What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_23748

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thermaltake

Regular Contributor
Version 3.0.0.4.388_23748, Date: 2023/07/26

New features:
-Built-in Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN

-iPhone/Android USB auto backup WAN allows you to connect your phone to the router’s USB port and use it as an internet source. Please refer to https://asus.click/AutobackupWAN

-DDNS transfer allows you to transfer your ASUS DDNS hostname from your original router to the new one. Please refer to https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.
-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn't record data.
-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.
-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.
-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.
-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.
-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.
-Resolved the issue where the USB path is not displayed on the Media Server page in the AiMesh node

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let's Encrypt.
-Allowed binding DDNS to a user's account to reduce the risk of MITM attacks
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed CVE-2023-34359,CVE-2023-34358 Unauthenticated Denial of Service
-Fixed CVE-2023-34360 Stored XSS
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities.
-Fixed the cfg server vulnerability.
-Fixed the vulnerability in the logmessage function CVE-2023-35086/ CVE-2023-35087.
-Fixed lighttpd vulnerability, CVE-2023-35720.
-Fixed several curl vulnerabilities including CVE-2023-28322, CVE-2023-28321, and CVE-2023-28319.
-Fixed FFmpeg vulnerabilities, specifically CVE-2022-3964, CVE-2022-48434, and CVE-2022-3109.
-Fixed openssl vulnerability, CVE-2023-0464.
-Fixed ReadyMedia vulnerabilitym CVE-2020-28926.
-Fixed UPnP vulnerability CVE-2020-12695.
-Patched a command injection vulnerability to improve overall security.
-Strengthened protection against SSH brute force attacks.

Same issue with AiMesh ); only work when disable the smart connect.

1690398558019.png

I installed it so we'll see what happens.

Installing now on my 2 node ax88u mesh using smart connect without issue.

Hopefully it remains the same.

Is it normal we didn't get the fixed memory leak? We're we not affected?

No 3.0.0.6 branch for the AX88U then.

Check update not showing any new version. That means I need to download & unzip. Bit over this, if I’m honest.

Last edited:
No 3.0.0.6 branch for the AX88U then.

Check update not showing any new version. That means I need to download & unzip. Bit over this, if I’m honest.
Nothing shown here either. Give it some time....doesn't take long to unzip and upload.

Observations running on 2 ax88u in mesh since release

• More 2.4ghz "stability" at edge of range -78db approx - I'm writing this from the edge of my backyard stairs which I can never get much signal out of - at 172/154ish.
  • My 2 ax88 are quite close to each other but on different floors - I feel as though smart connect/mesh is a bit snappier to move off of connection to next node - it used to take a bit more time before moving from one to the other when I would head outside in back yard (I run roaming assistant at -65 for 2.4 and 5)
The app seems snappier on the device list ? But that may be an app update I missed last night - unsure.

This release also stops the running of script_usbmount script from running at startup. The workaround shared previous on the 58U thread (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-version-3-0-0-4-388-23403-2023-05-31.85267/) doesn't seem to be working for me yet.

EDIT: After installing Download Master, disabling it (but leaving it installed) and then adding in some of the content which was removed (under /lib the status and other), it now runs at reboot.

Last edited:
Observations running on 2 ax88u in mesh since release

• More 2.4ghz "stability" at edge of range -78db approx - I'm writing this from the edge of my backyard stairs which I can never get much signal out of - at 172/154ish.
  • My 2 ax88 are quite close to each other but on different floors - I feel as though smart connect/mesh is a bit snappier to move off of connection to next node - it used to take a bit more time before moving from one to the other when I would head outside in back yard (I run roaming assistant at -65 for 2.4 and 5)
The app seems snappier on the device list ? But that may be an app update I missed last night - unsure.
Strange cause there are no changes to wifi stability or anything like that, just some fixes that are non related to it.

I also confirm I have a drop in performance on the wifi with this firmware both 2.4g and 5g ax

Finally upgraded my XT8 to this firmware. Been having some weird issue where my ethernet gets knocked out and either I need to unplug the router and the model or sometimes I could kickstart it back by unplugging all ethernet connections then plugging them into different ports. I suspected it was my Phillips Hue Hub. None the less this kept happening more frequently, but finally updated the firmare and I've been issue free. Very close to tossing this thing in the trash.
This is a thread for the AX88U not the XT8.

Just a follow up since installing this firmware. I haven't experienced any problems as of yet and the router has not locked up like it did with the previous firmware. I still have it set to reboot twice a week after that incident. I'm hoping that wifi 7 units show up en masse soon so buyers will have some selection to choose from.

Just a follow up since installing this firmware. I haven't experienced any problems as of yet and the router has not locked up like it did with the previous firmware. I still have it set to reboot twice a week after that incident. I'm hoping that wifi 7 units show up en masse soon so buyers will have some selection to choose from.
I have it set to once a week each Sunday, 5 am, and they've been running strong no issues as well.

One Guest network UI issue

On Guest Network Creation, 5G does not have the option to change "Guest network on AiMesh" to All nodes, but 2.4G has. I use Net Analyzer Android App to check, and have the same finding. I see 5G Guest Wifi on main router only.

temp.png

However, when I edit it again, I can see the option in edit screen of 5G. And Guest Wifi are in all nodes after changed. Just a minor UI issue

Last edited:
One Guest network UI issue

On Guest Network Creation, 5G does not have the option to change "Guest network on AiMesh" to All nodes, but 2.4G has. I use Net Analyzer Android App to check, and have the same finding. I see 5G Guest Wifi on main router only.

View attachment 52700

However, when I edit it again, I can see the option in edit screen of 5G. And Guest Wifi are in all nodes after changed. Just a minor UI issue
I do have it

Attachments

• Capture d'écran 2023-08-28 161938.png
    Capture d'écran 2023-08-28 161938.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 57

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!