What's new

Best practice to uploading latest Merlin 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@ColinTaylor but you forgot to include the complete quote.

However, in some cases, this may not successfully reset the router to the default status. ASUS recommends that you try the Hard Factory Reset before attempting any advanced troubleshooting.

Brave (browser)? I'm not brave enough to install that on my system. :)

I did some more experimenting with CTRL-S. In Brave (and probably other Chrome based browsers) there are 3 options with the CTRL-S. This might be similar in Firefox.

• Webpage, HTML Only (*.htm, *html)
doesn't work!!! Don't use this

• Webpage, Single File (*.mhtml)
works - creates one large file

• Webpage, Complete (*.htm, *html)
works - creates one file and
Creates similar named folder with sub files
*If saving, remember to save these folders too!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the "recommended" method of doing a factory reset according to Asus, updated four weeks ago:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000925/
When you want to clear all the settings in your router into the default setting, you could try following 2 methods to reset the router into default setting.

Method 1 : Reset the router through the WEB GUI.

Notice: This method applies to the situation that you could still enter the WEB GUI successfully.

Method 2: Reset the router through the RESET button on your router.

Notice: This method usually applies to the situation that you couldn’t enter the WEB GUI successfully, ex: Forgot the username and the password of the router, FW updated failure, or couldn’t reset the router via method 1.

And the FAQ has a link to the Hard Reset document:
Q: What if I can't enter the WEB GUI after trying above methods?

A: You could try Hard Factory Reset to fix the issue.

For more details could refer to ASUS router Hard Factory Reset
@ColinTaylor but you forgot to include the complete quote.
Indeed. I'll quote the complete paragraph below and let the users decide under what circumstances Asus are recommending a hard reset.
To reset your router to the factory default settings, you can Press and Hold the Reset button on your router. However, in some cases, this may not successfully reset the router to the default status. ASUS recommends that you try the Hard Factory Reset before attempting any advanced troubleshooting.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor after many, many router upgrades in the past few years, on many different Asus routers, the GUI method and the WPS method are the only methods that are known to consistently work. Regardless of what Asus recommends or not, I am presenting what works, from experience.

With particularly stubborn router issues, flashing and reflashing the (same) firmware you want to use, resetting via the WPS method, formatting the JFFS partition, and also resetting from GUI (and ticking the 'Initialize all...' button too), and then once more resetting via the WPS method usually brings those routers back to working condition.

I can see why Asus doesn't put that on their main pages. :)

But I can also state I've saved many people's hard-earned cash too by them not needing to buy new routers either. Asus' goals are the opposite, here.

The main point is that if one reset doesn't work (i.e. the issues are the same), that doesn't mean another method won't be successful in getting the router stable again.

No matter who recommends it.

@L&LD I wasn't commenting on what your personal recommendations are. I was only disagreeing with your assertion that Asus doesn't recommend using the reset button to perform a factory reset. That is all.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor, okay. I guess we will agree to disagree on that. To me, Asus is pretty clear that the reset button is going the way of the dodo bird soon. :)

No issue with the network, working. Just accessing the router's GUI. I say; no need to wait for the weekend for that.
Thanks. I did upgrade it without issues. Still try to config it. Anyway to block Youtube ads through Merlin?

YouTube adblocking is a continually moving target. Still hit and miss for most/all when using Diversion or any other method that is router-based. Your best bet today is still an extension on the browser you're using.

YouTube adblocking is a continually moving target. Still hit and miss for most/all when using Diversion or any other method that is router-based. Your best bet today is still an extension on the browser you're using.
Ok! One more question about "select 'Yes' for the Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs."-I am not sure what JFFS can do for me as I am not using custom functions on Merlin right now. If you can, help me understand JFFS please :)

As I understand it, the JFFS partition is an area of the nand where we (users) are allowed to write to (along with the firmware writing to it too, of course). It also holds other information such as OpenVPN configurations, etc. as changed/enabled via the GUI.

If you're not attaching (and leaving attached) a USB drive to the router and using amtm, Entware, a swap file, and/or scripts, there isn't anything it can do for you.

You can safely select 'Yes' and use your router normally. And, when you're ready to unleash the potential that amtm, Entware, a swap file, and/or scripts, will allow, it will be ready for you.

When you are ready to do that, look in my signature for the link to the 'amtm Step-by-Step' guide, and be sure to note that amtm doesn't need installing since RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 (it is included in the firmware), but all the other suggestions are still relevant.

Now you too know the full extent of my JFFS knowledge. Please don't judge! :D

As I understand it, the JFFS partition is an area of the nand where we (users) are allowed to write to (along with the firmware writing to it too, of course). It also holds other information such as OpenVPN configurations, etc. as changed/enabled via the GUI.

If you're not attaching (and leaving attached) a USB drive to the router and using amtm, Entware, a swap file, and/or scripts, there isn't anything it can do for you.

You can safely select 'Yes' and use your router normally. And, when you're ready to unleash the potential that amtm, Entware, a swap file, and/or scripts, will allow, it will be ready for you.

When you are ready to do that, look in my signature for the link to the 'amtm Step-by-Step' guide, and be sure to note that amtm doesn't need installing since RMerlin firmware 384.15_0 (it is included in the firmware), but all the other suggestions are still relevant.

Now you too know the full extent of my JFFS knowledge. Please don't judge! :D
thanks! need to learn bit by bit

Hi folks, I’m newbie, did update from stock 3.0.0.4.386.41634 to 386.1 on 86U, everything started working Perfectly within 5 minutes, so as suggested in forum to do factory reset after, Is it necessary for me?

Thanks in advance

Hi folks, I’m newbie, did update from stock 3.0.0.4.386.41634 to 386.1 on 86U, everything started working Perfectly within 5 minutes, so as suggested in forum to do factory reset after, Is it necessary for me?

Thanks in advance
Always check the release notes for the definitive statement from the firmware's author:
Upgrade notes:
:
- If coming from stock Asus firmware, a factory default reset is recommended, but not mandatory.

Good to know! I did reset it after loading new Merlin. Is it normal that after each reset we will need to start creating the wifi name, password etc. all over again like a new unit?
Yes, that's what a factory reset does.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!