What's new

Diversion Best way to test that Diversion is working properly?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Strawbz

New Around Here
Just finished installing Diversion and now looking to test some web pages out to see if ads are actually getting blocked. From my initial test on sites like yahoo.com I'm still seeing ads. Is there a better way to test that ads are being blocked?

Not really sure what I'm looking at in the logs as I'm new to this, but I have confirmed 1. DNS filtering is on 2. Filtering by router 3. Pixelserv certificate has been installed in Trusted Root.

Have been using Microsoft Edge as I already run Ublock Origin on Chrome.

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks :)

Stupid question really haha. Sorry. Have tested more sites now that test adblockers such as "Can You Block It DOT com" and it seems like Diversion wont be perfect, but when used with Firefox on Android and Ublock Origin on Chrome most bases are covered. Adding in Youtube Vanced for Android Youtube, pretty happy with how much is being blocked.

But still, if someone has a suggestion to strive for Ad Free perfection let me know what you use on the regular!

Keep in mind that there are multiple blocking lists available in Diversion which include Minimal, Small, Standard, Medium and Large. As you go from Minimal to Large, you block more sites, and with increased blocking, there is the danger of blocking part of or all of a particular site that you use. If that happens you can use Diversion to determine what sites are being blocked and then whitelist them. You can also use an alternate block file for specified devices, so if you're looking to experiment with a block file size, thats one way to do it instead of using it globally.

Clear your web browser cache to clean out any existing references to ad sites.

Also, keep in mind, the router has to provide the DNS address and the filtering capability thru Diversion, so, if you have DNS over HTTP running in Firefox or any other browser, it will bypass Diversion and you will end up seeing ads. So,

1. set the DNS addresses in the WAN tab:
2. Set "Prevent Client Auto DoH" in the WAN tab;
3. Set "Enable DNS-based Filtering" to ON in the LAN .... DNSFilter tab
4. Set "Global Filter Mode" to Router in the LAN .... DNSFilter tab

For test sites, go to www.speedtest.net or https://www.dailymail.co.uk/

With Diversion running, and using a large enough blocking file, you shouldn't see ads on those pages.

I've found the Medium block list to work pretty well, but, I haven't experimented with the Large file to see if it breaks any sites that I typically use.

If you have any questions regarding Diversion, take a read thru the Diversion web site:

Do we need to clear CUSTOM DNS under DNSFilter?
Since they are pointing to Google DNS?

Also the DNS on devices are default router dns or I need to specify the ad-blocking IP set in Diversion?

Just finished installing Diversion and now looking to test some web pages out to see if ads are actually getting blocked. From my initial test on sites like yahoo.com I'm still seeing ads. Is there a better way to test that ads are being blocked?

Not really sure what I'm looking at in the logs as I'm new to this, but I have confirmed 1. DNS filtering is on 2. Filtering by router 3. Pixelserv certificate has been installed in Trusted Root.

Have been using Microsoft Edge as I already run Ublock Origin on Chrome.

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks :)
Do we need to clear CUSTOM DNS under DNSFilter?
Since they are pointing to Google DNS?

Also the DNS on devices are default router dns or I need to specify the ad-blocking IP set in Diversion?
DNS Director (filter) = ON.
Global Redirection = Router

All client‘s DNS should point to the default router’s IP. (Not the Pixelserv IP).

If you’re seeing ads you don’t want, choose a larger/different blocking list. Have fun!

DNS Director (filter) = ON.
Global Redirection = Router

All client‘s DNS should point to the default router’s IP. (Not the Pixelserv IP).

If you’re seeing ads you don’t want, choose a larger/different blocking list. Have fun!
Thanks for taking the time to clarify!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!