What's new

Beta: ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.380.2697

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kossiewossie

Occasional Visitor
[Beta release]
Security Related
- Modified the access rights of account mode and share mode to asusware.platform path when lighttpd server is enabled. (Très Acton at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence)
- Modified the access rights to specific port of UPnP server. (Très Acton at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence)
- Updated lighttpd server version to 1.4.39 (Thanks to Tommi)
- Restriced access from wan method to enhance security. (Thanks for David)
- Changed SSH and Telnet default access interface.

WTFast
- Updated WTFast core version to 1.0.0.4.16.0105.
- Allowed secondary GPN for WTFast advanced account.
- GPN server to router connection stability improvement.

New Features
- Opened MU-MIMO option (In beta stage and we continually improve MU-MIMO performance)
- Supported auto dynamic port changing of UPnP server when ports conflict.
- Supported more ASUS Router App new features
- Added Vodafone profile in IPTV

Bug fixed
- Fixed the GUI issue for reboot scheduler
- Fixed httpd/ Telnetd/ SSH restart issue after LAN address changed

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wi...2697.zip?_ga=1.32113853.2045864217.1457697933

Thanks so much Merlin, activated here

Do you see any improvements using the mimo even at alpha stage?

I use only mobile devices at wifi

You need at least two MU-MIMO capable clients to be able to observe any performance improvement. Most people's devices are not MU-MIMO capable yet.

You need at least two MU-MIMO capable clients to be able to observe any performance improvement.

and is why it makes no sense to even download and or install the alpha or beta mu-mimo test fw unless you specifically have multiple mu-mimo clients even i havnt bothered at this stage

im actually not sure why asus open released this fw to the public instead of running a closed test group that met the conditions as there seems no value in getting incorrect feedback from ppl without mu-mimo clients , that is unless they are wanting to find out how implementing mu-mimo has screwed up the rest of the coding for normal non mu-mimo use

and is why it makes no sense to even download and or install the alpha or beta mu-mimo test fw unless you specifically have multiple mu-mimo clients even i havnt bothered at this stage

im actually not sure why asus open released this fw to the public instead of running a closed test group that met the conditions as there seems no value in getting incorrect feedback from ppl without mu-mimo clients , that is unless they are wanting to find out how implementing mu-mimo has screwed up the rest of the coding for normal non mu-mimo use
They do because people kept asking for it, filling the forums with "they promised it!!!" complaints... It also allows to test whether enabling MU-MIMO creates compatibility issues with regular clients.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It also allows to test whether enabling MU-MIMO creates compatibility issues with regular clients.
isnt that better done in the RC stage rather than alpha testing

as im aware alpha testing is usually done in house , where as beta testing is done in a close group environment where the manufacture can control the user base and their feedback and where client comparability would be tested

i just think this mass suck it and see type of testing would gain very little apart from knowing they havnt majorly screwed the coding trying to implement the new feature

as we can see from the responses here and elsewhere ppl are just downloading it and expecting improvement of the base package where in fact thats not the aim of this test firmware

isnt that better done in the RC stage rather than alpha testing

as im aware alpha testing is usually done in house , where as beta testing is done in a close group environment where the manufacture can control the user base and their feedback and where client comparability would be tested

i just think this mass suck it and see type of testing would gain very little apart from knowing they havnt majorly screwed the coding trying to implement the new feature

as we can see from the responses here and elsewhere ppl are just downloading it and expecting improvement of the base package where in fact thats not the aim of this test firmware

Asus originally announced that MU-MIMO support would be added before the end of the year. Check the date they released that first alpha firmware... Yep, was December 30th or 31st. :)

A LOT of people complained back with the RT-AC87U because MU-MIMO support wasn't available when they initially promised it. Never mind the fact that it makes zero difference since most people lack the required MU-MIMO compatible clients, people still complained anyway. So people just tried to keep on their original promise.

In the end, who cares - no harm done in having those beta releases available.

Having a a MU-MIMO client in the network together with non MU clients should also slightly improve the wireless transmission for non MU Clients when compared to a network without any MU capable clients. But that improvements are just synthetical nature ( saw some test and also done some for myself ) but nothing that really improves real world usage.

Also if i understand MU-MIMO correct it seems you more MU clients you have in the network the more it improves for non MU ones too. Caused by the better beamforming and lower processing power needed and thats why more ressources are available for the non MU clients (if only compared between MU-MIMO mixed and complete legacy wireless enviroments). I might be wrong with this.

Last edited:
Smart Connect still isn't separating out clients to the proper bands, Traffic Analyzer still isn't properly calculating total data usage, and the GUI is still lagging really bad. Not much of an improvement over the last alpha firmware they pushed out. :/

I have 2 issues when using this beta firmware:

1) iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3 has intermittent wifi drop when mu-mimo is turned on. When its turned off, no such issue ever again. I don't think its an issue for me frankly, cos i have no mu-mimo device anyway, just giving someone out there that this issue exist with ios..

2) unable to synchronise system time with NTP server after a scheduled reboot. I have to manually reboot the router via webUI to make sure it does synchronise..

Hopefully asus can look into these.. :D

I have lots of problems in this firmware on safari, have to use Chrome to configure, so reverted back to the last stable version.

I have lots of problems in this firmware on safari, have to use Chrome to configure, so reverted back to the last stable version.

This post is not very useful (lack of information) and the conclusion is sort of backwards (to me).

Why is using safari so important than the (potential) improvements that the latest firmware offers?

Can you provide more information what kind of issues are you having with Safari ?

WEB interface constantly tries to load when changing lateral tab, example go from wireless to administration the page does not load, at least when I tried version 2697 ,does not work as 1395 wich is fast, with 2697 can't use the web interface.

Tomorrow I will reset the ac5300 and try from scratch.

Tryed today, reset to factoy defaults, and yes, on OSX 10.11.4 el capitan, cant use AC5300 with safari, web interface crashes.

With Chrome Works, but I do not use Chrome, so reverted back to merlin 380.58

Last edited:
Yeah looks like the bug where the admin console at 192.168.1.1 will take forever to load for some reason. I remember a bug like this on ac88 but was fixed in later firmware.

WEB interface constantly tries to load when changing lateral tab, example go from wireless to administration the page does not load, at least when I tried version 2697 ,does not work as 1395 wich is fast, with 2697 can't use the web interface.

Tomorrow I will reset the ac5300 and try from scratch.

Tryed today, reset to factoy defaults, and yes, on OSX 10.11.4 el capitan, cant use AC5300 with safari, web interface crashes.

With Chrome Works, but I do not use Chrome, so reverted back to merlin 380.58

I have OSX 10.11.4 and the latest Beta and it's working fine.

After some dig in this, I have multiple Link Aggregation in my home, cleaned browser caches, deactivated link agrregate on AC5300, Mac Pro, and only my Synology's mantain the lag, and the problem was gone, could be related to cached content on my safari.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!