What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After you release the final version 384.5, I hope that the next version focuses on AiMesh and try to update your features so that they work with AiMesh or REMOVE them :D.
Why don’t you use the original ASUS firmware then?

It offers AiMesh and doesn’t have any additional features from RMerlin (all features removed, except for all the stuff ASUS took from Asuswrt-Merlin because of the excellent job he’s doing).

Why don’t you use the original ASUS firmware then?

It offers AiMesh and doesn’t have any additional features from RMerlin (all features removed, except for all the stuff ASUS took from Asuswrt-Merlin because of the excellent job he’s doing).

I think looking at the posts made so far it is probably best to avoid feeding the troll.

Because he has a modified version DHCP/Wireless list name that for me is USELESS, that's why he never add AiMesh as I said before "My features" over those of ASUS, but he use the ASUS firmware as source.

As you already stated , you want AiMesh and you don't like Merlin's firmware ...... so go and use the official ASUS version and your problems will be over.

the both well known (I think first or "original") IPv6 testpages are:
http://test-ipv6.com/
and
http://ipv6-test.com/
Wasn't aware as I have no need for IPv6 yet and therefore have not researched what is available to aid setup and testing. :)
Also officially my ISP does not 'support' IPv6 although you can use IPv6 and access DNS Servers as I have confirmed.
When sites I need are 'IPv6 Only' I will show more interest ;)

Wasn't aware as I have no need for IPv6 yet and therefore have not researched what is available to aid setup and testing. :)
Also officially my ISP does not 'support' IPv6 although you can use IPv6 and access DNS Servers as I have confirmed.
When sites I need are 'IPv6 Only' I will show more interest ;)
I have activated 6to4 tunnel for that, then tests are working 100% and such sites are available for me.
Yes not very secure I know, but you can activate it fast if neccessary and deact afterwards again.

1. If I do a HEALTH SCAN (click USB icon under 'Network Map' tab) on USB device, after it is done, the results don't show as expected in the text box. I have to go to another page and back in again to see the results.

Can't reproduce it here. Anyone else?

2. Despite factory reset and putting data in by hand again, the WEB HISTORY still does not list traffic unique to each device. I get one device have traffic listed from 3 other devices despite different host names and IP addresses. I have also cleared the JFFS partition too. Probably, in fact certain, its an ASUS bug, but good if Merlin could tell them its broken too!

Web History is closed source, and outside of my control.

3. On "OTHER SETTINGS", I cannot amend the value for "TCP Timeout: Established" - it just reverts back to 2400

The issue was actually with any of the TCP timeout settings. Fixed.

NAT Loop Back does not work at all in this firmware. Disappointing considering it has worked all along until 384.

I use Google remote desktop to access a couple pcs within my network, now this never works, fails to connect all the time.

I can't even find a loop back setting anywhere in the interface.

NAT Loop Back does not work at all in this firmware. Disappointing considering it has worked all along until 384.

I use Google remote desktop to access a couple pcs within my network, now this never works, fails to connect all the time.

I can't even find a loop back setting anywhere in the interface.

Works fine for me, I just tested it. Double check your DDNS/IP/port forward configuration.

There's no setting because it's part of the firewall code, it's not a feature that can be enabled/disabled.

Because he has a modified version DHCP/Wireless list name that for me is USELESS, that's why he never add AiMesh as I said before "My features" over those of ASUS, but I use the ASUS firmware as source :rolleyes:.

It's not the only feature that's not compatible, there are multiple issues. Another one is an AiMesh node cannot be directly upgraded, and can only update its firmware over the Internet, something my firmware does not support. The code doing this is closed source and therefore cannot be changed.

To update the node you just have to do a factory reset with the Reset or WPS button, update the firmware normally by the WebUI, again factory reset and with the main router find the node.

Which is a PITA to do, and not an acceptable workaround. That's in addition to the fact that Asus might potentially change something in the firmware version check, and end up pushing the stock firmware to your router, overwriting everything, and causing compatibility issues as the nvram settings would not be appropriate for a stock firmware.

AiMesh is simply not happening in the near future for Asuswrt-Merlin, sorry.

Works fine for me, I just tested it. Double check your DDNS/IP/port forward configuration.

There's no setting because it's part of the firewall code, it's not a feature that can be enabled/disabled.
Not sure why DDNS is required, but I set that up and it's still not working. I tried connecting to two machines I have within my own network and google remote desktop just errors.

Because he has a modified version DHCP/Wireless list name that for me is USELESS, that's why he never add AiMesh as I said before "My features" over those of ASUS, but I use the ASUS firmware as source :rolleyes:.
It's his code, he gets to choose what he supports and doesn't. If people generally like his code, they use it, and some even kick some money his way now and then. If people don't like it, they don't use it. I'm pretty sure all of his changes and additions are licensed under the GPL, so you're free to take the source code and make it work the way you want it to, whether by your own time, or by paying someone to make the changes.

Seriously, if the stock code does everything you want, there is no reason to use RMerlin's. He has no access to the closed-source bits - if they fix a vulnerability in the closed-source bits, there's likely to be a delay between that fix being rolled into a stock firmware, and RMerlin being able to integrate that blob into his release. RMerlin != ASUS.

And if you're not using RMerlin's code, remind me again why you're ranting here?

Can't reproduce it here. Anyone else?

Using an USB-stick on 86U and have no text too. Starts with 95-100% finishing very fast and emtpy field. Nothing with other page and back, still empty.
Stick as FAT running download master (working).

Which is a PITA to do, and not an acceptable workaround. That's in addition to the fact that Asus might potentially change something in the firmware version check, and end up pushing the stock firmware to your router, overwriting everything, and causing compatibility issues as the nvram settings would not be appropriate for a stock firmware.

AiMesh is simply not happening in the near future for Asuswrt-Merlin, sorry.
Hi RMerlin:
Is it neccessary to have a node router run your firmware?
Isn't it done all on main-router where we could load yours and running stock on nodes only with mesh-function?
Maybe stupid question for you but if I think about AP-mode whats similar for me than it should/could work this way, isn't it?
Not this time, but maybe sometimes next year, and not for me, just asking generally ...

PS: just saw our troll had the same suggestion ... hope you dont put me in the same category.

Last edited:
Not sure why DDNS is required, but I set that up and it's still not working. I tried connecting to two machines I have within my own network and google remote desktop just errors.

DDNS is not required, I just didn't know if you were accessing the loopback through the WAN IP or through a DDNS hostname. In the past some people reporting problems with the NAT loopback happened to be using a DDNS that wasn't up-to-date.

Check the nat PREROUTING chain for the presence for this rule:

Code:
221K   27M VSERVER    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            1.2.3.4

1.2.3.4 should be your WAN IP

Then check the nat VSERVER chain to ensure your port forwards are all properly defined there.

Code:
iptables -t nat -L VSERVER -vn

If you use any script that customizes the firewall (like Skynet), make sure you're not conflicting with the existing iptables rules created by the firmware.

Is it neccessary to have a node router run your firmware?

AiMesh has nodes talking to one another, exchanging nvram settings. Just like it's not advised going back and forth between Asuswrt-Merlin and Asuswrt without a factory default reset, having an Asuswrt-Merlin router trying to access and modify settings to a non-Asuswrt-Merlin firmware will lead to problems. The DHCP reservation list was one example there, Asus and I don't stock settings in the same format, since I allow end-users to define the hostname to use on their static leases.

Then REMOVE that "feature" and use the ASUS stock and now we can use AiMesh and in the future you add it when it has compatibility.

Not happening, as this is a much more useful feature than AiMesh. And as I keep saying, closed source code makes it impossible for me to work with AiMesh.

End of the discussion.

DDNS is not required, I just didn't know if you were accessing the loopback through the WAN IP or through a DDNS hostname. In the past some people reporting problems with the NAT loopback happened to be using a DDNS that wasn't up-to-date.

Check the nat PREROUTING chain for the presence for this rule:

Code:
221K   27M VSERVER    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            1.2.3.4

1.2.3.4 should be your WAN IP

Then check the nat VSERVER chain to ensure your port forwards are all properly defined there.

Code:
iptables -t nat -L VSERVER -vn

If you use any script that customizes the firewall (like Skynet), make sure you're not conflicting with the existing iptables rules created by the firmware.
I do not really know how to do these things you ask, can you give me an idea of where I find that info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!