What's new

Best Windows AD integration (2-4 drives)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andrewpetre

New Around Here
I'm looking at devices under $1000 BYOD with 2+ HOT SWAP slots.

It needs to behave well when a drive dies. Speed is not quite as important as a strong management interface and ease of use with Windows AD since I want to replace a file server.

I've been looking very hard at the Synology 209+, but I noticed that it won't hot swap.

So I guess the list by importance will be:

1)Two+ hot swap drive bays (2 is enough if I go big).
2)Windows AD integration
3)Well-behaved on drive failure
4)Speed

With those weights in mind, what's a good fit?

Thanks!

(edit: after reading the 'don't raid' bit, I could be persuaded into two single drive enclosures, one to back up the other. i will still favor ease of use in a windows AD network over speed.)

Last edited:
Windows AD integration

Ok how about just commenting on any specific experience with any NAS that had a good attitude toward Windows AD?

Not just does it say it on the side of the box, but you actually installed one and applied ACLs and secured folders per existing user successfully.

We'll skip the rest of the criteria for now since they can be discovered through the charts and reviews.

Any help is appreciated. =)

Sorry, but I don't test AD/ NT domain integration. Someone else will need to comment. Or perhaps check the Synology Forums for comments.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!