What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I noticed that the General log is not really cleared when using the clear button. After using the clear button then log seems to be cleared but after changing the log level of "log only messages more urgent than" and clicking on apply, the log reappears again.
RT-AC86U, 384.5_beta2

Last edited:
Trying the beta2 on my RT-AC68U. My PC is assigned a manual IP in the DHCP list. I now notice log entries every couple minutes related to my PC:

May 7 17:49:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[264]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.1.2 (mac)
May 7 17:49:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[264]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.2 (mac) (hostname)
May 7 17:50:59 dnsmasq-dhcp[264]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.1.2 (mac)
May 7 17:50:59 dnsmasq-dhcp[264]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.2 (mac) (hostname)

Before it used to be several hours.

Last edited:
Beta 2 is running great on my 88 in AP mode, my 87 in gateway/AP mode, and my 86 in gateway/AP mode. Thank you for all your work, Merlin!

Trying the beta2 on my RT-AC68U. My PC is assigned a manual IP in the DHCP list. I now notice log entries every couple minutes related to my PC:

dnsmasq was last updated back in October, so nothing was changed recently there. Double check the lease time.

dnsmasq was last updated back in October, so nothing was changed recently there. Double check the lease time.

The lease time was for 1 day in the DHCP leases list. I've removed the reserved IP and turned off manual assignment and that's stopped the log entry every couple minutes and has only appeared a couple time since. My Samsung TV which is also connected hasn't logged anything yet. Just see how it acts over next couple days.

It's windows being finicky about the WPAD change. Microsoft fixed things so that the event log no longer gets spammed without the LF being sent, but now on some systems it looks like it gets upset and keeps looking to the DHCP server for a value. (I have 2 Win7 systems with the same maintenance level, one does the DHCPINFORM, one doesn't....haven't been able to figure out the trigger).

Code:
nvram set dhcpd_filter_wpad=1
nvram commit

@RMerlin - Maybe we should change the default back to the old behavior?

Beta 1 stable on AC5300 since release (clean install), no problems.
Direct update to Beta 2, no issues so far.

Something I've noticed however, I installed a fan on the AC5300 which dropped the temps as follows and RSSI dropped on my Ring doorbell after installing the fan (Quality changed from saying Good to Very Good):

Fan OFF: 2.4 GHz: 55°C - 5 GHz: 67°C - CPU: 70°C
Fan ON: 2.4 GHz: 39°C - 5 GHz: 42°C - CPU: 47°C

Does anyone have any tools I can try to see if the cooling makes a difference in the performance of the router?

I have been running a fan on mine since I installed it because it is located in a hot environment.
You must remember to clean it every 6 months if you do use a fan because it will gather dirt. I use a grounded vacuum on it with a brush.

Current Temperatures:
Room Air 85 °F
Router temps:
Fan ON: 2.4 GHz: 108 °F - 42°C - 5 GHz: 118 °F - 48°C - CPU: 135 °F - 57°C

I don't know of any tools other than knowing the temp and how it runs when its hot. Whatever the case most routers can handle some heat but we all know ICs don't like heat. I have seen 225 °F before I installed the fan and I did not want the router running that hot. That's why I installed the fan. I feel that the coller it can run the longer the router will last.

Last edited:
I can confirm for RT-AC86U with 384.5_beta2 the bug for the wireless schedule is still present also after a full factory setting restore and manually inserted values. The bug is quite annoying since it does not occur immediately but only after few days of usage.

I can confirm for RT-AC86U with 384.5_beta2 the bug for the wireless schedule is still present also after a full factory setting restore and manually inserted values. The bug is quite annoying since it does not occur immediately but only after few days of usage.

Thank you! Saves me trying it again to see if it works with this firmware. ;-)
I’m thinking it must be an Asus strangeness, & nothing will resolve unless by a fix within the factory firmware?

Update: On RT-AC86U, router UI became unreachable at some point yesterday (timeout - nothing appeared), nothing in the logs indicate anything wrong (quick perusal). Traffic was still flowing without issue. I logged in via putty to issue reboot cmd and UI is back operational. If it happens again, will check logs, post findings, and perform reset to configure from scratch.

On RT-AC86U (with factory reset and JFFS partition reset):

1. If I do a HEALTH SCAN (click USB icon under 'Network Map' tab) on USB device, after it is done, the results don't show as expected in the text box. I have to go to another page and back in again to see the results.

2. Despite factory reset and putting data in by hand again, the WEB HISTORY still does not list traffic unique to each device. I get one device have traffic listed from 3 other devices despite different host names and IP addresses. I have also cleared the JFFS partition too. Probably, in fact certain, its an ASUS bug, but good if Merlin could tell them its broken too!

3. On "OTHER SETTINGS", I cannot amend the value for "TCP Timeout: Established" - it just reverts back to 2400.

@RMerlin - Maybe we should change the default back to the old behavior?

I will have to change the nvram name to ensure a new default value properly gets applied.

Update: On RT-AC86U, router UI became unreachable at some point yesterday (timeout - nothing appeared), nothing in the logs indicate anything wrong (quick perusal). Traffic was still flowing without issue. I logged in via putty to issue reboot cmd and UI is back operational. If it happens again, will check logs, post findings, and perform reset to configure from scratch.
No need to reboot:
Code:
service restart_httpd
will do the trick. I've had httpd hang a couple times, both with AC86U and AC3200. There's enough posts about it with different routers that I think it just happens sometimes.

On RT-AC68U same problem for me, mostly after changing WiFi-settings. Tried other browser - nothing, only SSH reboot than ok again.

Been away on vacation but been popping in and out occasionally following the forums. Updated to beta2 everything work's including OpenVPN, Network Map is still functioning. So, far still a solid build thank's Merlin.

I haven't tested the Traditional QoS, I'll give it a test tonight before I update my FreshJR script for Adaptive QoS.

I have IPv6, absolutely no problems, using 384.5 beta 1.

I get the message about something blocking ICMPv6, but doesn’t seem to be a problem in real world operation that I can see.

I use this as a check.......
http://test-ipv6.monash.edu/
Thanks for the IPv6 Test site.
Very useful to check IPv6 is fully blocked or not !!!

Oh yeah, in the "future feature request" pile, a box for ecdh-curve selection. Pre-shared Diffie Hellman keys is so 2016. ;-) Yes, I do use the custom configuration for it now, but if I understand correctly, the curve method is more secure than psk.

I don't think easy-rsa2 supports it, and easy-rsa3 would break compatibility with other portions of the firmware that might also rely on it.

People looking to use ECDH can manually generate and configure it.

I will have to change the nvram name to ensure a new default value properly gets applied.

I went with dhcpd_send_wpad, defaulting to 1.

Still need to test build it before pushing it to github.

I wonder how other router manufacturers deal with this, since AFAIK, we're the only ones (with maybe either OpenWRT or DD-WRT) to actually handle this. I guess they just get quietly flooded with DHCP requests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!