->switches->Orbis

Thanks, all.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded to an EdgeRouter 4, but the ERX SFP was working fine. I wanted more headroom for the future. Anecdotally, it does seem like there’s a little less latency on my network when I’m pushing it hard (say, downloading from Usenet while two machines stream 4K over Plex).

I recently upgraded to an EdgeRouter 4, but the ERX SFP was working fine. I wanted more headroom for the future. Anecdotally, it does seem like there’s a little less latency on my network when I’m pushing it hard (say, downloading from Usenet while two machines stream 4K over Plex).

So would you say I'd be fine with the ERX SFP? When you say headroom for the future, what do you mean exactly?

And is there a point for me to get the ERX-SFP over the regular ERX? I don't think I need the SFP or POE capability, but I don't know if there are other differences.

*EDIT*

Yep, just looks like those two things. Going to order an ERX! Free same-day delivery with Amazon didn't hurt either. :D

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey all! Got the ERX set up and it's working GREAT, except for ONE thing. I can't figure out how to port forward successfully to make e.g. Plex Media Server work over port 32400. I have it set up correctly, I'm pretty sure, in the Port Forwarding options, and I even turned on uPNP. Still struggling..

I read that PPoE can be tricky with port forwarding. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this work?

*EDIT*

Got it working. This router is fantastic. Really loving it.

WAN: PPPoE
Ethernet: Switch0
PATIENCE after enabling remote access. It will say Plex can't be reached, but it actually can - and after 5-10 mins will say it can. You can tell prior to this because my phone could connect over LTE without any trouble.

I also turned on UPNP for PPPoE.

Getting over 900Mbit upload and download, too. Yay! CPU usage when uploading at 82MB/s (yes, MB), was 1% with hardware offload enabled.

Last edited:
So: is there a way to make traffic monitoring work with hardware offload? If not, is there another Ubiquiti model that this works on?

So far the ERX has been flawless, but the traffic monitoring would be nice if it’s possible.

So I couldn't resist upgrading to the ER-4. Duplex gigabit is fun, if not essential.

I'm happy that I can have hardware offloading + Traffic Monitoring. That's something the ERX can't do, so there's one reason to upgrade!

I did have some initial difficulty. I tend to like the 192.168.0.x layout, and it wouldn't save that. It comes by default as 192.168.1.x. I've no idea how I got it to actually save it how I wanted, but it did eventually take. Took me around 2 hours, which is really nuts. I'd set the DHCP Server to 192.168.0.1 and it would SAY that after reboot it would be that, but after reboot it was still 192.168.1.1. I'm honestly clueless as to how I got it to eventually "stick" that setting...

Anyway, speeds are just a tad higher than the ERX, and overall it's probably NOT worth it.

But, I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• Image 1-3-19 at 11.50 PM.jpg
    Image 1-3-19 at 11.50 PM.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 519
Anyone else have recommendations for CL fiber besides ER? I can not consistently get above 600M DL with my net gear r7800 with VLAN/PPPOE enabled and I am looking for options!
TIA!

The Cisco RV340 now has a VLAN sub interface on the WAN port. I assume it would work now. You can always put a VLAN switch in front of the router.

I don't have Centrylink gig fiber so I can't test it.

Older post, but I'm running into the same headache with CenturyLink Gigabit Fiber and an Eero with the C3000z that was given to me. Right now I'm setup with a double NAT just to get traffic flowing, but need to get rid of the C3000z and swap with something like the EdgeRouter x, etc... That said, I'm curious about your configuration. You obviously set your router to handle the PPPoe and the VPN tagging, but is it configured in bridge mode, does your eero have an Internet IP? Want to pull the trigger on this, but want to confirm some more details first. Also, is it worth spending the extra $ to go from the X to the 4 router?

Thanks!

@Brian B - I would start your own thread on this topic, describing in detail your requirements, with a link to this thread as support material for those replying. I think you'll get better results that way.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!