What's new

Best Setup for AXX8U Repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

#TY

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup 2 brand new Asus AX88U units and have already gone through @L&LD nuclear setup and step by step instructions to ensure they are both as robust as possible. One of the routers is going to be on the main floor and the other in the basement. I've setup the 2nd router as a repeater because it cannot be connected via ethernet to extend the wifi unfortunately. As is stands I have 2 WiFi networks, WifiA and Wifi-RPT. The repeater is only extending the 2.4GHz though and I have a feeling its affecting the overall performance. My internet speed is supposed to be 400/60 but Im not getting anywhere near these speeds.

Would anyone have a proven step by step guideline for these routers that I can use as a baseline?

Thank you in advance

• I do not have a repeater so I am just guessing
  • Do repeaters need to use a dedicated WiFi? I don't think so, so I would share the 5 GHz Wifi amongst devices and repeater
  • Most 5 GHz devices will support 80 MHz
  • If you are in a cluttered 5 GHz environment and weather/military radar are not detected, you will likely have DFS channels to yourself
  • If a device does not need LAN access (IoT for example), I connect it to a 2.4 GHz guest WiFi without LAN access. Since my Wifi devices that need LAN access are all on 5 GHz, I also disallow communication amongst 2.4 GHz devices (set in Professional tab)
  • I get about 500 Mbit/sec from Apple devices over 5 GHz WiFi to a LAN PC using iPerf3 -V -w 1M

For some reason, my repeater only sees the 2.4GHhz band of the WiFi setup on the main router even though both are available. Not sure why.

For some reason, my repeater only sees the 2.4GHhz band of the WiFi setup on the main router even though both are available. Not sure why.
Perhaps you have already done this, but I would load the latest non-Merlin Asus firmware on the repeater, hard reset to factory default settings and reconfigure from there in repeater mode.

If I am getting 500 Mbit/sec from an 802.11ac 80 MHz 2x2 device, you should be getting even better between two RT-AX88U's in 802.11ac 4x4 mode.

I see. So the main router stays with Merlin but the repeater goes back to the latest ASUS firmware? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this properly. Thank you.

I see. So the main router stays with Merlin but the repeater goes back to the latest ASUS firmware? I just want to make sure I'm understanding this properly. Thank you.
Yes. I do not think much or maybe any testing of repeater and AP modes are done during Merlin development.

Great, I'll try that and report back. Are you able to post screenshots of your WiFi settings please? I. just want to make sure I've got everything as correct as possible. Thanks again.

Last edited:
@#TY how far apart are the routers? Do any client devices see the 5GHz signal from the main router when near the 2nd router?

Have you tried AiMesh? With unique SSID's for the two bands, you will be able to use 2.4GHz downstairs as you want and the backhaul should be on the 5GHz band to give you maximum throughput.

5GHz_General.png

5GHz_Professional.png

I’m running 2 AX88U. Both running RMerlin lastest beta 1. No issues here , running in repeater mode. Was going to try Aimesh, might try it later.
Running channel 112 off the primary router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!