What's new

Best router to use with a VPN client? (IE Express VPN etc)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JamesM

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I currently have a pair of AX92u's, but I was wondering what is the best router for using with a VPN connection (Express VPN etc).

I was looking at the AX11000.

Any input/thoughts? - much appreciated.

VPN performance will be identical with both of these.

Here is the last week of history on my AX88U using Express VPN. Typically getting between 100 and 150 Mbps. Some of the low spots are probably caused by inbound traffic while spdMerlin is running its test. I could probably fine tune it to maximize throughput by searching through different servers, but the one I’m connected to has been extremely reliable.

AC86U should be similar in speeds as it has similar CPU architecture. Both can theoretically do over 250. Before the pandemic I had seen results as high as 220 Mbps.

If you’re looking to go with a wifi 6 router, I highly recommend the AX88U with Merlin installed. It’s a beast.

Attachments

• 1247A01C-DCA4-4D1E-A121-752601F220F9.png
    1247A01C-DCA4-4D1E-A121-752601F220F9.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 184
Here is the last week of history on my AX88U using Express VPN. Typically getting between 100 and 150 Mbps. Some of the low spots are probably caused by inbound traffic while spdMerlin is running its test. I could probably fine tune it to maximize throughput by searching through different servers, but the one I’m connected to has been extremely reliable.

AC86U should be similar in speeds as it has similar CPU architecture. Both can theoretically do over 250. Before the pandemic I had seen results as high as 220 Mbps.

If you’re looking to go with a wifi 6 router, I highly recommend the AX88U with Merlin installed. It’s a beast.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

@JamesM that would be the RMerlin powered RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U. Check your budget and then empty your pockets. :)

I think you made a sideways and even a downgrade move then. :oops: :)

@JamesM that would be the RMerlin powered RT-AC86U and the RT-AX88U. Check your budget and then empty your pockets. :)

Personally I found the VPN client in the Merlin firmware better than what's found on the AX11000.
I had some problems with the AX11000 but the AX88U with Merlin has been much better.
For me the VPN client using the x3mrouting script for Merlin works quite well with application selective routing over the VPN, a feature not available on other than Merlin.
Also, I'm pretty sure the AC86U, AX88U and the AX11000 are capable of hardware acceleration with OpenVPN.

Thanks guys.

Can I use a AX88U with AI Mesh but with a non merlin node?

IE AX88U as router and AX92U (not merlin compat.) as a node?

What's application selective routing?

Technically yes, you can. In practice, it has already shown to cause issues when the firmware versions are significantly different between them.

Technically yes, you can. In practice, it has already shown to cause issues when the firmware versions are significantly different between them.
Thanks - I ran a mesh setup as the kids were having signal issues in their rooms.

If I wanted to go crazy could I run two merlin AX88U's in a mesh witout issues?

Could you do me a favour as I'm seeing an issue with the AX92U routers/mesh with VPN.

If I stream to twitch 6Mbps and then top out my download the upload speed to Twitch starts to drop off drastically.
This isn't an issue when I'm not using the VPN.

I'm wondering if it's an Express issue or simply a router issue...?

Thanks guys.

Can I use a AX88U with AI Mesh but with a non merlin node?

IE AX88U as router and AX92U (not merlin compat.) as a node?

What's application selective routing?

Well yes, but AiMesh is often problematic.
Even so I've been fairly successful using it, currently AX88U main and AX11000 as a node.
I don't have any AX92Us so don't know about those.

For the selective routing see https://www.snbforums.com/threads/x3mrouting-selective-routing-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware.57793/.
Basically it provides ways to construct lists of IP addresses to use for routing applications (streaming services) via a VPN, or not, for particular VPN client devices.

Ian

Thanks - I ran a mesh setup as the kids were having signal issues in their rooms.

If I wanted to go crazy could I run two merlin AX88U's in a mesh witout issues?

Sure, if you went crazy. :)

Just know that AiMesh currently doesn't extend the Guest networks (only the main router will be broadcasting those). :)

Well yes, but AiMesh is often problematic.
Even so I've been fairly successful using it, currently AX88U main and AX11000 as a node.
I don't have any AX92Us so don't know about those.

For the selective routing see https://www.snbforums.com/threads/x3mrouting-selective-routing-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware.57793/.
Basically it provides ways to construct lists of IP addresses to use for routing applications (streaming services) via a VPN, or not, for particular VPN client devices.

Ian

Thanks, I'll check out the link.
So you have Merlin on the AX88U and normal FW on the AX11000?

Sure, if you went crazy. :)

Just know that AiMesh currently doesn't extend the Guest networks (only the main router will be broadcasting those). :)

I've noticed this with the AX92U's actually. A bit of an oversight there on ASUS's part.