What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have used 384.5-beta1 for a while and just wonder is it a must to have watchdog restarting vpn every time I hit some apply button in some gui?
I suggest a button to choose on/off. Every time I get a monitoring mail verry anoying. (triggered from openvpn-event) or possibility to config with openvpnclient/server-event script

RGS
Octopus

Last edited:
Ouch! Mine is currently at 3329. Looks like I may be using 380.70 for a while if this doesn't get increased...
My understanding is it will not get fixed. Some of these values are now stored on the JFFS partition (at least with the 86 A LOT of usually long nvram settings are now stored in jffs).
This is ASUS's doing not merlins. I think its to work around new Broadcom setting limitations.

I have used 384.5-beta1 for a while and just wonder is it a must to have watchdog restarting vpn every time I hit some apply button in some gui?

OpenVPN watchdog has nothing to do with applying settings. If the VPN gets restarted, it means you changed a setting that affects the VPN, and the router then will issue a service restart, it's unrelated to the watchdog.

All the watchdog does is check every two minutes if the OpenVPN server/client is running, if it's not, then it restarts it. The watchdog cronjob gets set up when you start a server/client, and removed when you turn it off. If you don't properly shut down the OpenVPN instance, then the cronjob will be left behind, and it will restart the instance as it's supposed to do.

Does anyone have a successful non-tunnel IPv6 connection with this new software? It seems to be blocked for me, and I know that I had it before the upgrade...

When using 384.4.2, and testing on url http://ipv6-test.com/ , this is the message for improving IPv6 connectivity:
Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.
That said, I had a good IPv6 connection.
In the new Beta, IPv6 is totally inop. While troubleshooting, I noticed a difference in the IPv6 screens between 384.4.2 and all the 385 builds so far. The LAN IPv6 Address, LAN Prefix Length, and LAN IPv6 Prefix are all BLANK in 385 builds, while they are all three populated in 384.4.2 build.
Oh, yes...I did a factory reset and upload of the software. The IPv6 failure described was still present.
Ideas?

If you recently updated to the new Windows 10 build, it seems to filter ipv6 ICMP automatically. This command seemed to have worked for me (Windows 10):

Code:
netsh firewall set icmpsetting type=all mode=enable

Taken from: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ing-icmp/527551d0-e477-4dd6-a0a0-eae724940ba3 and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786463(v=ws.10).aspx

If you recently updated to the new Windows 10 build, it seems to filter ipv6 ICMP automatically. This command seemed to have worked for me (Windows 10):

Code:
netsh firewall set icmpsetting type=all mode=enable

Taken from: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ing-icmp/527551d0-e477-4dd6-a0a0-eae724940ba3 and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786463(v=ws.10).aspx
Thats not going to do anything as the site is pinging the router not the computer behind it.

Might possibly be fixed by this, however I haven't looked at it.

These messages have been showing up for random people since the very first firmware release 6 years ago. Just ignore them, they are just notification about the QoS values being used.
Thanks , been using your FW since the beginning , never had that show up before . Good to know I can ignore

I had a problem on ac86u ,after a reboot router gone in shutdown and I had to power manually it!!Is it normal?? (beta 384.5)

Running Beta 1 for 4+ days on RT-AC86U with AMTM, Skynet, AB-Solution, DNSCrypt. No issues.

Running Beta 1 for 4+ days on RT-AC86U with AMTM, Skynet, AB-Solution, DNSCrypt. No issues.
I also use The same set of addons.
Is there possibility to get your jffs partition backup via mail?

I have found somewhere that 86 is storing some settings in jffs.
Some time ago my 2.4 radio went to slow mode and I can’t force normal speed again although I have made lots of recommended tricks...

When automatic 2.4 radio mode is set my links are 5.5 to 7.2 mBits.
With legacy mode up to 24 mBits lol.

Last edited:
I also use The same set of addons.
Is there possibility to get your jffs partition backup via mail?

I have found somewhere that 86 is storing some settings in jffs.
Some time ago my 2.4 radio went to slow mode and I can’t force normal speed again although I have made lots of recommended tricks...

When automatic 2.4 radio mode is set my links are 5.5 to 7.2 mBits.
With legacy mode up to 24 mBits lol.
same for me on 86U, 2,4G extremely slow, instead 68U with same settings just fine.
Factory reset about 100 times ...

Well, a power reset after firmware update is always a good idea - helped also on my two AC87Us... :rolleyes:

I’m finding (after a 384.5x firmware update), a soft reboot, then power off reboot, followed by another soft (GUI) reboot is often required to get everything working again.
However, we’ve been in alpha, & now beta territory for a while now.
It’s to be expected there might be a few rough edges?

Does anyone have a successful non-tunnel IPv6 connection with this new software? It seems to be blocked for me, and I know that I had it before the upgrade...

When using 384.4.2, and testing on url http://ipv6-test.com/ , this is the message for improving IPv6 connectivity:
Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer.

Working for me. Passed 20/20 on that site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

/jffs/scripts/init-start does not seem to be firing on cold or warm boot.

EDIT: Nevermind. It is firing so early the logging engine is not up and running yet. Did the 'touch' test and all seems to be working fine.

Last edited:
Quick update after a week; RT-AC86U on 384.5 beta 1 running rock solid. My intermittent routing and connectivity issues ended up being the RT-AC66R in media bridge mode, which has been a known issue on here since at least 2013 and is unlikely to be fixed. I placed my RT-AC68P in MB mode in its place and haven't had routing or disconnect issues anymore. Next time I see a good deal on a refurb unit, I may replace the RT-AC66R, which is operating in AP mode now connected to the MB.

8 days uptime on beta_1. No issues. Prior to this beta, alpha had 11 days uptime without issues. Thanks, Eric!

Last edited:
8 days uptime on beta_1. No issues. Prior to this beta, alpha had 11 days uptime without issues. Thanks, Eric!
Same here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!