What's new

Best way to setup 2x AX86U Pro: One is serving as router + switch w/ wifi disabled, the other is serving as wifi access point + switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aunsafe2015

Occasional Visitor
2x Asus AX86U Pro. It's been a decade or more since I've owned Asus equipment so just want to double check my planned setup. On the "operation mode" tab, I'm planning to configure the first unit (basement closet where internet comes into the house) just as a "Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)," and then manually disable wifi broadcast on all channels for that unit. I'm planning to configure the second unit (centrally located main level and hardwired to first unit via cat 6) as an "Access Point (AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" and of course broadcast wifi from that unit.

Can anybody confirm that's the best setup for my use case? I've read about repeater mode, media bridge mode, and AiMesh node mode, and those options do not seem to be what I want.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @aunsafe2015.

I would suggest you configure the main router as you indicate. Then add the second router as an AiMesh node. Not from any GUI settings on that 'node' router. Rather, do the following to add it properly to the main router.

First, update both routers to the firmware you want to use (I suggest using RMerlin firmware for the best stability and performance).

Next, perform a full reset via the link below with the appropriate method for your new routers.

Now, minimally and manually configure the main router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not toggle settings on/off (that is not the same as leaving the settings off in the first place). If you do use the latter two processes, the best and fastest way back to a good/known state for your network and router is a full reset once more (without repeating those latter two steps).

After successfully setting up the main router, and fully resetting the router you will use as an AiMesh node, do not connect to that node via its GUI at all. Rather, via the main router, add it as an AiMesh node (while it is in the same room as the main router). Once paired, you can place it where you want it.

I don't see any disadvantages to doing the above over what you stated. And you'll be ready to reap any and all advantages as the routers come into 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware in the following months too.

Welcome to the forums @aunsafe2015.

I would suggest you configure the main router as you indicate. Then add the second router as an AiMesh node. Not from any GUI settings on that 'node' router. Rather, do the following to add it properly to the main router.

First, update both routers to the firmware you want to use (I suggest using RMerlin firmware for the best stability and performance).

Next, perform a full reset via the link below with the appropriate method for your new routers.

Now, minimally and manually configure the main router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not toggle settings on/off (that is not the same as leaving the settings off in the first place). If you do use the latter two processes, the best and fastest way back to a good/known state for your network and router is a full reset once more (without repeating those latter two steps).

After successfully setting up the main router, and fully resetting the router you will use as an AiMesh node, do not connect to that node via its GUI at all. Rather, via the main router, add it as an AiMesh node (while it is in the same room as the main router). Once paired, you can place it where you want it.

I don't see any disadvantages to doing the above over what you stated. And you'll be ready to reap any and all advantages as the routers come into 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware in the following months too.

Thanks for the response. If I pair the second unit as an AiMesh Node, rather than configuring it as an access point, will the AiMesh Node mode still take advantage of the wired backhaul? The plan is to connect this second AX86U to the first AX86U (main router) via cat 6. And wifi will be disabled on the first unit because of its unfavorable location in the basement corner. That is why I was planning to set the second unit up as simply an access point -- it will be the only unit in the house that is broadcasting wifi, so my wifi clients will not be jumping around from access point to access point.

2x Asus AX86U Pro. It's been a decade or more since I've owned Asus equipment so just want to double check my planned setup. On the "operation mode" tab, I'm planning to configure the first unit (basement closet where internet comes into the house) just as a "Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)," and then manually disable wifi broadcast on all channels for that unit. I'm planning to configure the second unit (centrally located main level and hardwired to first unit via cat 6) as an "Access Point (AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" and of course broadcast wifi from that unit.

Can anybody confirm that's the best setup for my use case? I've read about repeater mode, media bridge mode, and AiMesh node mode, and those options do not seem to be what I want.

Thanks!
Why not just use a switch in the basement and cable that to the main floor, using just the one router and not two.

Set up both with WIFI. Will not hurt. Use the 2.5 GB ports for backhaul. Set just the SSID and password and leave the rest of the WIFI settings at default for now. My AX86U AiMesh node is in the basement.

Oh, if you have Ethernet from the basement location (where your modem or ONT connection is located?) just connect the Ethernet to the modem and run to the router on the first floor.

Why not just use a switch in the basement and cable that to the main floor, using just the one router and not two.
Is that possible? The internet connection from the ONT comes into the basement closet. It's the same closet that all of the houses cat 6 wires terminate in.

You are saying I could connect the internet connection directly to a switch? I thought the internet connection needed to be connected directly to a router?

Set up both with WIFI. Will not hurt. Use the 2.5 GB ports for backhaul. Set just the SSID and password and leave the rest of the WIFI settings at default for now. My AX86U AiMesh node is in the basement.

Oh, if you have Ethernet from the basement location (where your modem or ONT connection is located?) just connect the Ethernet to the modem and run to the router on the first floor.
I do have ethernet from the basement location to the main floor location. The basement location is where all of the cat6 connections from the whole house terminate.

Could I plug the ONT ethernet internet connection directly into a switch, and then place a router on my main level and plug ethernet from main level cat6 jack into the WAN of the router? I thought the ONT ethernet had to go directly into a router WAN port.

I also plug the cat6 cables from several other rooms in my house into the switch in the basement. In the two AX86U setup, that switch would be the first AX86U. If you are saying I could just use the one AX86U on the main level, and just a standard switch in the basement, that would be a good solution. But like I said, I thought the ONT ethernet internet connection had to be plugged directly into a router, not a switch.

Do you have more than one cable/Ethernet run from the central location the 'AP' router will be in?

If so, connect one run directly to the WAN of that central router, then connect the other run to a switch, along with all the terminated Cat6 runs from the rest of the home to one of the LAN ports on that central router. You won't need the second router at all like this.

If you only have one Ethernet cable to that central router. This isn't going to work (easily).

How many Cat6 runs do you have in the downstairs closet? How big of a switch (number of Ports) do you have?

Is that possible? The internet connection from the ONT comes into the basement closet. It's the same closet that all of the houses cat 6 wires terminate in.

You are saying I could connect the internet connection directly to a switch? I thought the internet connection needed to be connected directly to a router?
A diagram of your current setup would help.

Do you have more than one cable/Ethernet run from the central location the 'AP' router will be in?

If so, connect one run directly to the WAN of that central router, then connect the other run to a switch, along with all the terminated Cat6 runs from the rest of the home to one of the LAN ports on that central router. You won't need the second router at all like this.

If you only have one Ethernet cable to that central router. This isn't going to work (easily).

How many Cat6 runs do you have in the downstairs closet? How big of a switch (number of Ports) do you have?
The central location on the main floor where I want the wifi to be broadcast from only has ONE cat6 available. The house has a total of 7 cat6 runs. 3 on the second floor, 1 on the main floor, and 3 in the basement. All of them terminate into the closet where the ONT is located.
A diagram of your current setup would help.
Attached. Current setup just has a Google wifi router + 16 port switch in the basement closet. Ethernet is plugged from the ONT into the WAN port of the Google wifi router. Cat6 connects the lan port of Google wifi to the 16-port switch. All of the other cat6 drops in the house are also plugged into the 16-port switch. Another Google wifi access point is located on the main floor and connected via wired backhaul to the switch in the basement closet.

With this setup, I require a router in the basement closet for the ONT ethernet connection to plug into the WAN port, correct? If I were to only have 1 router and place it on my main floor, none of the other cat6 drops in the house would be receiving internet from the switch in the baement closet, would they?

This is why I've assumed that the two routers are necessary (one acting as a router + switch in the basement, the other acting as an access point + switch on the main level, as described in the original post) if I want wired internet to all of my cat6 drops.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 40
The central location on the main floor where I want the wifi to be broadcast from only has ONE cat6 available. The house has a total of 7 cat6 runs. 3 on the second floor, 1 on the main floor, and 3 in the basement. All of them terminate into the closet where the ONT is located.

Attached. Current setup just has a Google wifi router + 16 port switch in the basement closet. Ethernet is plugged from the ONT into the WAN port of the Google wifi router. Cat6 connects the lan port of Google wifi to the 16-port switch. All of the other cat6 drops in the house are also plugged into the 16-port switch. Another Google wifi access point is located on the main floor and connected via wired backhaul to the switch in the basement closet.

With this setup, I require a router in the basement closet for the ONT ethernet connection to plug into the WAN port, correct? If I were to only have 1 router and place it on my main floor, none of the other cat6 drops in the house would be receiving internet from the switch in the baement closet, would they?
Correct. Since your equipment and drops are in the basement you’ll need the router down there to route for the switch. Your first idea is what I’d go with.

Are you able to run a second Ethernet cable to that central location? It would improve your network stability and reliability immensely.

If you can't, then my recommendation in Post 2 is what I would do.

Correct. Since your equipment and drops are in the basement you’ll need the router down there to route for the switch. Your first idea is what I’d go with.
Thanks.

And to provide a little more detail, in case anybody is wondering, the reason I want to disable wifi on the basement unit is because that closet just does not transmit a good wifi signal. It's the far corner of the house, and seems to be shielded a bit. So if wifi is on, it's just a crappy signal competing with the much better signal from the centrally located main floor unit. That's why I proposed the configuration in the original post of two routers but having the wifi on the basement unit disabled.

That being the case, am I better off configuring the main level unit as an access point, or as a Mesh node as L&LD suggested in the second post?

Are you able to run a second Ethernet cable to that central location? It would improve your network stability and reliability immensely.

If you can't, then my recommendation in Post 2 is what I would do.
It would be too difficult to get another network cable up there unfortunately.

Out of curiosity though, what do you see as the benefit of setting up the main level unit as an AiMesh Node rather than as an access point? See above post about how my plan is to disable wifi on the basement unit due to poor signal down there.

Thanks.

And to provide a little more detail, in case anybody is wondering, the reason I want to disable wifi on the basement unit is because that closet just does not transmit a good wifi signal. It's the far corner of the house, and seems to be shielded a bit. So if wifi is on, it's just a crappy signal competing with the much better signal from the centrally located main floor unit. That's why I proposed the configuration in the original post of two routers but having the wifi on the basement unit disabled.

That being the case, am I better off configuring the main level unit as an access point, or as a Mesh node as L&LD suggested in the second post?
If you can run another cable to the main floor as L&D suggested, you could have the ont cabled direct to the router on the main floor by wan. Then the second cable out from lan back to the switch in the basement and it will feed as yiu have it now. This eliminates the second router and is cleaner like he said.

With identical routers, running identical firmware, using a 2.5GbE backhaul, and sharing the Guest Network 1 configuration, I think the benefits are many when using the router in AiMesh mode. Particularly when the main router's WiFi is so contained as you indicate in your posts above.

However, a single router, properly placed, is infinitely more stable and reliable.

Consider selling one RT-AX86U Pro to finance the running of a second and third cable to that central location (the labor to run two or three cables is the same, the only extra cost is the price of the cables, and having future options, is well worth it).

I'm planning to configure the first unit (basement closet where internet comes into the house) just as a "Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)," and then manually disable wifi broadcast on all channels for that unit. I'm planning to configure the second unit (centrally located main level and hardwired to first unit via cat 6) as an "Access Point (AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" and of course broadcast wifi from that unit.
Sounds like you may be over thinking things. If you plan on running wire to the central main level location on the main level then just use on single router positioned at the central main level location. Run the wire from that router to the basement (if it doesn't already exist) and connect the wire plug direct to the broadband provider's equipment (ONT, gateway, etc.) No need for a switch or second router in that case. Or if you have a patch panel in the basement, run the wire from the main level location to that patch panel then connect a patch cable from that plug to the broadband provider's equipment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!