What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if there is a minor (potentially frustrating) error on the VPN Client GUI?

With a fully functioning active VPN Client connection, attempt to manually stop the VPN Client:

Click the OFF slider, and the 'Applying settings' spins on screen for about 10-15 secs.......but the Service State slider remains ON in green in the GUI.

I can't reproduce it here with vpnbook's free server. My guess is your client is taking longer to shut down than what the webui waits for before reloading the page, so the page gets reloaded before the client has exited. can you see if that's the case by tailing /tmp/syslog.txt whole the page is reloading?

I was getting that same error with a new ISP I had signed up with. For some reason they're DHCP server didn't like me rebooting the router to much. After many phone calls and the usual "did you try restarting your router?" questions and "check the wiring" the fix was for my ISP to give me a fixed IP address. Never had a problem since. Might try asking your ISP for the same.

I had thought of going to fixed IP as an option, however, my ISP charges $5 per month extra.

I'm hoping RMerlin can identify what exactly the issue might be, as to why it doesn't happen on older firmware.

Curl has a command-line switch to enable verbose logging. Check its usage help - I don't remember what the switch was.

In the Static Key field, same page where all keys/certs are defined.

Got it!
Need to add --crlf to the curl call. Verbose logging is -v.

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I have RT-N66U and RT-AC68U. Both has new beta release.

Everything works great on both devices in the matter of local network (wireless and wired). Problems starts with OpenVPN. As we know we have new compression method - LZ4. And here is problem. When I started LZ4 my ping in the tunel was around 284ms which is great because my VPN is between Poland and Japan. It was great value because with adaptive LZO i have around 320ms. Speed in LZ4was around 5,5Mbit (DL/UL) in LZO no more than 3,5Mbit. In the same time i noticed that LZ4 is reason of very (usualy every 45-60min) major disconnection of VPN. Only switching off and switching on server or client solve situation for short time, because reconneting (mine Connection Retry = -1) does not work at all. Log does not show anything. With LZO everything works stable.

LZ4 is great and really improve my VPN so it will be great when it will work fine in new final release.

Last edited:
Hello all. I own a new RT-AC68P. I've noticed a difference in the boot logs between the latest release (380.64_2) and the beta (380.65_beta1), which can be found in the links below.

RT-AC68P syslog 380.64_2

RT-AC68P syslog 380.65_beta1

I've also noticed that the Advanced Settings | Wireless | Site Survey scans (Searching for available networks, please wait...) (rc_service: httpd 439:notify_rc restart_wlcscan) but doesn't display anything. I had a RT-AC68U and it didn't display on that either. I have never seen the page display. I have used the lastest released firmware for a few months now. Thank you.

LZ4 is great and really improve my VPN so it will be great when it will work fine in new final release.

The firmware itself has absolutely no impact on how compression works. It's part of the OpenVPN code itself.

Measuring throughput performance with compression enabled is pointless, since that will vary depending on the type of data being transferred - large blocks of text will compress better than jpegs, for instance.

I've also noticed that the Advanced Settings | Wireless | Site Survey scans (Searching for available networks, please wait...) (rc_service: httpd 439:notify_rc restart_wlcscan) but doesn't display anything.

Make sure you don't use MAC filtering, because that would also filter the scan.

The firmware itself has absolutely no impact on how compression works. It's part of the OpenVPN code itself.

Measuring throughput performance with compression enabled is pointless, since that will vary depending on the type of data being transferred - large blocks of text will compress better than jpegs, for instance.

I agree but i just wrote my observation which are simple. LZ4 causes that whole VPN tunel collapse. i check every option and only change lz4 to lz0 makes tunnel stable.

About compression we can talk a lot i just wrote what i saw and it was base on beta.speedtest iperf etc.

I've noticed this issue reported with HP printer, scanner, copiers and possible one other brand. Am wondering if this is actually an issue with Windows 10 like I had with a newly installed Windows 10 PC a couple of months ago. I had problems getting the HP software to connect to the printer. It would find it but not connect. What finally brought the issue to a head is when Windows would not connect to the network. Nothing had changed in the router or the HP printer as the customers tablet and phone still could print. Issue was with a Windows update that messed up winsock. Problem solved by:
From an admin command prompt:

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reboot PC.
Microsoft was supposed to issue an update to fix this but...

I'll check, but it would be odd if router firmware would effect his if it was a windows 10 issue. It seems to be related to firmware based on the latest ASUS firmware for the 88u in my case. Earlier firmware does not have the issue.

ok been testing some more and there is something weird going on with the new 2.xx openvpn
using vypervpn with it.....

it works perfectly but after a few hours randomly to over 24 hours all traffic will halt.. and i get a yellow exclamation mark on my network icon in the bottom right corner of my desktop....
then after 5-10 minutes it will vanish and i will get internet activity again but at a very very slow 56k like speeds

the only way to fix it is by turning off vpn then turning it back on....

with the previous firmware there was no issues what so ever..... and worked perfectly though im a dabbler and have always upgraded firmwares, but is there a fix for it or i might have to end up reverting back to pervious firmware until there is a fix :D btw outstanding work your doing with the RT_88U :)

ok been testing some more and there is something weird going on with the new 2.xx openvpn
using vypervpn with it.....

it works perfectly but after a few hours randomly to over 24 hours all traffic will halt.. and i get a yellow exclamation mark on my network icon in the bottom right corner of my desktop....
then after 5-10 minutes it will vanish and i will get internet activity again but at a very very slow 56k like speeds

the only way to fix it is by turning off vpn then turning it back on....

with the previous firmware there was no issues what so ever..... and worked perfectly though im a dabbler and have always upgraded firmwares, but is there a fix for it or i might have to end up reverting back to pervious firmware until there is a fix :D btw outstanding work your doing with the RT_88U :)

Same here. Just my VPN is so long (PL-JP) that whole tunnel looks like it's off. In my sittuation i change Lz4 to LZ0 and switched off cipher negotiation.

I'll check, but it would be odd if router firmware would effect his if it was a windows 10 issue. It seems to be related to firmware based on the latest ASUS firmware for the 88u in my case. Earlier firmware does not have the issue.

After more testing, I actually opened a ticket on this issue with ASUS, because I believe the problem is with their newer firmware, which Merlin is building on top of. For the time being, I've rolled back to the last non-beta Merlin firmware for the 88u, since I really need the wireless scanning functionality to work given the setup of my home office.

After more testing, I actually opened a ticket on this issue with ASUS, because I believe the problem is with their newer firmware, which Merlin is building on top of. For the time being, I've rolled back to the last non-beta Merlin firmware for the 88u, since I really need the wireless scanning functionality to work given the setup of my home office.

I've concluded the same. Using two 68Us and a 3100. It's definitely with their new firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be related . . . airprint does not work properly on the last 2 official firmwares for me. The printers are there for about 10 minutes and then dissappear from the network and I am no longer able to print to them with any i-device. I had to set Enable IGMP Snooping to enable on both wireless bands to get it to work properly. I do not have to change this on Merlin firmware but I have not tried the latest beta.

rt5300. Never had problems until the new beta. I can't help having older devices that use the older g and b standards. For some reason, my small, older tablets, keep dropping the 2.4 band. I notice that pictures never download on a site such as tmz or cnet. Finally I get an error saying that my internet connection has dropped. Went bak to 380.64_2 and everything works perfectly. I will wait until the final before trying the new version.

Dear Merlin thanks again for your commendable efforts.

I'm testing VPN and if I enable "Encrypt channel" VPN does not work, client does not connect. For me it's the only aspect that does not go in VPN settings:

s.1484935273.jpg

Finally I would like to ask if you can have such a drop down menu and not this barbaric way:

s.1484935068.jpg

I'm testing VPN and if I enable "Encrypt channel" VPN does not work, client does not connect. For me it's the only aspect that does not go in VPN settings:

Did you properly configure tls-crypt? Please read the OpenVPN manual for more info. You can't just enable the option, it must be properly configured at both ends of the tunnel.

Finally I would like to ask if you can have such a drop down menu and not this barbaric way:

This cannot be put in a dropdown, because it's really a string, where the content AND the order of ciphers will vary based on your specific needs. There are many dozen possible variations. Once again, please see the OpenVPN manual to understand how this parameter is configured.

rt5300. Never had problems until the new beta. I can't help having older devices that use the older g and b standards. For some reason, my small, older tablets, keep dropping the 2.4 band. I notice that pictures never download on a site such as tmz or cnet. Finally I get an error saying that my internet connection has dropped. Went bak to 380.64_2 and everything works perfectly. I will wait until the final before trying the new version.

Once again, anything related to wifi is entirely out of my control. Try to do a factory default reset and manually reconfigure your router, and also remove and recreate the client configurations.

Make sure you don't use MAC filtering, because that would also filter the scan.

I'm using MAC filtering and site survey works fine. I can see the available wireless networks of my neighbors. As I'm using the latest non-beta it seems to be that this is a 380.65 issue.

I'm using MAC filtering and site survey works fine. I can see the available wireless networks of my neighbors.

Might be model or SDK specific perhaps. All I know is that many times in the past, people had the wireless survey feature stop working whenever they enabled MAC filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!